Onyewu using Summer to seek for new club

Thespence

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Oguchi Onyewu has a little more at stake this summer than just the fate of the U.S. national soccer team.

Released from Newcastle last month, Onyewu is looking for a new European club to play for next season. He knows that a productive summer with the national team could only increase his options.

"I think with my status right now of course every match is an important match," Onyewu said. "But I'm not going to focus too much on that. I don't think this summer is a make-or-break summer but it definitely could help."

Onyewu gets his first shot Saturday, when the U.S. national team plays China in an exhibition game at Spartan Stadium in San Jose.

There are other Americans looking for new teams. Midfielder DaMarcus Beasley was let go by Manchester City of the English Premier League, and goalkeeper Kasey Keller was dropped by German club Borussia Moenchengladbach.

Onyewu, who was on loan from Belgian club Standard Liege, started seven games and appeared as a substitute in four more last season for Newcastle, which finished 13th in the English Premier League.

Onyewu has until the end of August to find a team, meaning his summer performance with the national team could be an important factor. The physical defender said his preference is to remain in England, where he said the high level of play has helped improve his game.

"You know you'll be challenged the whole game every game," he said. "There are certain leagues that you know you can breeze through a couple of matches because the level of play is not the same as your team. In the Premiership, you can't be relaxed any game because every team is capable."

Saturday's game against China also marks the first for the United States since coach Bob Bradley was given a contract through the 2010 World Cup. Bradley was hired as the interim coach last December and went 3-0-1 in exhibition games to earn the long-term commitment.

"He knows he can maybe relax a little bit knowing the title is safe for a while," Onyewu said. "I think it's important for the national team to have stability. Now that he's been given that job he can shape and build the team the way he wants to now that he has some security."

Bradley gets his first real competition after the China match. The U.S. opens play next Thursday in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, the championship of North and Central America and the Caribbean. After that tournament, the United States plays as an invited guest at the Copa America, South America's championship.

Bradley took over from Bruce Arena, who coached the national team for eight years, leading the United States to the quarterfinals of the 2002 World Cup before last summer's disappointing first-round exit in Germany.

"Last summer is last summer. I don't think any of us are really dwelling on it," Onyewu said. "Everybody knew it would be a difficult World Cup. We drew a difficult group. Unfortunately the results were not there for us. This is a completely different national team. We can't try to compare this team to the team of last summer because it's not the same team

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Not good enough for us which is a shame as I liked the idea of such a beast in defence!

SIGN NALDO SIGN NALDO

Not good enough for us which is a shame as I liked the idea of such a beast in defence!

me too!

Just got excited when someone was running at him. He didnt have enough time to prove himself tbh...

He did look a bit dodgy though.

I would of kept him, if only for his cameo sub appearances, taking throw-ins.

Wasn't a fee of under 2m agreed? I thought for this kind of money he would have done at least as a decent backup player with a chance to prove himself more.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

He was fucking shit. We should never add players to our squad who have similar ball control to Ramage, I think we should keep Ramage as a barometer to determine if a player is too shit for us. If they are anywhere near as bad as him we should steer clear.

I would definately love to see him come to Toronto

As a hockey player for the Mape Leafs?

Cheeky get. 

Yeah that is cheeky, the Bonk and Wellander are clearly Canadiens fans.

[sneaks away quickly]

Toronto FC! Toronto's a football town, now. Hadn't you heard?  ;D

Well TFC need to get some footballers on its roster, I mean how can anyone take you guy serious when the likes of Danny Dichio,Carl Robinson & Andy Welsh playing for you. It is like TFC is some dumping ground for shite x-makems.

Spotted Ronnie O'Brien on the roster , I remember when he was a kid & Boro dumped him him as junior & he ended up getting a deal with  Juventus, which was rather strange.

He was dodgy yes, but he was probably shit nervous too. Coming to a club with big defensive issues and having a deadline of what 8-9 games? Anyway,

I'd keep him as 4th choice CB, and given more time, I'd bet his ball control would improve, because he was willing to learn and was always trying to improve, whereas Ramage thinks he's the next Terry

Well TFC need to get some footballers on its roster, I mean how can anyone take you guy serious when the likes of Danny Dichio,Carl Robinson & Andy Welsh playing for you. It is like TFC is some dumping ground for s**** x-makems.

Spotted Ronnie O'Brien on the roster , I remember when he was a kid & Boro dumped him him as junior & he ended up getting a deal with  Juventus, which was rather strange.

Yeah, Dichio is everyone's favorite, for sure. I just ignore the whole Sunderland thing, as best I can.

O'Brien is a great player for us, though. I mean, the MLS isn't at the same level as the Premiership.

If we wanted a 4th choice defender I would have given Bramble a new contract rather than spend £2m on someone that looked no better, infact you could argue he looked worse.

If we wanted a 4th choice defender I would have given Bramble a new contract rather than spend £2m on someone that looked no better, infact you could argue he looked worse.

yeah Bramble did actually look better at the time. But we know bramble, and we wouldnt be sure if he'd ever improve. But I think Gooch could up his game to become a decent back-up or 1st/2nd choice

yeah Bramble did actually look better at the time. But we know bramble, and we wouldnt be sure if he'd ever improve. But I think Gooch could up his game to become a decent back-up or 1st/2nd choice

He could or he could not and we have pissed away another £2m + wages on someone who doesn't look good enough but we hope improves.

Well TFC need to get some footballers on its roster, I mean how can anyone take you guy serious when the likes of Danny Dichio,Carl Robinson & Andy Welsh playing for you. It is like TFC is some dumping ground for s**** x-makems.

Yeah, Dichio is everyone's favorite, for sure. I just ignore the whole Sunderland thing, as best I can.

O'Brien is a great player for us, though. I mean, the MLS isn't at the same level as the Premiership.

Do TFC get any extra cash off the MLS because the Canadian $ is weaker than the US OF A $ .  Have the French-Canadians got a team ?

Guest s0ftcore

Beasley lookin for a new club? Wasn't he on loan from PSV? Exciting little player, shame we have too many wingers because he's definitely worth a shout