Allardyce to try Dyer at Right Back..?

Stu

Guest alex

Clueless, true, but our 5 year old lass has more meat on her bones than he does, fragile doesn't describe the lad...

How many tackles will he get in before his ankles give way?

Similar build to Ashley Cole. Don't think he's ever had ankle problems. Not saying it will work, just don't see the problems you see as necessarily being problems. I'm more concerned about his positional sense.

McLaren should put Beckham at RB, with Bentley in front of him.  He seemed to do well in that sort of makeshift role in the World Cup when Lennon came on, and its not as if Estonia's going to give him a ton of problems, they haven't even scored a goal yet.

I really like the idea of Beckham as a right back. I beleive he could be fantastic in the position. Weve seen it a few times in Real.

Dyer at right back? For fucks sake i've heard it all now, one good game against Luxembourg and a half against Villa a few years back and he's the new Cafu?

He's a fucking waster, get rid of the little twat.

Looks like he may play at RB for England agianst Estonia, not to sure why on earth they would try that but I cannot see Dyer being happy at RB, seeing as how he hates playing RW and RB is a less attacking role..

Guest DavB93

Looksl ike he may play at RB for England agianst Estonia, not to sure why on earth they would try that but I cannot see Dyer being happy at RB seeing as how he hates playing RW and RB is a less attacking role..

See how he performs for England at RB and then Sam can decide.

I would also like to get rid of Dyer, but I believe his days of throwing a temper tantrum when asked to play out of position are over. To be fair his attitude has improved since SBR got sacked (a long time now) its just that his skill level and injury record has not.

Guest Triglett

I would also like to get rid of Dyer, but I believe his days of throwing a temper tantrum when asked to play out of position are over. To be fair his attitude has improved since SBR got sacked (a long time now) its just that his skill level and injury record has not.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40988000/jpg/_40988447_dyer_bowyer203.jpg

Forgetting something?

Guest Stephen927

Wouldn't like to see him there on a permanent basis, but as an alternative and against relatively poor opposition (such like Estonia), he could do a good job there, in an attacking sense.

Forgetting something?

No, but good use of a photo.

Guest Knightrider

Tackling is not an essential attribute for a defender, reading the game well is though. I'm all for experimenting and trust Big Sam. However ideally we should gte rid of him.

Guest Knightrider

Why has this got a new thread.

Already discussed here :http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=41061.msg857479#msg857479

Think it deserved to be highlighted. Pedantic tbh.

I'm just taking the piss out of people on here who whinge about there being more than one thread per topic and the mods who insist on merging topics.

Patter this cunt mods

/skunkers

;)

I'll not be disappointed at all if he leaves, but I'm well up for playing Dyer at full back if he's happy with it. If he's not open to the idea he'll eventually start to sulk I reckon, it'll be quite the test of Allardyce's management skills getting the best out of him at full-back and keeping him happy too.

He has all the physical tools to be a top quality full-back though in my opinion. What he'll have to learn is the tactical side of things, and he'll have to play disciplined football. His size isn't an issue at all, Ashley Cole and Evra are smaller for instance. Tackling isn't massively important for a full-back, its more about positioning and reading the game. His quickness should help him against wingers as they can't beat him for pace while good, clear tactics will help him to function competently at least in defense.

What we get going foward is the real upside. The pace and stamina to get up and down the flanks all day and create chances on the overlap. He's also got pretty good control and can play a bit, which will be a very, very welcome change from our full backs of times gone past. His crossing has never been good but its hardly awful and can be improved.

If McClaren was thinking of playing him RB wouldnt it have made sense to try him there last week when he had the chance to experiment?

Dyer threw the toys out of the pram at SBR for playing him out of position, but has always been happy to do it under Souness/Roeder.

Id expect him to do anything Allardyce tells him, he isnt going to be moving anywhere much better than here and like mentioned his versatility will only enhance his England chances.

Sceptical he could do a great job there, but you can indeed look at ashley cole as being lightweight, will be interesting to watch if true.