Share price rises over 5%

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Newcastle's share price jumped over 5% yesterday on a day of unusually active trading. At the close Newcastle had a market capitalisation - paper value - of £94.5m, about 15% more than on Monday. The identity of the purchaser is unknown but it is understood not to be the chairman, Freddy Shepherd, who is believed to want to buy out his fellow board members Sir John Hall and his son Douglas. Shepherd has around 29% of Newcastle shares, the Halls 41%, but since the confirmation in January that the Belgravia group are not interested in a buy-out despite discussions, trading has been flat. Yesterday's activity is sure to lead to speculation.

From The Guardian

Guest smoggeordie

That means that someone yesterday bought £4.725 million in shares- Some investment.

Loose change I had lying around tbh ;)

Guest killers_perm

that's a significant shopping trip - smart money is def on one of the Shepherd clan getting their wallet out

Guest stormrider

That means that someone yesterday bought £4.725 million in shares- Some investment.

just out of curiosity, how did you calculate that.

Probably an increase on the back of Kroenke's interest and investment in the scum. 

Spurs' share price has gone up 12% in the last week or so, doesn't surprse me in the least that a club of Newcastle's stature would have it's share price affected by that as well.

Guest nufc_geordie

I apologize for my poor maths (no excuse as I'm a physics PhD student), let me revise my calculation below.

If the share price went up 5% to £94.5 million then than means £94.5 million is effectively 105% of what the shares were previously.

Therefore 1% of the previous share value was £900,000, meaning 100% equates to £90 million. The buyer saved himself £225,000 from my original calculation.

It was only an investment of £4.5 million.

dont see how you derive the 4.5 figure.

Because the shares went up, deosnt mean they were the same buyer!!

I am guess they went up because of the man city takeover, some investors are speculating that NU are next.  (pretty naiive thinking if true)

Wether the club is taken over or not, the club still gets the incresed revenue for next season, from the tv deal.

Normally it would be but I guess shares can be sold for a value which they aren't worth. For example I doubt anyone could buy the club for £94m as FS would want more.

Theoretically you could but in practice as you begin to purchase shares your activity itself raises the price per share and hence the overall value of the shares on the market (market capitalisation). As you purchase enought to create a takeover, the sellers of the remaining shares raise their prices even more. Deals are usually cut above the market price because of this when someone takesover - i.e they make an offer of more than £95m in our case.

If the value of shares rises by 5% this does not mean 5% of the club was bought. However, the market reacts to both activity and information. Was there any significant information released by the club in the last few days?

No materr, a significant purchase of say £1M worth of shares can be enough of a signal for the market sellers to raise their price this creating an even greater rise in the overall market cap.

I apologize for my poor maths (no excuse as I'm a physics PhD student), let me revise my calculation below.

If the share price went up 5% to £94.5 million then than means £94.5 million is effectively 105% of what the shares were previously.

Therefore 1% of the previous share value was £900,000, meaning 100% equates to £90 million. The buyer saved himself £225,000 from my original calculation.

It was only an investment of £4.5 million.

Thats mathematically right but fundamentally wrong.

Guest nufc_geordie

Yes I know it's over simplified and it is highly unlikely that any one individual spent that all on shares but it is still a possibility!

Guest NIToon

Agree that the actual activity itself plus other market factors increase the value of the shares beyond what may have been paid for them.  I really hope it isn't one of the Shepherd clan, Sultan of Brunei would be nice!!

Um, nobody spent #4.5 million on shares, and probably nothing like it. What happened was that the price went up. No shares needed to change hands at all for that. Had oil been discovered beneath the car park the value would have soared.

Still, 5% is a big rise and suggests that either a) the market knows something we don't (unlikely, it's illegal for the market to have secrets) or b) someone has been prepared to pay 5% more for the shares today than anyone was yesterday. And given that the rise is continuing that does suggest an effort to build up a stake by someone, but the volumes shown on that Telegraph page are tiny.

As you can see from the <a href="http://mwprices.ft.com/custom/ft2-com/html-interactivecharting-i.asp?subtab=1&t=e&q=NCU&s2=uk&extelID=&ticker=UK%3ANCU&countrycode=uk&sid=122111&symb=NCU&selected=Newcastle+United&company=NEW&isin=&sedol=&ftep=">volume over the last three months</a>

there's no big trades going on.

Yup - numbers of shares traded wasn't particularly big... nufc.com says:

Friday saw another increase in the share price of Newcastle United PLC, which started the week at 62.5p and opened this morning at 70.5p.

Up to 76p at one point, the price fell back to 73.2p by late afternoon

No confirmation of who is buying (or selling) has been forthcoming, but the volumes traded so far are small.

Newspaper reports on Friday suggested that Chairman Freddy Shepherd has not altered his holding.

The price rise indicates that someone paid over the odds, but that in itself provides little indication of trends...