Gerrard has missed the chance to be a true great by staying at Anfield.

Parky

I think the only thing keeping Gerrard at Liverpool now is the hope that they can mount some kind of charge on the premiership title. The cups have help keep him there but I think about 3 years of coming 3rd/4th but 15+ points behind the leader will finally see him leave.

Don't think Giggs is a footballing great myself. He was never the 'it' player at his club, the driving force that won them trophies and was the man who carried the whole team on his back. Gerrard, on the other hand, well, we'll see at the end of his career whether he's done enough to be considered a true 'great'. He's on track atm though.

I admire any local player when they stay at their club for the love of it. Carragher certainly does. Gerrard's future is always uncertain though and he hasn't always been 100% committed. Especially when Chelsea came sniffing around. I don't understand it when Newcastle fans criticize players from other clubs for showing no ambition by staying at their local club. We don't have to look any further than Shearer. He could have won just about everything in the game, but he stayed here because he loved pulling on the black and white shirt every week and banging the goals in. Thats why i respect local players from other clubs for following their heart rather than their head.

Is Shearer any less of a footballing great because he stayed at Newcastle for so long?

Yes.

Agreed.

But with Gerrard he's actually won things and proven that he can carry his team on his back. Some people I talk to still think it's lucky that his thunder-strike against Olympiakos went in because if that didn't go it, there'd be no Istanbul, coming back from 3-0 etc. but that's just a fucking pathetically irrelevant hypothetical situation. The fact is it did happen, he did carry his team on his back and will be remembered as such. Even if he only wins a couple more small trophies before he hangs it up, I reckon he'll be remembered as a great.

Edit - He needs the league and that'll do it for me.

This was by and large the time in Gazza's career that he took the plunge and moved to Lazio, relatively the same age and reputation. The jump of playing at a top Euro club and the new wider stage is crucial in cementing oneself in the history books. Henry if he doesn't leave Arsenal this year will meet the same fate.

These kind of top class players need to show they can do it in La Liga or Serie A ( a bit harder for a forward). Beckham made the move at the right time although Fergie had a hand in that, Fergie did him a big favour.

The conceptual and tactical development of the best players into great players is reliant on this to a large degree imo.

Gerrard might now never be classed as a true great.

Agree?

Agreed.

He is just staying in the comfort zone for me. I aint too sure wether he would be able to adapt his game to the Spanish/Italian game.

Guest alex

Don't think Giggs is a footballing great myself. He was never the 'it' player at his club, the driving force that won them trophies and was the man who carried the whole team on his back. Gerrard, on the other hand, well, we'll see at the end of his career whether he's done enough to be considered a true 'great'. He's on track atm though.

I think Giggs is the best British player of the last 20 years. Well ahead of Gerrard for me.

Guest nufc_geordie

This was by and large the time in Gazza's career that he took the plunge and moved to Lazio, relatively the same age and reputation. The jump of playing at a top Euro club and the new wider stage is crucial in cementing oneself in the history books. Henry if he doesn't leave Arsenal this year will meet the same fate.

These kind of top class players need to show they can do it in La Liga or Serie A ( a bit harder for a forward). Beckham made the move at the right time although Fergie had a hand in that, Fergie did him a big favour.

The conceptual and tactical development of the best players into great players is reliant on this to a large degree imo.

Agree?

Agreed.

He is just staying in the comfort zone for me. I aint too sure wether he would be able to adapt his game to the Spanish/Italian game.

I wish Newcastle's comfort zone consisted of qualification for the champions league year in year out and getting to the champions league final. What a load of b*llshit. Liverpool are currently one of the best teams in Europe so how the hell is that staying in the comfort zone? If he was a Newcastle player and was easily tjhe best player and refused to move then I might agree.

Interesting post, I dont agree though. I beleive that a player can stay in one of the bigger leagues to become one of the greats.

He still has to prove himself on the international level though.

I think that Gerrard has proven in the PL and the CL that he is a fantastic player. To be one of the greats he has to lead England to some fantastic results aswell.

I think Giggs is the best British player of the last 20 years. Well ahead of Gerrard for me.

Always thought of Giggs as more of a 'supporting cast'. Maybe it's just because of the position he plays in? When I think of the old Manyoo teams I think about Schmeichel, Cantona and Keane. The first name that comes up isn't 'Giggs' and that for me is usually a defining quality that the 'greats' possess.

Saying that, there's no doubting he has been quality, was special when he broke onto the scene and his longevity makes him a really really good player, but still not a footballing 'great' for me.

Guest alex

Always thought of Giggs as more of a 'supporting cast'. Maybe it's just because of the position he plays in? When I think of the old Manyoo teams I think about Schmeichel, Cantona and Keane. The first name that comes up isn't 'Giggs' and that for me is usually a defining quality that the 'greats' possess.

Saying that, there's no doubting he has been quality, was special when he broke onto the scene and his longevity makes him a really really good player, but still not a footballing 'great' for me.

All the stuff he's won being an ever-present in a 'flair' position for all these years makes him a great for me. The ones you mention are also greats but playing left-wing, which he has done almost all his career, is extremely difficult imo. Firstly it's hard to maintain consistency in that position for any length of time and secondly the pressure upon a player to perform in a team like Man Utd. is immense. Honestly can't think of better British player in a long time.

All the stuff he's won being an ever-present in a 'flair' position for all these years makes him a great for me. The ones you mention are also greats but playing left-wing, which he has done almost all his career, is extremely difficult imo. Firstly it's hard to maintain consistency in that position for any length of time and secondly the pressure upon a player to perform in a team like Man Utd. is immense. Honestly can't think of better British player in a long time.

But you see if Giggs had flourished at Barca or Juve for 2/3 years along with his ManU days...I would start to consider him for my 'greats' list.

Guest alex

But you see if Giggs had flourished at Barca or Juve for 2/3 years along with his ManU days...I would start to consider him for my 'greats' list.

But you see we have different criteria in that case :razz:

Agree?

Agreed.

I don't think that you have to play in different environments to be considered great. But in Gerrard's case, I do wonder whether he might actually do even better in a continental side where the style and formation is a bit more fluid. He's an awesome player.

I seem to remember at the time that he was considering a move to Chelsea, there were rumours of threats in Liverpool either to himself, or his family, if he left.

Spanish or Italian players don't need to go abroad to confirm themselves as greats so I don't see why an English player should.

Gerrard would be loved anywhere he went simply for the ammount of effort he puts in not too mention his knack of scoring late wonder goals.

The Italian league is piss poor imo, I believe that Italian players more-so than English need to go abroad to really prove themselves...

Spanish or Italian players don't need to go abroad to confirm themselves as greats so I don't see why an English player should.

Gerrard would be loved anywhere he went simply for the ammount of effort he puts in not too mention his knack of scoring late wonder goals.

The Italian league is piss poor imo, I believe that Italian players more-so than English need to go abroad to really prove themselves...

Fair enough. But the point still stands that players really need to test themselves in different leagues if they are to really reach that absolute top awareness of their ability.

Has Maldini ever left Italy?

Maldini has played in 5 Champions League winning teams so even though he has stayed with one team, he easily can be called a true European "Great"

Gerrard is going to have to something similar or else he is only going to be a "great" in the Premiership and wont have anywhere near the same recognition in Europe

Was just going to point that out, Maldini got the same number of Champions Leagues as Liverpool had in their whole history :lol:

Or that Maldini has won more CL winners medals than all the English teams together excluding scousers.

Guest king harry

Some good points there but if thats the criteria to be truly great than how many english players in the last few years have been? Maybe paul ince is the last englishman to go abroad to a top league and be a sucsess. Beckham has been to a degree but he still doesnt have a trophy with real madrid. These days the italian league is not what it once was, i wouldnt defintly say our league is better, but its harder to play in for a midfielder or forward, look at how chelseas last 30 million pound signing got on in both leagues. As for spain, again not a worse league, but for a midfielder or forward, certainly an easier league. Morientes, forlan, kanoute, are just 3 recent examples of players that have hit 20 league goals in spain, who struggled to get into double figures in this country. I still look on keane, scholes, shearer, bryan robson, dalglish, beardsly as great players and other than beardsky having a few months in canada, none of them played abroad.

Guest Knightrider

The proper players don't really concern themselves with being the world's best or a true great or other such individual titles, it is all about trophies and being part of something much bigger and at Liverpool Gerrard has won a lot and will go down in history as a prominent figure in the club's own history. I'm sure LFC fans consider him to be a true great and I really think that's all that matters.

In short it doesn't matter.

Fair comment although actually for once Alex mate I can't say I'm in agreement.

My thoughts on Giggs are despite glittering the game down the years and winning honour after honour, he has been a true class act do not get me wrong but I always felt there has been something missing in the fact he never became the player he could have been.

I remember watching Giggs burst onto the scene as a small boy and was absolutely mesmorised by his skill, pace and trickery. The injuries sadly took their toll and the potential he showed he never quite fulfilled, as the Giggs I saw as a child was a player who should have been winning European and World Footballer of the year awards.

Despite all of this he has still been an absolutely fantastic player do not get me wrong.

Guest Knightrider

I reckon if Giggs had been a little more selfish and more of an individual he would have probably been a bigger name or be remembered more, but then would he have had the same success? Giggs is certainly a British great though and over the past 10 or so years there haven't been many better wingers in the world game. Anyway I don't think he's concerned about personal titles, accolades and all that stuff and that's the way it should be.