Ryan Nelson

Guest posadageordie

Guest posadageordie

He's DC scum. f*** that.

Righto. Sounds like a fierce rivalry between DC and, er..someone nondescrip yank "soccer team".

Guest JamesD

making fun of american soccer. wow, how funny and original.

and just so you know, the term "soccer" is actually of british origin. 

Guest posadageordie

You're right, American soccer is fab and we all love it. Sorry.

You're right, American soccer is fab and we all love it. Sorry.

:lol:

Guest JamesD

seeing as how we've only had our professional league for 10 years, and it competes with more popular spors such as football, basketball, and baseball, i'd say my country is doing quite well.

Guest posadageordie

seeing as how we've only had our professional league for 10 years, and it competes with more popular spors such as football, basketball, and baseball, i'd say my country is doing quite well.

Yes, I'm glad football is competing so well with football over there.

???

;)

Guest JamesD

Hey, its just a name.  In twenty or thirty years time, i wouldn't be supprised if the U.S. was close to england in terms of soccer.

Guest posadageordie

Hey, its just a name.  In twenty or thirty years time, i wouldn't be supprised if the U.S. was close to england in terms of soccer.

The US will be an Islamic Republic in 20 or 30 years and Soccerball will be banned as an infidel sport.

The US will be an Islamic Republic in 20 or 30 years and Soccerball will be banned as an infidel sport.

:cheesy:

Guest JamesD

i know you're just being a dick, but couldn't you at least try harder? Iran, Saudi Arabia, Egpyt all have decent teams.

Guest posadageordie

i know you're just being a dick, but couldn't you at least try harder? Iran, Saudi Arabia, Egpyt all have decent teams.

Aye but Al Quaida Albion finished bottom of the West Midlands works league 5th division.

Guest JamesD

Aye but Al Qaeda Albion finished bottom of the West Midlands works league 5th division.

fixed your spelling, couldn't figure out what your joke was though, so i'll assume whatever you were trying was lame.

I'm impressed by how quickly the MLS is expanding and gaining in popularity. Like several other American sports though I just can't understand why they have to make the league and fixtures so complicated.

From what I understand:

The MLS contains 2 actual leagues/conferences. Eastern has 7 sides and Western has 6. Yet the teams from both leagues play each other home and away anyway. On top of that all the teams in the same league play each other again but only once and to make up for the odd number of teams in the Eastern conference, the sides in the Western league have a local derby to ensure everyone plays the same amount of games. Then you have playoffs and a final to decide the winner.

I figure the league is working towards introducing more teams etc but I can't see why they don't just play a straight league of 13 teams. Have each team play each other 4 times (2 at home and 2 away being the fairest way to do it) and the team that finishes on top of the pile wins.

Guest JamesD

It's a wierd system, but one which is geared towards american sports.  In leagues with single tables, the bottom teams usually get relagated, but thats not possible with MLS, because while we have other leagues (the United Soccer League has several divisions) they are seperate orginizations, unlike how all the teams here are part of the FA.

And also, the division/playoff system is just familiar to americans.  When the league first started, games which were tied at the end went to some goofy shoot out where the attacker started 30 or 40 yards out and went one-on-one with the keeper(much like hockey).  But that was phased out, and hopefully over time, when americans warm up to the game a bit more, we'll see a single table with a champion crowned at the end.

I saw those hockey style shootouts and I'm glad they opted to ditch them.

I'm hoping they can get the team count up to 16 and then look to pursue to the option of a single league. It may be more familiar to Americans but to some of us the division/playoff thing just seems like an unrequired complication of something that should be kept simple.

I've also noticed that Adidas seem to have a huge stranglehold over the whole of the MLS. I had a quick look at the kits for this season and noticed that they've done the lot. Would be interesting if other companies got a bit more involved there and to be honest I'm surprised that Nike haven't jumped on the bandwagon. Is there some sort of deal with Adidas preventing that?

I'm backing New England Revolution btw

Guest JamesD

this is the first year adidas had done all the uniforms. Last year my team (metrostars/redbulls) were nike, and i think Puma did a kit or two as well.  At this time, I don't mind adidas investing so heavily in the league. May have some good results in terms of outside exposure.  I think they've got a contract with the league for a few years, so who knows what will happen after that.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I would be. Football is culture mate not maths.

Guest JamesD

I know its a culture, but its one thats rapidly developing in the states.  its the most popular sport for young kids up to a certain age, when typically they switch to one of the larger sports.  But with our improved standing in the international game, and the growth of MLS, i see big things for our future.  One thing the United States has always produced is athletes, and when more of them start chosing soccer over baseball or basketball, we're going to have some good players.

I'm not saying we'll consistently be a better team than england, or have a comperable league set-up, but i think we'll be much closer in all aspects of the game.