French Defender & "A New Solano"

sempuki

What makes everyone think Lee Clark is a s*** scout?

Why would we think otherwise? He was an average journeyman player, seems ot be a relatively ok coach, and f****** totally unproven scout. But yeah, lets send him round the world, rather than an actual scout. Genius, that.

average journey man player ....so?.not like you have to be a top class performer to be a scout,unproven scout ? how do you know what scouting he's done in the last year or is it northern monkeys turning any story into a negative on world scale.

What makes everyone think Lee Clark is a shit scout?

Why would we think otherwise? He was an average journeyman player, seems ot be a relatively ok coach, and fucking totally unproven scout. But yeah, lets send him round the world, rather than an actual scout. Genius, that.

Why would you just assume he was going to be shit at it though? There's no reason to think otherwise, but there's also no reason to think he is.

Guest optimistic nit

Do Boca Juniors have a relationship set up with any clubs?

If not, it would be worth trying to follow it through. Imagine having an exclusive link with the club with the best academy and youth scouting setup in South America.

...and a manager with no f****** clue.

It's be even more annoying than it is now. At least now we know our squad are in the main bollocks. It's be even worse torture watching Roeder destroy us with good players.

Tbh, the amount of quality in our squad is depressingly high.

No, its not. But please feel free to put on some rose tinted (or in some cases entirely opaque) glasses about Ameobi, Dyer, Shambles, Babayaro, Moore, Duff, Luque, Sibierski, etc.

really? i don't really get into a pointless debate (which would be what it would turn into) but if you look at the pedigree that duff, emre, martins, luque (although he is not roeders fault, in the main) and even parker came with, duff, martins, emre and luque were champions league players, and i believe the first 3 still are.

you then just have to look at solano, dyer and given, to find threr more. thats 6 players who could be playing CL football. you don't agree on dyer, i know, but i rate him a lot, although he is on way too much money.

taylor, milner and zog are examples of 2 youths who he has messed around completely, with the duff and villa fiasco's, and one who has (in my opinion obviously) taken a step back with roeder. he's sending the next batch of youth on loan, in my opinion one of the few good decisions he's taken, but it doesn't excuse the fact that he's shat on the above 3.

I also don't think that butt would look out of place in top 6, when bramble plays well he's a good top 8 or 9 defender as well, although he is shite a lot of the time.

half of the dissapointment comes from the fact that if you don't spend 4.4 mill on boum (plus wages (sold for 4.6 wasn't he?), 10 million on luque and add that to the afore mentioned player, you've got a top 5 squad, the other half comes from the fact that i don't know of one player signed in the last 3 years who performed better for us than his previous club, and therein lies the problem.

I think just about everyone in this thread is overestimating how much skill being a scout actually takes.  In fact, I would say that anyone who has played and coached at a high level club has the tools to spot talent.  It isn't really that difficult, especially at youth levels where the real gems always stand out in a few key areas of the game (technique, physical attributes, pace, etc).

I think just about everyone in this thread is overestimating how much skill being a scout actually takes.  In fact, I would say that anyone who has played and coached at a high level club has the tools to spot talent.  It isn't really that difficult, especially at youth levels where the real gems always stand out in a few key areas of the game (technique, physical attributes, pace, etc).

Its being able to tell if they have the ability to apply themselves in a different league. You look at someone like Veron for instance, he probably had quite a few attributes to make it in the premiership but just didnt cut it when he got over here.

Problem is, none of us know what the difference is between a good scout and a bad one. Im sure its alot harder than it looks on paper - if you watch your average South American football match, eg Boca vs River Plate, its pretty hard to tell who is good enough or suited to play in the Premiership.

What alot of us are fearing is that Clark is in the job because of what he is, rather than his skills as a professional. Of course, none of us know what his abilities as a coach or scout actually are, maybe hes good - the same applied to Dean Saunders for example, even though most of us assumed him to be a shiite coach and just a mate of Graeme. But this is a club that appointed a housewife as its dietician and thought Souness would be the man to bring us trophies, with a boardroom that consists of the brother and sister of both directors. Theyve earnt our distrust in their abilities to appoint the right people for the job.

Do Boca Juniors have a relationship set up with any clubs?

If not, it would be worth trying to follow it through. Imagine having an exclusive link with the club with the best academy and youth scouting setup in South America.

...and a manager with no f****** clue.

It's be even more annoying than it is now. At least now we know our squad are in the main bollocks. It's be even worse torture watching Roeder destroy us with good players.

Tbh, the amount of quality in our squad is depressingly high.

No, its not. But please feel free to put on some rose tinted (or in some cases entirely opaque) glasses about Ameobi, Dyer, Shambles, Babayaro, Moore, Duff, Luque, Sibierski, etc.

really? i don't really get into a pointless debate (which would be what it would turn into) but if you look at the pedigree that duff, emre, martins, luque (although he is not roeders fault, in the main) and even parker came with, duff, martins, emre and luque were champions league players, and i believe the first 3 still are.

you then just have to look at solano, dyer and given, to find threr more. thats 6 players who could be playing CL football. you don't agree on dyer, i know, but i rate him a lot, although he is on way too much money.

taylor, milner and zog are examples of 2 youths who he has messed around completely, with the duff and villa fiasco's, and one who has (in my opinion obviously) taken a step back with roeder. he's sending the next batch of youth on loan, in my opinion one of the few good decisions he's taken, but it doesn't excuse the fact that he's shat on the above 3.

I also don't think that butt would look out of place in top 6, when bramble plays well he's a good top 8 or 9 defender as well, although he is shite a lot of the time.

half of the dissapointment comes from the fact that if you don't spend 4.4 mill on boum (plus wages (sold for 4.6 wasn't he?), 10 million on luque and add that to the afore mentioned player, you've got a top 5 squad, the other half comes from the fact that i don't know of one player signed in the last 3 years who performed better for us than his previous club, and therein lies the problem.

Good post. The bit in bold I have thought for a long time.

And Clark chipped in: "We are the only Premiership club to have been invited out to the academy in Buenos Aires where we will see the best three young players, aged between 16 and 20, from every South American country.

1. It is AN academy in Buenos Aires, not necessarily a Boca Junior Academy. Imagine if Gateshead FC's academy exclusively invite Boca Junior to scout their best 3 players from England. ie the ones unwanted by Newcastle United, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc.

2. Pape Diakhate seems to have the right profile (young, versatile, height) , but I really have no idea if he is good. Hopefully someone else would shed the light.

And Clark chipped in: "We are the only Premiership club to have been invited out to the academy in Buenos Aires where we will see the best three young players, aged between 16 and 20, from every South American country.

1. It is AN academy in Buenos Aires, not necessarily a Boca Junior Academy. Imagine if Gateshead FC's academy exclusively invite Boca Junior to scout their best 3 players from England. ie the ones unwanted by Newcastle United, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc.

2. Pape Diakhate seems to have the right profile (young, versatile, height) , but I really have no idea if he is good. Hopefully someone else would shed the light.

to be fair it does then say
before the United trio take up their invitation to visit Boca Juniors.

Guest Jonny4Toon

I beginning to agree with some people in thinking that Roeder is actually fucking clueless

In fact i might make a thread about that!!!!!!