The future chairman of NUFC

ChezGiven
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dein tops Ashley's wish list

Newcastle's would-be new owner Mike Ashley has targeted his first big signing - former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein.

Ashley, who is set to take full control of United, possibly this week, wants friend and neighbour Dein to run the club and deliver his dreams of glory.

Publicity-shy Ashley is loath to involve himself in day to day matters at St James's Park.

Instead, the billionaire wants to install a dynamic, experienced operator in the dual role of chairman/chief executive long performed by current Newcastle supremo Freddy Shepherd.

And Dein - the man who took Arsene Wenger to Arsenal in 1996 - fits the bill perfectly.

During 24 years with the Gunners, Dein forged a reputation as one of European football's key powerbrokers.

As well as establishing Arsenal as a formidable force on the pitch, he became vice-chairman of the FA, before representing the Premier League on the FA board.

Dein was pivotal in the FA's successful bid to land Sven-Goran Eriksson as England coach and was one of the panel who chose Steve McClaren as the Swede's successor.

He was also chairman of the G14 group of European super clubs until leaving Arsenal last month amid a row over his support for a proposed takeover of the club by American tycoon Stan Kroenke.

Dein and Ashley have homes literally yards apart in London's exclusive Totteridge Common, and know each other well.

But it may need much persuasion for Dein to come on board at Newcastle, with the long-time Gunner harbouring long-term hopes of a return to Arsenal.

It is understood that Kroenke would look to reinstate Dein in an executive position if he goes on to win control of the London giants.

However, if Dein was to take charge of Newcastle, it would place a further question mark against the future of new United boss Sam Allardyce.

During his days at Bolton, Allardyce was fiercely critical of Dein's influence within football.

And that raises the distant but tantalising prospect of Arsene Wenger - who was dismayed by long-time ally Dein's exit from Arsenal - being targeted for the manager's job at St James's Park.

My preference is for Ashley, the bloke has declared his interest and now others are starting to come out of the woodwork, at least the press are bringing them out of the woodwork.  Ashley has given us hope and I can't see him ever bringing the name of the club down to the levels that others have.

Ashley is my choice, I'd prefer not to be owned by the Chinese anyway, I don't trust them although that could be more down to perception than fact.

Neither do I. I ordered Special udon noodles the other day and I get chow mein? What the fuck's that about?

Because Udon noodles are Japanese probably....

Japanois oui.  :)

What kind of tease is it to order Udon noodles anyway?

They all look the same to me. The noodles that is.

Udon are fat and greasy and egg based. Shit in soups.

What? and the chinese dont?

:cheesy:

I thought the Chinese were more sparrow based? Or is it birds nest? Or is that Madonna's new far east tour?

Voted Ashley but actually interested in the Chinese bloke. Do keep an open mind. We have no idea what his plans for the club are. Who knows? Maybe he's willing to throw more money at the club than Ashley? He already does own one football club so he'll have an idea how to run it as well. Keep your mind open until all this is decided for us because it's not like we can actually do much about it. It'd be a real shame if the new owner bought in and is instantly disliked by the fans for no real reason.

Voted Ashley but actually interested in the Chinese bloke. Do keep an open mind. We have no idea what his plans for the club are. Who knows? Maybe he's willing to throw more money at the club than Ashley? He already does own one football club so he'll have an idea how to run it as well. Keep your mind open until all this is decided for us because it's not like we can actually do much about it. It'd be a real shame if the new owner bought in and is instantly disliked by the fans for no real reason.

Come on man lets not turn this into an Ashley thread. :tongue:

YOu interested in Asian soup cuisine?

Guest graemeh72

Come on man lets not turn this into an Ashley thread. :tongue:

YOu interested in Asian soup cuisine?

Stunningly off topic

Ashley gets props for being the person who started this all off, having the desire in the first place.

Then again the thought of being able to call the chairman Emperor Ming is too tempting an alternative.

I would not be happy if the club was in Chinese ownership.  I 'd be very wary of their motives and would not believe the true motives would be made public.  I say this with having worked for a company that has been involved in working with Chinese companies.

Ashley gets props for being the person who started this all off, having the desire in the first place.

Then again the thought of being able to call the chairman Emperor Ming is too tempting an alternative.

Will there also be a mini-ming?

Will there also be a mini-ming?

There could be some great headlines...

Guest Alan Shearer 9

http://www.unc.edu/~sstaff/images/bastard.jpg

I will destroy you all

I think this guy should be chairman and whenever there needs to be  a statement made on television, he will just sit there in silence for a minute and then projectile vomit over the journalists. Yes, if only the club would listen to the fans like myself then we would really go places.

I would not be happy if the club was in Chinese ownership.  I 'd be very wary of their motives and would not believe the true motives would be made public.  I say this with having worked for a company that has been involved in working with Chinese companies.

It's the same thing with Ashley man. He's said all the right things through his 'source' till now but of course, we won't know what he'll actually do when (if?) he gets full power. Anyone who's looking to buy us will essentially be focused on the profit at the end of the line. SJH, Freddy, Ashley, whoever really. And the only way they're gonna get this profit is if we're successful enough.