Owen or Martins?

Optimistic Nut
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What the others have said really. Martins has most of the attributes to be a top class striker, two good feet, good in the air despite being small, very strong, powerful shot, plenty 'tricks in his locker', ridiculous pace, good link up play, the work-rate and the will to win.

So he's not perfect. If he'd been perfect, we'd not have got him for £10m at his age. With the right coaching - not what he's been getting here off Moe, Larry and Curly - he can do anything he wants. Touch and movement need work, that's what training is for. Maybe it's because our training has been so sub-standard for years that we expect the finished article immediately.

Better players around him would also help.

What the others have said really. Martins has most of the attributes to be a top class striker, two good feet, good in the air despite being small, very strong, powerful shot, plenty 'tricks in his locker', ridiculous pace, good link up play, the work-rate and the will to win.

So he's not perfect. If he'd been perfect, we'd not have got him for £10m at his age. With the right coaching - not what he's been getting here off Moe, Larry and Curly - he can do anything he wants. Touch and movement need work, that's what training is for. Maybe it's because our training has been so sub-standard for years that we expect the finished article immediately.

Better players around him would also help.

Players who know what they're doing would be a start.

Nut, have you seen who has been coaching Martins for the past year?

I would like to see how he is with Big Sam in charge.

But the 3 years before that, he'd been playing alongside and under some of the best strikers of the last decade. Surely he'd have learned the basics already?

He's been in a new league and scored 17 goals, 11 in that league and you think he doesn't know "the basics"? Howay Nut, you're not stupid.

Well ok, he knows them. Just not very good at them imo. I'm just not as optimistic about him as others are. I'd sooner we kept Owen, cashed in on Martins, and signed Viduka & Bent.

what do you expect, hes signed for spurs you know ;)

Id still say Viduka will be a nailed on signing though, exactly the type of player big sam likes and is on a bosman.

Dont reckon we will see either of Owen or Martins leaving, although the former would be the obvious choice to leave if either was going to.

Bent is a better player than Martins by some way at the minute, I'd say. I don't know how much Martins will improve, but Owen is no guarantee of goals either given his injury problems.

I don't think Bent has anywhere close to the potential Martins does.

Maybe not, but I think Bent is the better at the moment. As for potential, I'd say Bramble had more potential to be a top-class centre-back than Taylor, but I know who's the better and will be for years to come.

why would anyone want to get rid of Oba, the boy is 22, has stuck 17 in his firt season, has had very little support and has potentially 10 years at the club, owen is class no doubt but for what we are paying him has been a ridiculous investment. i haven't seen so much raw talent in a newcastle shirt for such a long time, why would you not want to mould something special. i i remeber correctly, people wanted rid of C.Ronaldo after his first half season...at 18. because of his output, well oba's output has been 17 goals. the the list of 'crap' players who come to the ePL then turn out to be class is endless...henry, berkamp overmars to name a few, well obas output has been better than all there firsts seasons. Showing that he is capable of something.

Can I just say that Martins only scored 11 Premier League goals his other 6 goals came against frankly appalling European opposition. I know it's still not a bad return, but it's the same number as the likes of Bobby Zamora, Kevin Doyle, etc.

Guest TheOrder

Can I just say that Martins only scored 11 Premier League goals his other 6 goals came against frankly appalling European opposition. I know it's still not a bad return, but it's the same number as the likes of Bobby Zamora, Kevin Doyle, etc.

AZ Alkmaar, appalling opposition?

11 prem goals is very good for a first season.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Keep Oba. Getting better players around Oba would help the team, not necassarilly him. He could be playing up front for AC and with his inconsistency he would still have absolute shockers beyond belief. We need to have a team so that when he does have a good day on the pitch we can fully harness it. He really needs to eliminate the whole "forgetting how to play football" side out of his game though, hugely frustrating.

Only four players scored more than 12 tbf.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Against AZ first half he was simply awesome. Against others I could have contributed more in a footballing capacity than he did.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Against AZ first half he was simply awesome. Against others I could have contributed more in a footballing capacity than he did.

really??

Yup. There are a few games in his Newcastle canon where he's done literally NOTHING! Just bad touches and wasted balls.

really??

Although I've never seen AS9 play, I suspect he's telling the truth. In some matches, Martins was almost embarassingly bad. Worse than that fella who said he was George Weah's cousin.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I remember people were saying the same about this bloke after his first season in the Premiership...

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=277255&plid=12303&clid=&cpid=8

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=275703&plid=12303&clid=&cpid=8

Drogba was sheer class for Marseille though. I'm not saying Martins is shit personally, just inconsistent. I defended him to the hilt when he arrived and people were saying we should have got Shuyt

really??

Although I've never seen AS9 play, I suspect he's telling the truth. In some matches, Martins was almost embarassingly bad. Worse than that fella who said he was George Weah's cousin.

lol, i remember that....that was hilarious, Mr Souness if i remember correctly. goes to show.....