Owen impressed by Big Sam

Guest NIToon

Poor results on the pitch, making a Top 4 club a much more attractive proposition to Owen.

More Owen's fault for going to the WC unfit and endangering his career.

Poor results on the pitch, making a Top 4 club a much more attractive proposition to Owen.

Name one football fan in the world who would not play in the World Cup despite being passed as fit by both club and country doctors.

Care to prove his state of fitness around the time of last year's World Cup?

Name one football fan in the world who would not play in the World Cup despite being passed as fit by both club and country doctors.

He wasn't match fit and was why he came away with an injury, it doesn't matter if he was right to go, he wasn't fit, it didn't pay off, and he and the FA are partly responsible for where we've finished in the league and therefore responsible for us not having Europe and why he's in the position of leaving.

Care to prove his state of fitness around the time of last year's World Cup?

Not match fit, simple as really.

How many games did he play in 2006?

He wasn't match fit and was why he came away with an injury, it doesn't matter if he was right to go, he wasn't fit, it didn't pay off, and he and the FA are partly responsible for where we've finished in the league and therefore responsible for us not having Europe and why he's in the position of leaving.

Lets put this differently...

If Steven Taylor got injured at the World Cup when playing when not fully fit, missed almost an entire season, then activated a release clause to join a top 4 side, would you blame him?

So you seriously think he would have said no to going to Germany on account of not being 100% match-fit?

Lets put this differently...

If Steven Taylor got injured at the World Cup when playing when not fully fit, missed almost an entire season, then activated a release clause to join a top 4 side, would you blame him?

I'd shoot him tbh.

So you seriously think he would have said no to going to Germany on account of not being 100% match-fit?

He should of, hindsight or not he wsn't fit, he hadn't even played a game of football for us since Dec 2005, throughout his ENTIRE career Owen has been known for taking at least 3 matches to get fit and amongst the goals, this alone should of made him realise he was going to be a hindrance rather than an asset at the finals.

He should of, hindsight or not he wsn't fit, he hadn't even played a game of football for us since Dec 2005, throughout his ENTIRE career Owen has been known for taking at least 3 matches to get fit and amongst the goals, this alone should of made him realise he was going to be a hindrance rather than an asset at the finals.

It was a risk him going, fair enough... but it's the World Cup we're talking about. He was passed fit. Imagine if you were passed fit, but decided not to play, and then went on to see your teammates lift the trophy? You seriously think he'd have passed that up just to guarantee he would be OK for us (and who is to say he wouldn't have been injured in the Intertoto or in a friendly for us, or even training?)?

It was a risk him going, fair enough... but it's the World Cup we're talking about. He was passed fit. Imagine if you were passed fit, but decided not to play, and then went on to see your teammates lift the trophy? You seriously think he'd have passed that up just to guarantee he would be OK for us (and who is to say he wouldn't have been injured in the Intertoto or in a friendly for us, or even training?)?

True, but the point being he is more to blame for the current situation of him leaving for a CL club than GR and i firmly believe that.

Steven Taylor would have played if he found himself in Owen's situation.

Obviously you don't like Owen, and there are things you are entitled tohold against him, but playing in the World Cup is not one of them.

True, but the point being he is more to blame for the current situation of him leaving for a CL club than GR and i firmly believe that.

I can see where you are coming from, but as James said, if Roeder was a better manager perhaps we would have been a CL club ourselves this coming season.

It was a fluke and could have happened to anybody.  You're reading into it too much, TT.  He could have played the whole season and turned on his leg like that.  Why is he to blame for the current situation?  Elaborate please.

I can see where you are coming from, but as James said, if Roeder was a better manager perhaps we would have been a CL club ourselves this coming season.

Not necessarily CL, but high up enough the league to look in a healthy state, with Owen less likely to want to move given that he'd be uprooting his kids once again.

Shearer retiring, and your £17m striker out injured as the FA abused him in the summer, then your budget blown on a gamble that just about worked out in terms of goals, pretty much difficult for any manager to deal with.

If SA had been here at the start of last season he wouldn't of bought Martins, but do you think GR had any other choice than buying star studded player Damien Duff then the rest of his budget on Martins?

FS had decided what the club 'needed' and that was it. GR was just a puppet for a year, now FS has had to allow a manager with a plan in as his didn't work.

It was a fluke and could have happened to anybody.  You're reading into it too much, TT.  He could have played the whole season and turned on his leg like that.  Why is he to blame for the current situation?  Elaborate please.

Partly, that injury had a series of knock on effects that wouldn't of happened.

The original point made by T27 was GR was in part to blame for the Owen release clause, whereas i'm saying Owen himself is more to blame than GR and is as equal as the daft cunt that put it in in the 1st place.

(As the clause insists we don't get Europe, and the clause is available to CL qualifying teams only)

Melan, we were barely a UEFA Cup team last year.  Even with Rafa as manager our squad was no where near CL quality

Never said for a minute that it was, that it should have been, or that I expected it to be. I think using the Champion's League in that post was a mistake on my part, though I only used it because TT did.

More this tbh...

Not necessarily CL, but high up enough the league to look in a healthy state, with Owen less likely to want to move given that he'd be uprooting his kids once again.

Personally, I don't really blame Roeder for any of this, but it's fair enough in my opinion to say that if Roeder was a better manager, and that if we'd reached a higher position in the league and really looked like a team on the up, then this might have affected Owen's judgement. As it stands however, that's all in the past now as Roeder is gone, and Shepherd looks to be following. We're a different prospect in my eyes, both to existing and potential players.

The original point made by T27 was GR was in part to blame for the Owen release clause, whereas i'm saying Owen himself is more to blame than GR and is as equal as the daft c*** that put it in in the 1st place.

I agree with you on that point, mate.  GR is not to blame for being an average manager thrown into an impossible position.  He didn't even sign Owen, FFS.

The release clause is Soumess/Fred's/Owen's cuntish work. 

The original point made by T27 was GR was in part to blame for the Owen release clause, whereas i'm saying Owen himself is more to blame than GR and is as equal as the daft c*** that put it in in the 1st place.

I agree with you on that point, mate.  GR is not to blame for being an average manager thrown into an impossible position.  He didn't even sign Owen, FFS.

Spot on.  :thup:

So the clause is triggered due to Owen being injured all season and us not having enough upfront to pick up the points to qualify for Europe. So the fuker wants to fuk off at the 1st opportunity.

This is why am fuked off with Owen, he's a cunt.

Melan, we were barely a UEFA Cup team last year.  Even with Rafa as manager our squad was no where near CL quality

Never said for a minute that it was, that it should have been, or that I expected it to be. I think using the Champion's League in that post was a mistake on my part, though I only used it because TT did.

More this tbh...

Personally, I don't really blame Roeder for any of this, but it's fair enough in my opinion to say that if Roeder was a better manager, and that if we'd reached a higher position in the league and really looked like a team on the up, then this might have affected Owen's judgement. As it stands however, that's all in the past now as Roeder is gone, and Shepherd looks to be following. We're a different prospect in my eyes, both to existing and potential players.

Couldn't agree more with your last paragraph, mate.  It's 4 years too late, but at least it's happening.  O0

Spot on.  :thup:

So the clause is triggered due to Owen being injured all season and us not having enough upfront to pick up the points to qualify for Europe. So the fuker wants to fuk off at the 1st opportunity.

This is why am fuked off with Owen, he's a c***.

As much as I love Little Mickey when he's scoring for England and us.  He's not bigger than the Toon.  :nope:

No one is going to spend £9m on someone thats been consistently injured the past two years, certainly not the top four clubs in the country.

He is staying here til at least January until he has proven he has:

a) got over his injuries

b) shown he is still the player he once was, or could be.