Manchester United agree Anderson fee

Guest kingdawson

Didn't Ferguson say Man U were after 3 player in the transfer window? With the deals for Anderson, Nani and Hargreaves that probably means Owen wasn't one of the 3 originally mentioned?

Beat me by milliseconds  :thup:

I reckon Anderson wasn't in the plan, it just happened, Owen or a striker is was and is still a target for the club.

Buying these 3 means that Man U have severely strengthened the current best team in the league. Chelsea are playing catch-up for the first time in 3 years. They've got to better these 3 deals if they're going make a run at the title. Now that Chelsea have tightened the purse-strings, I just can't see them matching Man U next season after this.

Apart from Owen Hargreaves Man Utd have consolidated rather than improved the quality of the first team squad. If Chelsea could get a top striker who works well immediately with Drogba then  Man Utd and Chelsea's first teams are evenly matched again.

Buying these 3 means that Man U have severely strengthened the current best team in the league. Chelsea are playing catch-up for the first time in 3 years. They've got to better these 3 deals if they're going make a run at the title. Now that Chelsea have tightened the purse-strings, I just can't see them matching Man U next season after this.

Apart from Owen Hargreaves Man Utd have consolidated rather than improved the quality of the first team squad. If Chelsea could get a top striker who works well immediately with Drogba then  Man Utd and Chelsea's first teams are evenly matched again.

Wasn't that the plan with £30m Shevchenko last year?

Chelsea will find it hard to catch up, there central midfield is boring and industrial, infact bar Cole & Robben who are always injured Chelsea are a team of defenders.

Wasn't that the plan with £30m Shevchenko last year?

Chelsea will find it hard to catch up, there central midfield is boring and industrial, infact bar Cole & Robben who are always injured Chelsea are a team of defenders.

Yeah, just go on and shows that buying big star doesn't necessarily mean improving the squad.

Chelsea's midfield might be boring and industrial but they are powerful and effective. With Essien going back to midfield and Mikel stepping up I think their midfield next year will be better than this year.

Don't care how you slice it - Man U are significantly stronger than they were a week ago. They've added 3 top players to their squad and Chelsea & Jose will have to pull a few rabbits out to get near them.

Guest gggg

Nani >>> Richardson

Anderson >> Solksjaer

the squad as a whole as got stronger which is what let them down at the end of the season, the first team squad even if Nani and Anderson dont force their way into it is still the best in the country.

So whats that then?

Nani --- Anderson --- Hargreaves --- Ronaldo

or

Giggs --- Scholes --- Carrick --- Richardson

With Anderson in a forward role

I despise Man Utd, soley for the glory hunting scum bags i know, im gonna be f***ing sick next season. Ashley wants us to win the league? Man Utd are in another universe to us.

Nani >>> Richardson

Anderson >> Solksjaer

the squad as a whole as got stronger which is what let them down at the end of the season, the first team squad even if Nani and Anderson dont force their way into it is still the best in the country.

I don't disagree that the squad has got stronger as a whole but I don't think that the first team is strengthened by the arrival of them. Hence Chelsea don't have much really to catch up to compete with their first team. Richardson is crap but he only featured in meaningless games. Anderson is an attacking midfielder and Solksjaer is a striker.

Man Utd were not let down by fringe attacking players. They were let down by first teamers (Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney etc) who couldn't beat Chelsea in the FA Cup, and defensive back ups who didn't defend properly against AC Milan (Brown, Heinze).

The GUardian

United to splash £35m on Nani and Anderson

Dominic Fifield

Thursday May 31, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

Manchester United last night delivered a stunning statement of their intent to retain the Premiership title next season by potentially taking their summer outlay beyond the £50m mark after moving swiftly to agree deals in principle to sign the Sporting Lisbon winger Nani and Porto's Anderson, two of the most coveted rising talents in Portugal.

A delegation from United, led by the chief executive, David Gill, and the assistant manager, Carlos Queiroz, spent yesterday in Lisbon in formal talks with officials from the Portuguese clubs, with agreements smoothed out with both before being outlined publicly late last night.

Article continues

According to the selling clubs, the total fees to secure Nani, 20, and Anderson, an 18-year-old Brazilian winger, could rise to as much €50m (£35m) with appearances and honours over the course of their contracts which, allied with Owen Hargreaves' imminent arrival from Bayern Munich for £17m, represents the most lavish spending of the Glazer era at Old Trafford to date. United's initial outlay to buy the pair from Portugal is more likely to be around £15m.

The trio of signings will send shockwaves through the Premiership. While Chelsea could match such financial clout if they desired, it remains to be seen whether Liverpool and Arsenal can match such spending power. Indeed, not since Wayne Rooney's arrival in the autumn of 2004 for an initial £20m have United spent this much to refresh their playing squad.

The implications for the chasing pack may be grim, but Sir Alex Ferguson will be celebrating something of a coup in the market. Nani, a long-standing target for United, had made his intentions clear to seek a new challenge having rejected the opportunity to extend his current contract at Sporting. The Premiership champions faced a second struggle with Tottenham Hotspur to secure his signature but, where they lost out to the Londoners over the £10m Wales international Gareth Bale last week, they moved quickly yesterday to ensure they did not endure similar disappointment over Nani.

The winger has been bought as a long-term successor to Ryan Giggs, who retired from international football yesterday, and is happiest operating down the left, with the 20-year-old keen to emulate his compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo's impact at Old Trafford. Sporting had hoped to persuade Ferguson to allow Nani to remain at the club on loan next season. The youngster is considered the most exciting homegrown forward to have emerged in Portugal since Ronaldo, with Sporting only reluctantly conceding they could not keep him. "Going to England is an attractive option for me because the Premiership is one of the best leagues in the world and it would be a good challenge," said Nani last week. "I believe I would progress there."

The move for Anderson, tracked by Real Madrid and Chelsea, came as more of a surprise, not least for the speed at which the deal was completed. The Brazilian will require a work permit but has long been considered an imposing talent for the future. The winger was crowned player of the tournament in the 2005 under-17 world championship and has been named by the national coach, Dunga, in a preliminary squad for this summer's Copa América. The pair's arrival should ease the burden placed on Paul Scholes and Giggs, both entering the twilight of their careers, over the next few years.

All being well with their medicals, the pair will join Hargreaves, currently back in Canada, to be unveiled next week, with United's spending unlikely to end there. Gabriel Heinze, the Argentina left-back, is expected to leave in the close season with Ferguson keen to find extra cover at full-back to support Patrice Evra.

Stars in the making

Nani

The 20-year-old made his first-team debut for Sporting aged 18 and played in all six of the club's Champions League group games last season, scoring against Spartak Moscow. Made his Portugal debut in September last year.

Anderson

Like his countryman Ronaldinho, Anderson came through the ranks at Gremio. Won the player of the tournament award at the Fifa under-17 world championship in 2005 and has been named in Brazil's squad for the forthcoming Copa America.

Absolutely fantastic signings for Manure and the premiership, its the start of possibly the craziest summer in transfer history IMO.

Villa, Us, Chelsea, Manure, Westham, Man City will all be spending big, plus with the windfall all the other teams will have extra change to go out and buy.

Id think these two became available and Manure jumped on them, wouldnt have thought either were in the three he was talking about.

Hargreaves, a LB, a Striker.

Id be hugely suprised if Manure or any of the big guns went for Owen this summer, they will wait to see if he is back to his best and whether his injuries are behind him or not before they spend money on him.

Id expect him to stay here until christmas at least.

Huntelaar incoming? would be a fantastic signing again for manure.. A decent goal machine is the missing link.

The premiership will be great watching next season!

Yes good signing for them but i was thinking more along the lines of a top quality striker that they desperatly need. Is Anderson going to be this player?

If I was Spurs fan I wouldn't be saying Man Utd need a top quality striker. In fact I would stop pissing around on a Newcastle United message board & join a load of Man Utd boards (Username: CockneyRed946946494 :thup:) & start spouting crap that a striker is not needed & the search for the new Red Nev starts this summer before a hunt for a top quality  striker begins.

Guest gggg

Man Utd were not let down by fringe attacking players. They were let down by first teamers (Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney etc) who couldn't beat Chelsea in the FA Cup, and defensive back ups who didn't defend properly against AC Milan (Brown, Heinze).

They offered nothing going forward in both games because they were knackered imo due to the fact the only options Fergie had through the season were to play Richardson or Fletcher. If they can rest Scholes, Giggs, Rooney and Ronaldo more they will be twice as strong come the end of the season.

Great signing

The next Ronaldinho

Who ManU also nearly signed before his move to Barcelona, who at the time was playing average for PSG and has since then gone on to be the best player in the world (untill recently). Ferguson clearly likes his Brazilian playmakers.

CHELSEA STRIKE BACK!!!!

Chelsea Sign Oldham Youngster

Chelsea have signed talented teenager Danny Philiskirk from League One side Oldham.

The 16-year-old, son of Latics youth team coach Tony, has put pen-to-paper on a four-year deal at Stamford Bridge.

CHELSEA STRIKE BACK!!!!

Chelsea Sign Oldham Youngster

Chelsea have signed talented teenager Danny Philiskirk from League One side Oldham.

The 16-year-old, son of Latics youth team coach Tony, has put pen-to-paper on a four-year deal at Stamford Bridge.

next ronaldinho :thup:

Friend:  :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb:

Me: Lets not get ahead of ourselves with this, they arent kaka and henry

Friend: Have you ever seen Nani play?

Me: Have you?

Seriously he wont have, just will have heard what others have said and arghh, i hate the fact he WILL have never seen them play but thinks they are the next best thing!  :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:

Seems to know his stuff.  :crazy2:

Fairpoint but along with Steve Curry & a selected few others, Bob is one Fergie's trusted journo's. It may not come off, but because of the friendship between Sir Alex & Bob the story has mileage.

Would Rooney and Tevez work together? They seem like quite similar players to me.

This is ManU. Their movement is insane, and as a result Rooney can play well for them in a number of positions because he will always get to end up in a dangerous position.

Tevez would probably be the most static player in their team, leading the line with his back to goal and holding the ball up, whilst occasionally drifting to the left flank, whilst the rest of the team swarm around the pitch like bees and cause havoc, Rooney included.