Sir Alex Ferguson

Guest kingdawson

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Offside rule is simple enough. A attacker is offside if, when the played is played, he is ahead of the second last defender (keeper counts as a defender here) and is gaining an advantage by being in that position.

However a attacker can actually be played onside by a defender. If a defender plays the ball and interferes then he has just played his opposition onside. Evans played the ball and balled it into his own net too, so cisse could have been sat in the stands for all it matters, it's all Evans' fault and the goal was right to stand.

Let me give another example of being played onside. Let's look back to Jelavic goal against Ireland in Euro 2012 a match I myself was at. Irish fans went mental they were adament Jelavic was ofside and a first glance you might have thought so, but looking at  replays, it was a great decision by that linesman, yes jelevic was well ahead of the irish defence, but a ceertain clown called Ward played the ball and made a complete hash of it and played the crotian attackers onside as a result. That poor lineman, despite making a quality decision, still had coke bottles and everything throwen at him, goes to show you life for referees even when they make the best decision of their career they still get flamed and tormented for it.

There are loads more examples of being played onside too, West ham vs Villa this season, Southampton vs Pompey last season, I have a whole amunition of examples. So yes, that goal was fully legit and Alex Ferguson is a diry old wanker.

I think the point Fergie was making was that if it was a manager of a different club with a smaller profile (Newcastle, Sunderland or whoever) then there wouldn't be all the national mock outrage and days and days of talking hypocritical s**** about it on the radio, in the papers etc.

I guess you were oblivious to the outrage Pardew caused when he touched a lino.

A bit different showing a linesman and shouting at one. Look how often players of all clubs have a go at refs every weekend for example then look at Paulo Di Canio pushing one...  not exactly the same thing is it?

Were you at the match? I've genuinely never seen anything like what Ferguson was up to. Of course all managers complain, and I condemn Pardew's push but that was a push in a moment and then he's off and apologised. Ferguson harrassed all the officials throughout the game, before the second half had even started and the linesman for a decision an hour previous, while the game's being played. The linesman did well not to smack him.

Guest bimpy474

Those who say it was offside say Cisse being there meant Evans had to play the ball he was therefore active, no mention that Evans was fouling Cisse at the time.

A foul is an opinion in the view of the ref or linesman, Cisse being there was a fact. fwiw.

I guess had it been against us we would be furious and be screaming he was offside BUT laws of the game mean its a goal.. Its about time we went back to offside is offside end of.

I wouldn't go back to the old rule, my opinion is if you are in between the line of the goalposts then you are interfering, as defenders have to think about marking you and what movement you make.

The old way offside was given, a winger on the sideline would rule out a goal he was nowhere near. That was what the rule was brought in to stop, direct shots too. But imo its gone to far, so much so players standing right in front of the GK can be deemed not interfering.

Offside rule is simple enough. A attacker is offside if, when the played is played, he is ahead of the second last defender (keeper counts as a defender here) and is gaining an advantage by being in that position.

However a attacker can actually be played onside by a defender. If a defender plays the ball and interferes then he has just played his opposition onside. Evans played the ball and balled it into his own net too, so cisse could have been sat in the stands for all it matters, it's all Evans' fault and the goal was right to stand.

Let me give another example of being played onside. Let's look back to Jelavic goal against Ireland in Euro 2012 a match I myself was at. Irish fans went mental they were adament Jelavic was ofside and a first glance you might have thought so, but looking at  replays, it was a great decision by that linesman, yes jelevic was well ahead of the irish defence, but a ceertain clown called Ward played the ball and made a complete hash of it and played the crotian attackers onside as a result. That poor lineman, despite making a quality decision, still had coke bottles and everything throwen at him, goes to show you life for referees even when they make the best decision of their career they still get flamed and tormented for it.

There are loads more examples of being played onside too, West ham vs Villa this season, Southampton vs Pompey last season, I have a whole amunition of examples. So yes, that goal was fully legit and Alex Ferguson is a diry old wanker.

i was already confused.

Guest bimpy474

Sorry Roy but it doesn't work as simple as that.

When you go on the ref's course you are shown examples of offside/non offside, the reason i got into an argument was about a player being able to stand 20 yards behind the defence centrally. The ball can played down the wing to a wide player who then runs past that player crosses it for him to score. So having a 20 yard head start isn't classed as gaining an advantage as the player wasn't involved in the 1st phase of play (the ball down the wing).

Its simply wrong imo.

Man u fan at work is pretty embarrassed by him, thinks he's losing the plot.

He's been following them for over 40 years, so he's not like the usual plastic fan that thinks everything he does is fantastic.  Nice to get another perspective.

haha I always make typos when using my phone. Nevermind it's supposed to say "when the ball is played" but you knew that if you know football.

Cisse against Liverpool last season too.

Evans was caught out by Cisse's movement/positioning, tried desperately to make up for it by pushing Cisse into an offside position (or hold him there once Cisse was already off), and then tried a cheap interception that didn't work because he couldn't adjust quick enough from a desperate push to a facing the correct way.

Guest bimpy474

Cisse against Liverpool last season too.

Perfect example. Cisse was 2 yards off, but as Ben Arfa touched it (and he did imo) Cisse was back onside but gained the advantage of coming from behind Liverpool's defenders.

Clear as mud like.

When you go on the ref's course you are shown examples of offside/non offside, the reason i got into an argument was about a player being able to stand 20 yards behind the defence centrally. The ball can played down the wing to a wide player who then runs past that player crosses it for him to score. So having a 20 yard head start isn't classed as gaining an advantage as the player wasn't involved in the 1st phase of play (the ball down the wing).

Its simply wrong imo.

Yes you could argue it's not always fair and some of the senior refs I train with every regular wedensday would agree with you. One of the lads suggest the rule should changed so that if you're ahead of the defence that's that you're offside and that should be the end of it the ref should get to blow. As it stands though,it's simple IMO, but not that simple. I suppose though I have four years experience of calling offsides without any assistance too and many more years ahead so it might be easier and easier to understand for me more than most.

Guest malandro

You only have to look at Evans' reaction to know it wasn't a foul or offside. He f***ed up and knew it.

Tbf to Evans he wouldn't have clue if it was offside or not, he just fecked it up. The argument seems to be whether Cisse being there made him feck it up. I dont think so for the reasons you already said, Evans's reaction.

Imo fwiw, Cisse is on the 6 yard box right in front of the GK, that has to be influencing things in defenders thinking, but the rules are right as they stand and its a goal.

So the linesman didn't know the rules?

Given the confusion there is no way the referee should have overruled his linesman. It's not like it was a clear cut error.

How did Ferguson ever help Pardew in his career btw? Never played at Man Utd or been part of their staff?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/18/newcastle-alan-pardew-alex-ferguson

Cheers. :thup:

Couldn't remember that article but read it back then.

So, thanks Mr. Ferguson for learning Pardew how to eat the porridge. :lol:

SAF obviously took a bit of time to help AP when he was out of work. Invited him to OT, let him see how their training worked, gave him breakfast, talked to him about his career. A few years later AP is calling on the FA to investigate a man who showed him kindness... not surprising SAF took exception.

So Ferguson helps out people when they're down so that if they're ever facing him, they'll owe him one (or many). Doesn't really sound like he's doing it out of generosity.

Talksport (yes I know) have just played Pardews presser followed by Ferguson's, it really makes it obvious that Fergie has lost it. Its like some hideous bitter old relative that we've all got(sister in Law  :knuppel2: ) who goes OTT and twists everything to make it appear that they are right and the whole world is wrong. Bizarre

Do you like Total War by any chance?

Guest malandro

There are loads more examples of being played onside too, West ham vs Villa this season, Southampton vs Pompey last season, I have a whole amunition of examples. So yes, that goal was fully legit and Alex Ferguson is a diry old w*****.

Its simply wrong imo.

Yes you could argue it's not always fair and some of the senior refs I train with every regular wedensday would agree with you. One of the lads suggest the rule should changed so that if you're ahead of the defence that's that you're offside and that should be the end of it the ref should get to blow. As it stands though,it's simple IMO, but not that simple. I suppose though I have four years experience of calling offsides without any assistance too and many more years ahead so it might be easier and easier to understand for me more than most.

What would have happened if Evans had ignored the ball and tripped Cisse up? A penalty presumably but would Evans have seen red for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, given that Cisse would have been offside if he had touched the ball?

Guest bimpy474

Its simply wrong imo.

Aye, i was commenting earlier, its a nightmare for a ref with no linesman or with biased linesman from each team. When i ref i do tend to call offside as i think they should be given imo.

For me there are so many gray areas that for an amateur ref its mental. Its needs to be simple and straight forward, which it isn't imo but as you said yourself as i can to an extent, its easier to call when you doing it.

You only have to look at Evans' reaction to know it wasn't a foul or offside. He f***ed up and knew it.

Tbf to Evans he wouldn't have clue if it was offside or not, he just fecked it up. The argument seems to be whether Cisse being there made him feck it up. I dont think so for the reasons you already said, Evans's reaction.

Imo fwiw, Cisse is on the 6 yard box right in front of the GK, that has to be influencing things in defenders thinking, but the rules are right as they stand and its a goal.

Given the confusion there is no way the referee should have overruled his linesman. It's not like it was a clear cut error.

Seemed to me the linesman thought Cisse had kicked it, ref goes over says he didnt, gives the goal.

Guest bimpy474

Lino knew the rules, its just how they implement them for me. You have to remember when we say rules, they are implemented by the officials to the best of their ability, some are good, some are bad. Some will call things differently to others and that doesn't help, but its a human being thing.

There are loads more examples of being played onside too, West ham vs Villa this season, Southampton vs Pompey last season, I have a whole amunition of examples. So yes, that goal was fully legit and Alex Ferguson is a diry old w*****.

Its simply wrong imo.

What would have happened if Evans had ignored the ball and tripped Cisse up? A penalty presumably but would Evans have seen red for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, given that Cisse would have been offside if he had touched the ball?

No penalty.if Cisse gets the ball he would have then gained that advantage by being in that position and yes Evans would have denied him a goal scoring opportunity but he shouldn't have that goal opportunity granted because he's offside. As it turned out though Evans played the ball and screwed it all up and scored a OG.

I think the linesman realised he fucked up once Evans turned it in and that he'd flagged too early and it was him who instigated the consultation with the ref.  When our players went and protested it was an own goal, you can clearly see him nodding and saying "Call him over, call him over."

Guest bimpy474

I think the linesman realised he fucked up once Evans turned it in and that he'd flagged too early and it was him who instigated the consultation with the ref.  When our players went and protested it was an own goal, you can clearly see him nodding and saying "Call him over, call him over."

Aye, that and the lino may have thought that Cisse got a touch which the ref from his view would have seen he didn't.