Juve In For Martins.

Crumpy Gunt

Guest nufc 4 life

What experience do Duff & Milner have in playing central-midfield? What experience do Owen & Martins have of playing in a front three?

Duff and Milner have both played in the middle before and they could adapt to it in theory it could work as you would have a bid stiker knocking the ball down then the pace of Martins and the finesse of Owen would finish the move off.

Guest alex

How many times last year was the ball lumped up in the air to him? AT 5ft 7 he is never going to excell at that type of game and I think if Sam can work on the lad's first touch and get a regular strike partnership set up then we will see a lot more goals from him.

We haven't played to his strengths, he's never had a decent partner and the team has struggled. So, all in all he did ok. The bit about his first touch shows a complete lack of understanding about football though imo. Sorry.

How many times last year was the ball lumped up in the air to him? AT 5ft 7 he is never going to excell at that type of game and I think if Sam can work on the lad's first touch and get a regular strike partnership set up then we will see a lot more goals from him.

We haven't played to his strengths, he's never had a decent partner and the team has struggled. So, all in all he did ok. The bit about his first touch shows a complete lack of understanding about football though imo. Sorry.

Whatever!

Talk to the hand sister cause the face ain't listening.

eh? Sister?  :idiot2:

It was a joke. :lol:

So are you telling me that a 22 year old cannot improve his game any? So apart for fitness reasons why do professional footballers train? Is Stevie Taylor and James Milner not going to improve? You are mad if you think that Martins cannot improve his game with the correct coaching!

I'm saying his movement and touch won't improve significantly. If you can't grasp that from what I've said already though....

SO tell me again why you didn't apply for the Newcastle manager's job when Roeder was sacked resigned. Or the England job when Sven went if you are such a footballing mastermind?  :laugh:

Of course his game can improve ffs

Still struggling with comprehension eh? Oh well.

Guest alex

What experience do Duff & Milner have in playing central-midfield? What experience do Owen & Martins have of playing in a front three?

Genius idea like, no width and lightweight in the middle.

Duff is used to playing as the left man in a front three he did it enough times at Chelski but thats it, non of the others can play in that kind of formation, a front three is a hard lineup to get right you need a big striker for the central role then 2 really attack minded wingers rather than three strikers, but you also need the wide men to be willing to drop back into midfild to make a row of 5 when you havent got the ball. Its a lineup I don't like much as you are asking your wide strikers to put in much more graft than is really needed and therefore they tire quicker than if you just played a 4-4-2 with 1 of the central midfilders bursting a ball to get forward to support the front two.

Guest alex

The formation had Duff playing in a central midfield three anyway.

Aye but thats where you want your Parker/Diop/Makelele type player not a Duff type player.

I know.

Guest NUFCnutter

So lets go with your theory alex, Oba is the best he can ever be now, he will only get worse, so lets sell him to a club who in the future will be competing at the same level we aspire to. Makes perfect sense. Will you be one of the fans next may who will be calling for Allardyce's head when Newcastle fail to win the Premier League, both cups, the Tour de France and the Davis Cup too? FFs, the lad hasn't been here a year yet, he has played with some colleagues who have performed awfully, he has still scored goals and he is only 22. Yep your right, get him on the first plane to Turin!!!

Will you be one of the fans next may who will be calling for Allardyce's head when Newcastle fail to win the Premier League, both cups, the Tour de France and the Davis Cup too?

:lol:

Guest Gemmill

So lets go with your theory alex, Oba is the best he can ever be now, he will only get worse, so lets sell him to a club who in the future will be competing at the same level we aspire to. Makes perfect sense. Will you be one of the fans next may who will be calling for Allardyce's head when Newcastle fail to win the Premier League, both cups, the Tour de France and the Davis Cup too? FFs, the lad hasn't been here a year yet, he has played with some colleagues who have performed awfully, he has still scored goals and he is only 22. Yep your right, get him on the first plane to Turin!!!

A graduate of the Leazes Mag school of debate. 

Guest alex

Doesn't say much for your argument when you have to attribute things to me I never even said, does it?

Guest NUFCnutter

How should I take that?  :cheesy:

Guest Gemmill

How should I take that?  :cheesy:

Badly.

fuck Darren Bent

I tell you it is Luther Blisset. Bent is never worth more than £10m if that.

Martins is doing ok, but Anelka would be the player to start with Owen.

Anelka's a class player, my opinion of him as a player has changed throughout this season.

But he wouldn't be a good signing. He's not getting any younger and he'd fuck off in no time. It's what he does. He left City after three seasons. He left Fenerbahce claiming he was 'bored', this after they qualified for the Champions League. He joined Bolton and he said in his press conference, i remember, something along the lines of "if Bolton get into the Champions League i might stay here a while...". they're in Europe and he wants to go, alledgedly.

Atleast with Martins we've got a loyal player who sees his future, for the next few years atleast, with this club and actually gives a damn.

Not denying Anelka's quality. It's undoubted. But it wouldn't be a good move.

I'll get shot down here, but for £9/10m, I would have expected more from Martins in terms of overall ability, first touch, reading of the game, ability to make intelligent runs and general awareness of what is going on around him.

If we had paid £3m for him then I might overlook/accept some of the glaring issues he has with his game but I seriously question whether he will ever get that all round game that one should expect for paying the sum of money we did.

However, I'll be honest, if a bid of say £12m came in for Oba and a bid of £12m+ came in for Owen - I'd get shot of both and get a couple/three strikers in that 1. Will have the all round ability to score and also make goals and 2. Will be reliable and not be on the treatment table for half the season and 3. Make Newcastle their priority, not England.

I'll keep dreaming then......

PS. Why does the alterantive to Martins have to be Anelka?  Plenty of other strikers out there surely?

It doesn't 'have' to be Anelka, it's just one guy's opinion.

martins goes awol and you say he sees his future with the club?

Does anyone know the full story on that yet? Shepherd himself said it was a 'misunderstanding'. There's that story, that's inevitably been exaggerated, and then there's the countless pieces from Oba - sine day one - where he's stated how much he loves it here and how well he wants to do for the club. I think he wants to stay.