Newcastle United - that loving feeling

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

"I knew all about the fans as my dad was one and I'd always thought they were good fans during my time at Liverpool whenever I played against their team, but I wasn't awestruck by them or anything like that. Not until I joined the club as a player that is. No set of fans love their football team like the Geordies do or get behind their team as much."

"It didn't take me long to accept the challenge of reviving the club. I couldn't say no to those fans otherwise I'd never have forgiven myself. I knew I had to somehow help them out and give them a club they could also be proud of. And I'd like to think in my time as manager myself, my players and the board did that. But we couldn't have done it without them, they were terrific."

"We had some great times together and we almost cracked it. Someday someone will and that day will be very special. No-one deserves success like the Geordies. I'm just sorry I couldn't quite deliver it."

"We didn't discuss tactics much, I sent my players out with one mission - to play for the fans. Do that and no team will be able to beat us I thought and to be fair, no-one could on our day."

"I've been in winning dressing rooms with some great characters and very experienced men for club and country, but the spirit at Newcastle was phenomenal."

"Who motivates the moitivator? Those fans, they're incredible."

The words of one Kevin Keegan, the original messiah that built the club that Michael Ashley (our new messiah?) is poised to buy.

It is clear to me (and KK has said this himself), that he fell in love with the club and us fans, we were somehow like a magnate to him both as a player and as a manager.

KK has a very good head for business and was known throughout his career as a footballer to be just as motivated by money as success. He made sure in every move or contract renewal that he was richly looked after. The orginal David Beckham if you like. That all changed when he come to Newcastle however, first as a player (he says for the first time in years he got to enjoy football again at Newcastle as a player, away from the pressure and almost robot like way he'd managed his life and how his success came about as a footballer in those great teams he played in), and then as a manager where he literally fell for the Geordie nation bollocks which contrary to popular opinion wasn't invented by Sir John Hall but by us lot (inadvertantly), that was the aura we gave off back then as a club, fans and as a city - of a black and white Geordie nation. That's where Sir John Hall got it from and indeed KK and since the media.

KK had made his money and enjoyed success by the time his career took him to Tyneside, now he wanted something more which is where NUFC and us lot come in.

Henry Winter the respected journalist once called us the most interesting club in football or something along those lines and on John Barnes' Football show when discussing a Toon topic said "there is something special about Newcastle". He isn't the first to be taken in by Newcastle United.

Sir Les anyone?

Supermac? Aaron Hughes is from Northern Island but has went on record saying when his career is over he and his family will move back to Newcastle, same with Shay Given. Why has Shay not left this rabble by now? Because he still believes, he knows what success here will mean to him, far more than at anywhere else, because he has an emotional attatchment to the club and area now.

Anyway, my point.

KK came to Newcastle originaly because it was a great deal for him, it was all self serving at first which will be the case with Mike Ashley who lets not kid ourselves will want to see a return on his investment, but in time KK fell in love with the club and that is what I hope will happen to our prospective new owner which is down to us really, the vibes we give off. We need to make him feel 100% welcome and be positive about the future like we were under SJH and KK, and together we can take off again. He has to become more than a new owner, a man who puts money into the club. He has to become a part of it. One of us. That's the only way to be at this daft club of ours.

If Ashley does fall in love with the club and sees it more than a toy or an investment, we'll go places. If not, I'm not so sure.

This goes for Big Sam too.

I'll end on this from KK once again

"There is no better place to be on a match day than St. James' Park and I've been fortunate enough to have experienced it on the pitch as a player and in the dugout as manager."

PS I realise this may come over as sentimental bolloks to outsiders and indeed some of wor lot but so fuck.  :thup:

Guest Invicta_Toon

"Freddie shepherd is a great man, NUFC wouldn't have got off the ground without him"

-Kevin Keegan

I'd love to see Keegan back as a director of football, not the bollocks that is todays director of football but a proper director.  Somebody who reports to the chairman and plans what happens on the field, not "do we buy X Y or Z" but somebody who goes to the manager and says this is what we want to do this season then the manager says "right, I want player XY and Z" then Keegan goes to the chairman and says I want this amount of money and then he goes out and gets who the manager wants.

I'd also like to see a proper board of directors who are responsible for the different areas of the club, football, finances, commerce, communications etc.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I'd love to see Keegan back as a director of football, not the bollocks that is todays director of football but a proper director.  Somebody who reports to the chairman and plans what happens on the field, not "do we buy X Y or Z" but somebody who goes to the manager and says this is what we want to do this season then the manager says "right, I want player XY and Z" then Keegan goes to the chairman and says I want this amount of money and then he goes out and gets who the manager wants.

I'd also like to see a proper board of directors who are responsible for the different areas of the club, football, finances, commerce, communications etc.

yes, his record with fulham, england and man city fills me with confidence

I think we'd bring the best out of him, again.

Aye. This is his home.

He'd be a hell of a draw to players who may not know Allardyce.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Aye. This is his home.

lives in glasgow now, doesn't keep up with the toon at all

he's a washout, leave him be FFS

There will always be a spark in KK somewhere.

Just depends on what would bring it out.. cant think of anywhere other than Newcastle that would bring it out although I am a firm believe in the philosophy of never going back. Its never quite the same.

Just depends on what would bring it out.. cant think of anywhere other than Newcastle that would bring it out although I am a firm believe in the philosophy of never going back. Its never quite the same.

I'd agree as manager but not as a director, he'd have a different role so it wouldn't be the same, Keegan being a player here didn't stop him doing a job as manager.

Guest Invicta_Toon

his soccer circus has brought his spark out again, although most likely because there is no pressure to it (although he has spent virtually every day there since it opened)

Aye. This is his home.

lives in glasgow now, doesn't keep up with the toon at all

he's a washout, leave him be FFS

Still a hero in my eyes. Experienced 2 fantastic periods of watching the Toon while he was here as a player and then manager. Unforgettable.

I'd agree as manager but not as a director, he'd have a different role so it wouldn't be the same, Keegan being a player here didn't stop him doing a job as manager.

Yeah... true.

Be great having him around the club again

Let him go, we need to move on. Hard as it is..

This is hopefully a new era for us and we need new people top to bottom..

Guest Armchair Pundit

"I knew all about the fans as my dad was one and I'd always thought they were good fans during my time at Liverpool whenever I played against their team, but I wasn't awestruck by them or anything like that. Not until I joined the club as a player that is. No set of fans love their football team like the Geordies do or get behind their team as much."

"It didn't take me long to accept the challenge of riviving the club. I couldn't say no to those fans otherwise I'd never have forgiven myself. I knew I had to somehow help them out and give them a club they could also be proud of. And I'd like to think in my time as manager myself, my players and the board did that. But we couldn't have done it without them, they were terrific."

"We had some great times together and we almost cracked it. Someday someone will and that day will be very special. No-one deserves success like the Geordies. I'm just sorry I couldn't quite deliver it."

"We didn't discuss tactics much, I sent my players out with one mission - to play for the fans. Do that and no team will be able to beat us I thought and to be fair, no-one could on our day."

"I've been in winning dressing rooms with some great characters and very experienced men for club and country, but the spirit at Newcastle was phenomenal."

The words of one Kevin Keegan, the original messiah that built the club that Michael Ashley (our new messiah?) is poised to buy.

It is clear to me (and KK has said this himself), that he fell in love with the club and us fans, we were somehow like a magnate to him both as a player and as a manager.

KK has a very good head for business and was known throughout his career as a footballer to be just as motivated by money as success. He made sure in every move or contract renewal that he was richly looked after. The orginal David Beckham if you like. That all changed when he come to Newcastle however, first as a player (he says for the first time in years he got to enjoy football again at Newcastle as a player, away from the pressure and almost robot like way he'd managed his life and how his success came about as a footballer in those great teams he played in), and then as a manager where he literally fell for the Geordie nation bollocks which contrary to popular opinion wasn't invented by Sir John Hall but by us lot (inadvertantly), that was the aura we gave off back then as a club, fans and as a city - of a black and white Geordie nation. That's where Sir John Hall got it from and indeed KK and since the media.

KK had made his money and enjoyed success by the time his career took him to Tyneside, now he wanted something more which is where NUFC and us lot come in.

Henry Winter the respected journalist once called us the most interesting club in football or something along those lines and on John Barnes' Football show when discussing a Toon topic said "there is something special about Newcastle". He isn't the first to be taken in by Newcastle United.

Sir Les anyone?

Supermac? Aaron Hughes is from Northern Island but has went on record saying when his career is over he and his family will move back to Newcastle, same with Shay Given. Why has Shay not left this rabble by now? Because he still believes, he knows what success here will mean to him, far more than at anywhere else, because he has an emotional attatchment to the club and area now.

Anyway, my point.

KK came to Newcastle originaly because it was a great deal for him, it was all self serving at first which will be the case with Mike Ashley who lets not kid ourselves will want to see a return on his investment, but in time KK fell in love with the club and that is what I hope will happen to our prospective new owner which is down to us really, the vibes we give off. We need to make him feel 100% welcome and be positive about the future like we were under SJH and KK, and together we can take off again. He has to become more than a new owner, a man who puts money into the club. He has to become a part of it. One of us. That's the only way to be at this daft club of ours.

If Ashley does fall in love with the club and sees it more than a toy or an investment, we'll go places. If not, I'm not so sure.

"There is no better place to be on a match day than St. James' Park and I've been fortunate enough to have experienced it on the pitch as a player and in the dugout as manager."

PS I realise this may come over as sentimental bolloks to outsiders and indeed some of wor lot but so f***.  :thup:

Great post HTT, totally agree with you mate. I think the recent depression that's hit NUFC over the last few years has left a cloud hanging over us, we need to banish it and look on this as a brilliant new opportunity. I for one am excited by the prospect of what we may become, where we may go, it feels great to be able to look forward to the next season!

"It didn't take me long to accept the challenge of riviving the club. I couldn't say no to those fans otherwise I'd never have forgiven myself. I knew I had to somehow help them out and give them a club they could also be proud of. And I'd like to think in my time as manager myself, my players and the board did that. But we couldn't have done it without them, they were terrific."

Sir Les anyone?

Anyway, my point.

PS I realise this may come over as sentimental bolloks to outsiders and indeed some of wor lot but so f***.  :thup:

Cracking post. Exactly how I feel. This place is still special, we are a little bit out on a limb geographically and we are different. People know and recognise that, Geordies and outsiders alike.

I know I might be being a little naive but I honestly think we have something here, it’s still there, let’s hope Ashley and his team can get the magic back.

Having lived all around the country, I do believe that this club is unique.  People outside the area just don't get it and so ridicule us.

Keegan is my hero but that was then and we need to move on.  I think sometimes we are too sentimental about our old players and the continuous disappointment with so many current and recent players makes us cling even more so the memories of years gone by.

I think there was a real partnership between the supporters and the players in Keegan's time.  Because he understood the fans, he made his players embrace them and the rapport between those players and the supporters is maintained even today.

I would love the same thing to be recreated because with the club and supporters as one, we are a powerful force.  However, I fear that those days have gone because so many players are so alienated from the supporters these days.

However it is a fresh start for everyone and I hope we the supporters also improve our act next season and really get behind the team and manager and make them fall in love with the club again.

Guest Invicta_Toon

It will never be the same

Ashley doesn't know the fans, Allardyce doesn't know the fans

Ironically, the fans want the only bloke at the club who really knows what it means, kicked out

Guest Knightrider

Aye, 100% fresh start. KK would make a great DOF or Chairman though, and in an interview with Tyne Tees a few weeks back he did say when asked whether he'd be back in football "you never know". I think the right offer will always tempt him back, maybe not management or in the Premiership, but that spark will never leave him.

What promted this thread was reading back through loads of my old Toon clippings from the KK days, I still have the pullouts from all the papers when we won promotion to the Premiership and all our end of season stuff from the Chronicle, those 80 page specials or whatever they were called.

Some of the headlines...

"Next stop the Premiership Title, says KK" - this was days after we were actually promoted.

"We can be as big as Barcelona, says Sir John" - again, days after promotion.

"We will buy the best"

"This is just the beginning"

"Toon plan 80,000 seater stadium and sports academy"

Happy days indeed.

Guest Knightrider

Ironically, the fans want the only bloke at the club who really knows what it means, kicked out

I agree we'll never get those days back, but I don't think personnel has anything to do with it, and as for FS,  he knows what it means, but has never been able to harness it or tap into it, except when he's shopping for a trophy player...

The irony depends whether or not you believe that is conducive to success in modern football.

Guest Invicta_Toon

The irony depends whether or not you believe that is conducive to success in modern football.

it seems to be what people are tugging themselves about regards keegan

he's hardly got anything else going for him has he?