lovejoy

not sure what the need for this is?

2001 West Ham (h)

2-1 (1-0)

Premiership

Cort(32)

Solano(56pen)

Lampard(80pen)

United finally ended a rotten run of seven league games without a win, gaining just two out of 21 possible points - enough to get most managers the sack at the start of the season. Bobby Robson romanticists please note....

They're simply pointing out that some Newcastle fans have over egged Robson's regime in hindsight to a ridiculous degree. SBR did well overall but that's not to say there were some pretty crappy runs and woeful players in the team before he struck gold with Bellamy and Robert.

Alex Ferguson went 12 games without winning.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I think a lot of fanboys seem to want to remember the good couple of years we had under Robson and choose ignore some terrible football before then.

My point is if you want to see something special you have to wait, its the case with practically all managers.  Moyes almost got Everton relegated, O'Neill took three seasons to sort Villa out, Ferguson, as I said, went on a few terrible runs etc. etc.

2001 West Ham (h)

2-1 (1-0)

Premiership

Cort(32)

Solano(56pen)

Lampard(80pen)

United finally ended a rotten run of seven league games without a win, gaining just two out of 21 possible points - enough to get most managers the sack at the start of the season. Bobby Robson romanticists please note....

They're simply pointing out that some Newcastle fans have over egged Robson's regime in hindsight to a ridiculous degree. SBR did well overall but that's not to say there were some pretty crappy runs and woeful players in the team before he struck gold with Bellamy and Robert.

They reckon it took approx 870 years, I prefer the rolling 5 year plan more.

Yeah, makes big sams 5 year plan look a piece of piss. 

2001 West Ham (h)

2-1 (1-0)

Premiership

Cort(32)

Solano(56pen)

Lampard(80pen)

I think a lot of fanboys seem to want to remember the good couple of years we had under Robson and choose ignore some terrible football before then.

My point is if you want to see something special you have to wait, its the case with practically all managers.  Moyes almost got Everton relegated, O'Neill took three seasons to sort Villa out, Ferguson, as I said, went on a few terrible runs etc. etc.

To get them managers some fucker had to get sacked though. I think out of them listed only Moyes has had a really bad season at them clubs.

2001 West Ham (h)

2-1 (1-0)

Premiership

Cort(32)

Solano(56pen)

Lampard(80pen)

To get them managers some fucker had to get sacked though. I think out of them listed only Moyes has had a really bad season at them clubs.

Ferguson had finishes of 11th and 13th, Robson had two 11th placed finishes.

I don't really understand what you're getting at anyway, we shouldn't have stuck with Robson after he finished 11th twice?

I don't really understand what you're getting at anyway, we shouldn't have stuck with Robson after he finished 11th twice?

When people talk about say look keeping your manager works it shite really, people mention Arsenal, the fella (Bruce Rioch) before Wegner got just over a year , someone has to get sacked for the right guy to get the job. It is wins & a  belief that a club is going in the right direction that keeps managers in jobs not here is 10 or 15 year contract.

When people talk about say look keeping your manager works it s**** really, people mention Arsenal, the fella (Bruce Rioch) before Wegner got just over a year , someone has to get sacked for the right guy to get the job. It is wins & a  belief that a club is going in the right direction that keeps managers in jobs not here is 10 or 15 year contract.

Yeah I agree with that.  Other fans always use that argument against us and I realise there's no point sticking with a manager if he's never gonna be good enough (Fat Sam, IMO) but sticking with Robson was always gonna be a wise choice without the use of hindsight, he was one of the world's best before he joined us.

• 3 weeks later...

Load of shite on .com in their Liverpool report saying that relegation could be a good thing so that we can have a clearout.

We can have a clearout without getting fucking relegated! Idiots!

Guest johnson293

Load of s**** on .com in their Liverpool report saying that relegation could be a good thing so that we can have a clearout.

We can have a clearout without getting f***ing relegated! Idiots!

Can we though?

Not saying that relegation would be a good thing, but I can imagine many of the underperforming, high earning players at the club would want their agents to try and find them moves back to the top flight, if we went down.

We weren't able to shift the likes of Barton, Smith and Duff in recent windows - I imagine they'd all happily stay for their pay cheques if we stay up.

... also that is not exactly what they said.

If we have to go down to the Championship to rid ourselves of the clowns and conmen that pollute the dressing room, that might not be the end of the world.

A clearout without relegation requires much more money than we have.

What do you mean?

Selling players when we're in the Premiership is bound to get us more money than if we sold the same players when we're in League 1 because we won't be seen as a team who's desperate to sell. And with regards to replacing the players, if we're planning to replace them with Championship players then it'll cost the same amount either way. And if we eventually make it back up, we're going to have to buy better players and hence be stuck with some CC players that aren't of use to us anymore.

This bs (not at you, Dave) about it being easier to rebuild and clear out the shite if we're relegated has to stop.

What do you mean?

Selling players when we're in the Premiership is bound to get us more money than if we sold the same players when we're in League 1 because we won't be seen as a team who's desperate to sell. And with regards to replacing the players, if we're planning to replace them with Championship players then it'll cost the same amount either way. And if we eventually make it back up, we're going to have to buy better players and hence be stuck with some CC players that aren't of use to us anymore.

This bs (not at you, Dave) about it being easier to rebuild and clear out the shite if we're relegated has to stop.

I mean in terms of being able to actually get players out. If we're demanding more money because we're in the Premier League I think less clubs will be interested. There's also no reason for the likes of Smith, Duff etc to actually want to give up their cushy contracts.

Considering how little most of our players are worth, I believe freeing up their wages will be much more of an issue than fees received.

aye, we need to build with what we have, slowly but surely.

owen, barton, viduka, geremi, cacapa all pretty certain to be shown the door if we stay up imo, so whilst this will def free up some wages (and a shotload of them), it means we pretty much need 5 new players before we even start.

If we have to go down to the Championship to rid ourselves of the clowns and conmen that pollute the dressing room, that might not be the end of the world.

Alright Mr Pedant!

The clowns and conmen can be got rid of without relegation imho. Is that better?

And I can't understand what Dave is on about, are you saying that it'll be cost effective to get relegated?

Alright Mr Pedant!

The clowns and conmen can be got rid of without relegation imho. Is that better?

And I can't understand what Dave is on about, are you saying that it'll be cost effective to get relegated?

I am not trying to be pedantic, but I feel that many on here just have an axe to grind against Niall and Biffa... that I just don't understand. They run a blog that has been kept up to date on current info for 15 years(!). I don't agree with everything they say, but I am impressed with their dedication and sacrifice.

Anyway, in their unfinished match report that sentense was slightly different and began: "If there is a silver lining to be had..." they are just thinking out loud about what good could possibly come from relegation. It then changed to the quote above. They are grasping at straws ... as are we all.

Of course not.

Thanks for that insightful reply.

Well what are you saying???

Try reading my post, it's fairly straightforward.

In case you can't be arsed: I think the wages are more of a restrictive issue to us than the fees we may get for them, and we'll find it easier to get rid of players in the fizzy pop league because they will want to leave.

I certainly don't want us to go down, I just don't see us being able to afford a mass turnover of playing staff unless we go down. If we stay up I expect much less transfer activity.

What do you mean?

I mean in terms of being able to actually get players out. If we're demanding more money because we're in the Premier League I think less clubs will be interested. There's also no reason for the likes of Smith, Duff etc to actually want to give up their cushy contracts.

Considering how little most of our players are worth, I believe freeing up their wages will be much more of an issue than fees received.

There were rumours of bids for Smith & Barton last summer.  It's conceivable that there are managers out there who believe that they can get players back to their best or who are looking at an established international name for their squad.  There are already rumours about Allardyce being interested in Barton.  Smith & Duff still have their fans amongst other fans of other teams who haven't watched them serve up utter dross week after week.  Plenty of people thought Carr was still a good player even after 90% of Newcastle fans had realised that he was a poor substitute for a tub of lard.  They see the highlights on Match of the Day where they'll see a decent pass or tackle and think they're doing it all the time, not realising that was probably the only time during the whole game they didn't screw up. 

There are enough people out there who will believe that the lack of ability and work in a player is due to poor management not due to the player being overrated, overpaid and lazy.

Guest johnson293

Of course not.

Thanks for that insightful reply.

Well what are you saying???

Try reading my post, it's fairly straightforward.

In case you can't be arsed: I think the wages are more of a restrictive issue to us than the fees we may get for them, and we'll find it easier to get rid of players in the fizzy pop league because they will want to leave.

I certainly don't want us to go down, I just don't see us being able to afford a mass turnover of playing staff unless we go down. If we stay up I expect much less transfer activity.

Exactly - doesn't matter what league we are in, we aren't gonna get decent fees for the likes of Smith, Duff, Barton, Geremi, etc. anyway - and they haven't been in a hurry to leave, as no one else will pay them what we currently are, and will be for the next few years to come.

However, if we go down, I think most of them will see themselves as too good/big to play in the championship, and will then be desperate to leave, to get back to where they believe they belong.

So we'd probably get the same nominal transfer fee's for them, but also a good few hundred grand off the wage bill every week.

What do you mean?

There were rumours of bids for Smith & Barton last summer.  It's conceivable that there are managers out there who believe that they can get players back to their best or who are looking at an established international name for their squad.  There are already rumours about Allardyce being interested in Barton.  Smith & Duff still have their fans amongst other fans of other teams who haven't watched them serve up utter dross week after week.  Plenty of people thought Carr was still a good player even after 90% of Newcastle fans had realised that he was a poor substitute for a tub of lard.  They see the highlights on Match of the Day where they'll see a decent pass or tackle and think they're doing it all the time, not realising that was probably the only time during the whole game they didn't screw up. 

There are enough people out there who will believe that the lack of ability and work in a player is due to poor management not due to the player being overrated, overpaid and lazy.

Fair enough, I hope you're right.

Alright Mr Pedant!

It's not pedantic at all.  Pointing out a single positive aspect of relegation is very different to saying relegation as a whole could be a good thing.  I would agree it's a positive aspect.

That last line is spot on Dave. Something people will have to come to terms with. If we do stay up, don't expect a clear out to the degree people hope for, it's just not going to be that easy.

That last line is spot on Dave. Something people will have to come to terms with. If we do stay up, don't expect a clear out to the degree people hope for, it's just not going to be that easy.

redknapp style it'll have to be, a few strategic purchases and sales plus some good loans