Fernando Torres (From The Mirror)

Optimistic Nut

see this type of player, you'd have to think, is being bought by liverpool so he can perform in the big games

basically gerrard aside that's what liverpool have lacked especially in the EPL

chel$ki (drogba), man u (ronaldo, rooney) and arsenal (henry, ahem) all have them and i think this is what benitez is aiming at here...the type of player that performs on the big occaision basically 'cause gerrard can't do it all the time

is torres that man then?  his record against real and barca might give some indication - my memories suggest it's not great against real but good against barca....someone to confirm?

Although he's still young, he doesn't come across as a typical 'big game player' a la Gerrard at all. In fact I think it took him something like 9 games against Real Madrid before he scored a goal.

My prediction is he'll get about 14 or 15 league goals, something decent but not amazing considering it's Liverpool. I think he'll find this league a tougher one than Spain (his physical presence over there means nothing over here) but he'll be playing for a better team.

He scores v Barcelona nyon every time they play.

That's true. Although Atletico are famously Barcelona's 'bestia negra', their bogey team. Barca hate playing them. Torres does have an excellent record against them though.

Guest Geordiesned

Deal agreed to make Forlan Torres replacement.

You mean he's not off to Sunderland after all? :lol:

Listening to some of the Spanish pundits on the radio recently, they said that Liverpool would have to be patient with Torres.  He has potential but is a bit lightweight and will take time to adapt.  He is not the finished article by a long way and although talented needs to be developed and in time could be a great player for Liverpool.

see this type of player, you'd have to think, is being bought by liverpool so he can perform in the big games

basically gerrard aside that's what liverpool have lacked especially in the EPL

chel$ki (drogba), man u (ronaldo, rooney) and arsenal (henry, ahem) all have them and i think this is what benitez is aiming at here...the type of player that performs on the big occaision basically 'cause gerrard can't do it all the time

is torres that man then?  his record against real and barca might give some indication - my memories suggest it's not great against real but good against barca....someone to confirm?

Although he's still young, he doesn't come across as a typical 'big game player' a la Gerrard at all. In fact I think it took him something like 9 games against Real Madrid before he scored a goal.

My prediction is he'll get about 14 or 15 league goals, something decent but not amazing considering it's Liverpool. I think he'll find this league a tougher one than Spain (his physical presence over there means nothing over here) but he'll be playing for a better team.

haven't you just repeated exactly what i said in my original post there?

i said i believed benitez has bought him with the intention of him being the big game player - after all they've got enough bellamy's and kuyt's who don't cut the mustard against top class teams or score enough in the league so why else would they buy torres?

if he was buying him NOT to be a big game player then he might as well just stick with what he's got, no?

I don't regard him as a big game player, I'm sure Benitez hopes he will be but then you would for that amount of money! I think he's been bought because he's a big up and coming talent who may or may not realise his potential, but Benitez obviously feels he can bring the best out of him.

Like I say he has a bit of everything, pace, dribbling, technique, aeriel ability, finishing etc but doesn't excel massively in any area. He has the tools to go very far but he needs to start showing it on a more regular basis.

I think Torres will fit into the Liverpool team quite well but that's an awful lot of money to pay. I guess it's only too much if they can't afford it and have sacrificed other areas of the team to get him. I think he'll be a good signing but I don't think he'll ever justify his fee. I agree with those who say Liverpool needed a signing like this, though for that money I think they could have done a lot better. Time will tell.

Guest king harry

Torres is a pretty good striker with bags of potential. Thing is, much like Raul in his early days, he has been hugely overrated by the Spanish press.

When Atleti were relegated in 2000 they spent two years in La Segunda before returning to La Primera. The club had been relegated despite a sqaud of talented players including the likes of Molina, Baraja, Solari, Valeron and Hasselbaink. Much in the same way as Raul, Torres came through as a local player scoring goals and working for the team and the local press loved him for it. A quick player with aeriel prowess and good finishing, who could take players on. He seemed to have it all as a young player and quickly made headlines. But since he has not developed all that much and this has led many to suggest he is grossly overrated.

The big question is, will he get better and better or is this as good as it gets? His scoring record was impressive for a 19/20/21 year old but it hasn't improved since and he's now 23. In the last two seasons he's scored 13 and 14 goals respectively, I'm not sure how many were pens but it seems like quite a few (even though he's a poor penalty taker).

For a good team he'll always get goals, but there are plenty of players like that around. He's a good player who can beat his man, good in the air, quick, he's a good finisher, very cool in one-on-one situations, theres quite a lot to his game. If he can carry on improving, who knows, but I don't think he'll ever be a world class striker and I think Liverpool are paying way over the odds. No doubt somebody will tell me I'm wrong when he scores 14 or 15 league goals but a striker costing maybe £25m+ playing for Liverpool should really do a lot better.

Will he be a hit in the Premier League? Who knows. In some ways there'll be less pressure on him (he has a reputation as an overrated player in Spain), in some ways the pricetag will crank up the pressure to perform. Although most Spaniards consider him overrated, Atletico fans aren't too happy to see him leave, so maybe that's a good sign for Liverpool. Personally I think if Atletico spend well they can build a better team. There are those who say the service to Torres is poor and he makes the best of it, there are others who say the whole team plays just for him to score a few goals. The PL's end to end play may suit someone like him, it's physicality may not.

In my view David Villa is a far, far better player and most Spaniards agree. Torres is 3 years younger but if you're going to break the bank for a Spanish striker, Villa is the one for me, even though this year wasn't his best season.

Good post that, and i do think villa is the better goalscorer but he will cost atleast an extra 10 million on top. Torres has averaged 1 in 2.5 goals for his club, which isnt great, and 1 in 3 goals for spain which looks better. The fact is though, madrid for the past few years have created very few chances and have played him up front by himself. Personally i think him and Kuyt playing upfront together could be exactly what they both need. Is he over priced? Yes, its a big wedge of money, but Rooney was 29 million, and he has a better scoring record than him, and when players like bent, carrick and hargreaves go for around 17 or 18 million, then it doesnt look that bad. And if Liverpool, play there cards right, they could get a lot of that money back in shirt sales alone.

I guess it all depends how much Liverpool have to spend. When Man Utd were criticised for paying so much for Carrick, Hargreaves, Rooney et al I tended to disagree because to them they can afford it so it can be justified. If you can buy the player and still afford to strengthen the other areas then it's not a problem. It remains to be seen how big a chunk this has taken out of Liverpool's budget. Certainly if things start going wrong (which I dont think they will particularly) then Torres will be the first to feel the pressure.

I'd imagine Liverpool now need to find a winger if Garcia leaves, considering Kewell's injuries, Zenden ageing (is his contract up now?), and the possibility of Gonzalez leaving. They'll need a centre back too if Hyypia leaves.

That's true. Although Atletico are famously Barcelona's 'bestia negra', their bogey team. Barca hate playing them. Torres does have an excellent record against them though.

Its quite funny that although youre right Barcelona did beat them 6-0 last time >D

His Record in La Liga

02-03 Atletico Madrid 29 13

03-04 Atletico Madrid 35 19

04-05 Atletico Madrid 38 16

05-06 Atletico Madrid 36 13

06-07 Atletico Madrid 36 14

I think his record for Spain his better than 1 in 2 aswell.

That's a good record considering he's not just a goalscorer, he's more like Rooney than Bent.

These are the signings Liverpool have to take a chance on now, they need to sign as many top class players as they can because they'll never get anywhere near the title with the likes of Bellamy and Kuyt. If they can get Tevez has well then they might have a chance.

Guest king harry

i would rather have david villa than torres any day of the fing week

so would most people but he will cost 35 - 40 million