Greg Halford to Sunderland

Martin Lol

A lad with virtually zero premiership experience, who Reading were willing to let go after half a season claiming that he hadn't come on as expected while there, all for the price of £3M doesn't exactly excite me.  While I accept he was very good at the SoL last season, we were't exactly excellent that game tbh but thats all I've seen of him

A lad with virtually zero premiership experience, who Reading were willing to let go after half a season claiming that he hadn't come on as expected while there, all for the price of £3M doesn't exactly excite me.  While I accept he was very good at the SoL last season, we were't exactly excellent that game tbh but thats all I've seen of him

Its a big chunk of the budget to blow on a unproven player.

If Keane thinks he can get away with signing Andy O'Brien and a few more of his Irish mates then i'd be a little concerned next season.

The likes of Forlan are ridiculous links, but at least this guy isn't Irish or links with manu, shows Keane does actually know there's a world outside his bubble.

I reckon we should try and sell on Butt & Carr, i'm sure he'd take em as well.

If Keane thinks he can get away with signing Andy O'Brien and a few more of his Irish mates then i'd be a little concerned next season.

The likes of Forlan are ridiculous links, but at least this guy isn't Irish or links with manu, shows Keane does actually know there's a world outside his bubble.

I agree that was something that I was really worried about, that we were only going to sign players that Keane had some connection with, but hardly any of them are realisitic.  I mean Forlan was someone just taking the piss surely.  One of the top scorers in La Liga also linked with Barca and now Liverpool.  There was no chance of getting him.

Although I don't think it will be that much of a chunk of out budget as although I don't believe all the stories of tens of millions available ( that would just be stupid) I still reckon we'll have a fair whack.  Certainly more than last time. 

Why would we want to sell Butt to Sunderland? Thats just stupid.

Last chance to get money for him, plus he's on a very high wage.

Sure he had a good season last season, but i'd be surprised if that was repeated, and with the correct signings we shouldn't be relying on Butt.

on the thinking if reports are true and he is willing to buy an unproven player for 3 million he can have butt for 5 millions can't he ;)

I agree that was something that I was really worried about, that we were only going to sign players that Keane had some connection with, but hardly any of them are realisitic.  I mean Forlan was someone just taking the piss surely.  One of the top scorers in La Liga also linked with Barca and now Liverpool.  There was no chance of getting him.

Although I don't think it will be that much of a chunk of out budget as although I don't believe all the stories of tens of millions available ( that would just be stupid) I still reckon we'll have a fair whack.  Certainly more than last time. 

He's certainly called on his contacts hasn't he?  :lol:

But you can't blame him, he needed quick fixes and needed to make an impact so he went with what and who he knew. I just feel the Irish connection is being used so much with your Irish sponsorship, that you maybe opting for Irish answers as its what the Irish want.

Sunderland are not Irish, but anymore of them it will be green stripes next season.

I'm quite relieved they've signed him actually. I thought that they'd be throwing some canny money around for some decent players who'd make an impact and make sure they were comfortable next season. Instead, they've signed Greg Halford for at least £3m. He's obviously been bought because he can fill a number of positions which means he'll play most games if fit. If this is the standard of signings they make this close season I'll be well chuffed.

Got to wonder why Coppell has let him go so easily just 5 months after buying him? Always thought Coppell had a canny eye for a player and is good at spotting young talent. Makes me wonder why he's let him go.....does he know something Keane doesn't?  :undecided:

But you can't blame him, he needed quick fixes and needed to make an impact so he went with what and who he knew. I just feel the Irish connection is being used so much with your Irish sponsorship, that you maybe opting for Irish answers as its what the Irish want.

Sunderland are not Irish, but anymore of them it will be green stripes next season.

Oh I agree it was good work when he came in pretty much on deadline day but for everyone he brought in to have some link was quite crazy (Edwards and John must have been recommend by Yorke) and he knew everyone else from Celtic/Man Utd/Ireland.

TBF to Keane though he's not the only one with an Irish obession it was pretty much the same with Reid and McCarthy, our Irish links take the piss.

I'm quite relieved they've signed him actually. I thought that they'd be throwing some canny money around for some decent players who'd make an impact and make sure they were comfortable next season. Instead, they've signed Greg Halford for at least £3m. He's obviously been bought because he can fill a number of positions which means he'll play most games if fit. If this is the standard of signings they make this close season I'll be well chuffed.

Got to wonder why Coppell has let him go so easily just 5 months after buying him? Always thought Coppell had a canny eye for a player and is good at spotting young talent. Makes me wonder why he's let him go.....does he know something Keane doesn't?  :undecided:

No.

Keane found out he once visited Ireland and enjoyed it, so he became his no1 target.  O0

Oh I agree it was good work when he came in pretty much on deadline day but for everyone he brought in to have some link was quite crazy (Edwards and John must have been recommend by Yorke) and he knew everyone else from Celtic/Man Utd/Ireland.

TBF to Keane though he's not the only one with an Irish obession it was pretty much the same with Reid and McCarthy, our Irish links take the piss.

Are the board and investors Irish, i obviously know Quinny is, but are the rest as well?

How about coaches & scouts, i just want to get the full Irish angle on the club, if an Irish lad wants to support an EPL team, there is only one place to turn to right now.

Are the board and investors Irish, i obviously know Quinny is, but are the rest as well?

How about coaches & scouts, i just want to get the full Irish angle on the club, if an Irish lad wants to support an EPL team, there is only one place to turn to right now.

All but one of the consortium are Irish apart from 1.  That's John Hays, who is a Sunderland supporter.  The only name from the consortium that I actually remember is Charlie Chawke, and tat because of the old cartoon type thing.

I don't believe we have many Irish in the backroom staff I just know Keane has brought in a few from Man Utd, interestingly including their ex-chief scout. 

However they certainly are exploiting the Irish market though.  Even though we probably had it cornered alongside Man Utd and Liverpool before that, now they do special charted flights on matchdays from ireland plus another set of pre-season friendlies in Ireland this year.  There are also rumours of club shops opening over thire but I don't believe them.  I'm worried about this though as Ireland is a very small country and imo we should try and push the club elsewhere. 

Sure he had a good season last season, but i'd be surprised if that was repeated, and with the correct signings we shouldn't be relying on Butt.

Why sell someone who is going to be a key player for us next season, one of the most mature voices in the dressing room, and one of the most experienced players on the team? Aswell as in general being a really decent player and the only genuine nomination for captain.

All but one of the consortium are Irish apart from 1.  That's John Hays, who is a Sunderland supporter.  The only name from the consortium that I actually remember is Charlie Chawke, and tat because of the old cartoon type thing.

I don't believe we have many Irish in the backroom staff I just know Keane has brought in a few from Man Utd, interestingly including their ex-chief scout. 

However they certainly are exploiting the Irish market though.  Even though we probably had it cornered alongside Man Utd and Liverpool before that, now they do special charted flights on matchdays from ireland plus another set of pre-season friendlies in Ireland this year.  There are also rumours of club shops opening over thire but I don't believe them.  I'm worried about this though as Ireland is a very small country and imo we should try and push the club elsewhere. 

Better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven.  >:D

Sunderland are not going to break any major Country right now though are they?

At least your going for one place then none at all. Winning games and winning trophies brings the fans from abroad, that's not going to happen anytime soon for Sunderland without major investment. But in the meantime they serve Irish interest, where possibly a lot of the Irish NT play, keeping Ireland watching out for them, brining in potential supporters.

Why sell someone who is going to be a key player for us next season, one of the most mature voices in the dressing room, and one of the most experienced players on the team? Aswell as in general being a really decent player and the only genuine nomination for captain.

:lol:

every club will pull in connections with the recent history of the club not being that great if you can use the irish and manu connections to get players in for the short term I dont think anyone would hold it against them, no doubt some fans would be worried if keane could scout outside "his bubble" saying that if SA only brought in the cream of bolton I dont think i would hold it against him

still falls under the type of player SA likes the older very experienced player that with a little TLC can have a prolonged carear. Saying that I agree that we should try and aim for something better but if we rely on him in a back up sort of player I would be more than happy

We'd get nowt for him at his age, and how do you know he's on a high wage?

Why?

[/dave]

still falls under the type of player SA likes the older very experienced player that with a little TLC can have a prolonged carear. Saying that I agree that we should try and aim for something better but if we rely on him in a back up sort of player I would be more than happy

He'd be great back-up, but he's on 1st team wages.

I'd rather SA strip the team of big earners like this who are not going to last and put that saved money into youth and development for the future.

Got nowt against Butt personally, i think last season he rectified his past with us, but overall i'd be happy to let him go, i'd be even happier if we'd never signed him as we've just about broke about even on him and his worth if we sell him now for about a million.

At least your going for one place then none at all. Winning games and winning trophies brings the fans from abroad, that's not going to happen anytime soon for Sunderland without major investment. But in the meantime they serve Irish interest, where possibly a lot of the Irish NT play, keeping Ireland watching out for them, brining in potential supporters.

Who said major? Why not Albania, Kahzakstan, Armenia or even Scotland?  ;)

I know what your saying and I agree but I'm not overly impressed by just the Irish market ( I suppose the one reason I'm never happy about Sunderland is that I'm a pessimist and not even the best will do as in my opinion it isn't good enough.  I expect the club to always want to grow and not just consolidate what they have.  Why not try and break into the Scandanavian market, I mean again apart from Man Utd and Liverpool there isn't really a Englis club with massive support there.

I'd rather SA strip the team of big earners like this who are not going to last and put that saved money into youth and development for the future.

Got nowt against Butt personally, i think last season he rectified his past with us, but overall i'd be happy to let him go, i'd be even happier if we'd never signed him as we've just about broke about even on him and his worth if we sell him now for about a million.

I wonder how much his wages are, certainly a mature head to help "bring on players" as well as someone reliable to bring on for a difficult period or for a period of injury it is probably money well spent certainly as I have said before when it comes a list of players I want to see ship out Butt has to be low down.

Out of interest did we buy Butt as a replacement for speed?

I know what your saying and I agree but I'm not overly impressed by just the Irish market ( I suppose the one reason I'm never happy about Sunderland is that I'm a pessimist and not even the best will do as in my opinion it isn't good enough.  I expect the club to always want to grow and not just consolidate what they have.  Why not try and break into the Scandanavian market, I mean again apart from Man Utd and Liverpool there isn't really a Englis club with massive support there.

Again though, why would someone from Scandinavia want to support Sunderland, or Newcastle etc? We've won nowt in years, have a long way before winning something again, and there are glamour clubs in our leagues far more known and supported already.

Tours, friendlies and other avenues are not going to open many doors in these countries imo, tbh, thinking about the way Sunderland have gone about the Irish connection is quite impressive, the foot is in the door, the 'club brand' (horrible way to talk about football i know) is in and its growing, its better than nothing.

Sunderland just have to realise Irish talent can and will only get you so far, and if you want to achieve the greatest success, there are not many Irish players out there that will be able to deliver it, but right now for a promoted team, its a good foundation.

I wonder how much his wages are, certainly a mature head to help "bring on players" as well as someone reliable to bring on for a difficult period or for a period of injury it is probably money well spent certainly as I have said before when it comes a list of players I want to see ship out Butt has to be low down.

Out of interest did we buy Butt as a replacement for speed?

He's be in the top ten earners at NUFC, so as back-up the maths doesn't work out for me.

Butt would be low down on my list too, Babayaro, Carr, Dyer, Owen, Emre & Duff all coming ahead of him, the latter three mainly again due to their wages, nothing else, but if there was a realistic option to get rid, i'd take it.

Again though, why would someone from Scandinavia want to support Sunderland, or Newcastle etc? We've won nowt in years, have a long way before winning something again, and there are glamour clubs in our leagues far more known and supported already.

Tours, friendlies and other avenues are not going to open many doors in these countries imo, tbh, thinking about the way Sunderland have gone about the Irish connection is quite impressive, the foot is in the door, the 'club brand' (horrible way to talk about football i know) is in and its growing, its better than nothing.

Sunderland just have to realise Irish talent can and will only get you so far, and if you want to achieve the greatest success, there are not many Irish players out there that will be able to deliver it, but right now for a promoted team, its a good foundation.

I agree with what your saying it's just I'm extremely greedy when it comes to football.  While I accept that everything takes time, not even the best will do me (and atm Ireland is our best) and I want/demand more from the club.

Plus I don't know what you mean about neither big NE side winning anything for ages.  Sunderland win the Championship every three years on average.  And I'm sure Newcastle have a Northumberland Cup to go along with your recent Inter-toto Cup "glory".  Take them over and the Scandanivians will lap it up.