Were Chelsea a better team before signing Ballack and Shevchenko?

Guest nufc_geordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest nufc_geordie

After wtching this Chelsea team this season I can't help but think they have certainly gone backwards. The team looks slow and as if they can only play one style of football, a robotic, efficient, German-like march. Before signing Shevchenko and Ballack Mourinho played with his big man Drogba flanked with the pace/skills of Robben, Duff, SWP, J.Cole and they looked a hell of a lot more threatening in their 4-5-1 formation. Bad management in my eyes not seeing this, he should revert back to where they were and accept defeat that his signings have pulled them backwards!

Yes, they were trophy signings who they didn't need, and messed up the shape of the side. You wonder whether they were really Mourinho's decision.

They only changed the shape because Mourinho chose to do it... Why not just put them im the current style and if they dont work they can sit on the bench.

Guest nufc_geordie

They changed the shape of their side to accommodate these players. Shevchenko has to play alongside Drogba and to play those two together Chelsea need two out and out wingers (one at the very least) With their playing staff now I would have played:

---------------------------------------------Cech------------------------------------------

Ferreira-----------------------Terry-----------Carvalho------------------------A.Cole

Robben----------------------Essien----------Makelele-----------------------J.Cole

---------------------------------Shevchenko----Drogba---------------------------------

I wouldn't even play Lampard or Ballack as they are both a waste of space. Lampard proved it again last night for the 1000th time that when the pressure is on he does not perform. He only plays when Chelsea are winning or the pressure is off. Same as when he represents England. Not good enough for me.

Well, they played without Shevchenko and Ballack last night, and they were boring as f***.

Chelsea in fairness did try to keep the ball on the deck most of the time, it was the way Liverpool had 10 men behind the ball and just kept hoofing it forward, but tbh it worked so i wouldn't be complaning.

As for Chelsea i said at the start of the season that they wouldn't be the force they would be, i rather play against Shevchenko and Ballack than the likes of SWP, Robben, Duff (then)

But i think the injuries to the likes of the flair players such as J.Cole and Robben didn't help

Chelsea were all long ball in the first leg. But the amount of attractive football over the two matches was minimal. The only reason I want to see Joe Cole play is because Jose has yet to beat all football out of him and turn him into another robot.

Signing Ballack & Shevchenko didn't f*ck them up. Signing Kalou & Mikel on the otherhand...What was it, £25m for those two?! If they'd signed 2-3 better quality midfielders/strikers than those two to accompany Ballack & Shevchenko, I reckon they'd be on their way to winning all 4 trophies now.