Ickle Mickey or Obafindme. Who are we keeping?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tevez is in the same boat as Owen. Happy where he is but if a big club comes in, he's off like a shot. Not a cat in hell's chance he'd move from West Ham to Newcastle.

Difference is we're potentially a big club, and thats without a huge extrenal investment - weve had the resources and infrastructure to challenge the big boys, but weve failed in recent years due to poor decision making at board level and not having the setup in place to take advantage of our resources. Outsiders who know a bit about our club know this, and theyll probably see that these problems should be rectified with the appointment of Allardyce - add the possible takeover by a cash rich billionaire, and its hard not to see us as a step up from West Ham, who only have the latter.

Granted were not a true big club in respect of current success, but then by the same standards West Ham have hardly been successful, getting relegated recently and nearly being relegated again, whilst it was only a few years ago that we were title pretenders and playing in the CL. Hence, if noone is willing to match Tevez' valuation but we were, then what would stop him coming to us?

Tevez is in the same boat as Owen. Happy where he is but if a big club comes in, he's off like a shot. Not a cat in hell's chance he'd move from West Ham to Newcastle.

I have no doubt a large bid would secure Tevez unless we were up against Liv or ManU (Chelsea have sorted their strikers).

Owen is simply a world class finsher. I cant see how some people are picking Oba ahead of him.

- Finally, Owen as a player. Great finisher, yes, but he can also go for games without doing anything at all. He brings very little to the team and often spends the entire game waiting for a through ball that you need a Zidane to play, and on top of this hes lost some pace which makes it even harder to use his movement effectively as some of the balls hes looking for he simply doesnt have the pace to make up the ground.  Hes also a problem tactically - can he play in a 4-3-3 that Allardyce has always favoured with Bolton?

And Oba is different?

Oba is far more involved in open play than Owen. Unfortunately, having an erratic touch and often being on a different wavelength to his teamates reduces his contribution to the team.

Thats different to Owen, who hardly gets involved at all because of the way he plays the game. He has little interest in coming deep for the ball, his game isnt about holding the ball up or using it effectively when he has it. Its all about staying on the last defender's shoulders for the entire game. Point being, its often as though the team is playing with 10 men, and that is deemed acceptable because were rolling the dice with that 11th player - ie, if he gets a chance, hell score, and its worth having him on the pitch just for that. Hence, if he doesnt get a chance, he normally does practically nothing. Problem with this is that although its great to have such a top finisher, we could probably replace him with someone who is still a good finisher, but who can also contribute alot more to the team.

Again, thats different to Martins, who youd expect to improve his contribution with some good coaching and some more experience/composure.

I see Owen as our Shearer, Viduka as our Ferdinand, and Martins as our Asprilla.

...yeah but you have to choose. :rolleyes:

Oh... it's one of those threads. I choose Martins to stay.

;)

Over Owen one of the greatest finishers in Engish football ever?

Owen's value is decreasing every year.

He's lost most of his pace (so it seems).

Lacks commitment, doesn't really want to stay (so it seems).

Very injury prone.

Astronomical wages.

Guest Knightrider

Martins, but both will stay, for the time being, although Martins may not be first choice anymore and even Owen may be rotated.

Guest optimistic nit

keep martins. he's only 22, also if he was the same age, i'd still keep him over owen.

Guest khyberpass

Martins for me, based on the pace...

totally honest, would like to see both stay as Owen could teach Oba a bucketload to improve his lay...

Plus..my scouse mates are all chirping on about Owen having "barren patches" after which he'll start scoring like a " sex maniac in a whore house"...

cracking turn of phrase from the worst fans in Europe!

Guest khyberpass

Martins for me, based on the pace...

totally honest, would like to see both stay as Owen could teach Oba a bucketload to improve his lay...

Must......resist.....

OOPS! :blush:

I think we're keeping both... but....

Assuming that Owen stays to the end of his contract (big assumption) and stays healthy (bigger assumption), I'd keep him. In a full season he'd score more goals than Martins every time. And the club couldn't possibly sell him for anything like the money spent to buy him. Whereas, the club could easily recuperate the money spent on Martins.

In the real world, I'd bet on Martins.

Guest alex

When you include wages, potential return on investment, injury record, then keeping Oba over Owen is the option everytime.

Conveniently ignoring who is by far the better player though ;)

Guest Texasmag

Just read on another forum MO could be off to Everton. Don't think they could afford his wages!