Sunderland after Baines

Skirge

mackems.gif mackems.gif no way they can get him.. surley not?

Price being named as £6mill, SSN reported this this morning anyway..

Other stories say we have ended our interest in him as we will not pay that much for him..

Guest teepee

he'd be better off staying where he is - either way he'll be in the championship next season - at least he wont have to move if he stays at wigan

:D :D :D

Guest graemeh72

he'd be better off staying where he is - either way he'll be in the championship next season - at least he wont have to move if he stays at wigan

:D :D :D

totally agree - why leave wigan for that lot?

TBF Sunderland are less likley to get relgated next season than Wigan. However, for a player of Baines ability he should be looking at least for a mid table club.

Baines is worth £6m. Do we not have money ?  FFS Sam, let's get a defence. We will never get anywhere until we have a sound reliable defence which can defend and turn defence into attack

Guest teepee

agreed - we really should be trying to get this bloke in!

alternatively, how about that left back from marseille whose name escapes me. supposedly very good, around 23 i believe

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/06/20/so-keane-on-baines-89520-19326256/

SUNDERLAND boss Roy Keane wants Wigan skipper Leighton Baines - but will have to pay £6million to land the England Under-21 left-back.

Baines would be in the market for a move if he felt it would further his claims for a cap at senior level.

And that may leave Premiership new boys Sunderland having to go for the hard-sell to sign him.

But Keane is in determined mood, backed by the cash that has transformed his club, and Sunderland are expected to make an opening bid of about £4m within the next 48 hours.

That is well below the valuation placed on him by Wigan, who will not let him go cheaply.

Baines has also been linked with Newcastle, Tot tenham and Everton, but Sunderland's new financial muscle leaves them in pole position - if they can persuade Baines the move is right for him.

I would love Nicky Shorey here but seems as though he will sign a new deal with Reading, getting Roder'esk again this transfer window. Yeah I know there is still loads of time to sign players, but time is no good to us if all of our targets have gone elsewhere or re-signed with their clubs..

Guest LUKASJJ

I would be gutted if he went there, i think we shud take him for 6 million. The more i see him the more i like him tbh. Think he has been best player at the U21 tournament for England.

Ace player. Get him signed! £6m, in the long run, would definitely be worth it.

He's the best young wing-back in England, and with some defensive tutoring from Big Sam, he will become a very, very good player within a couple of years time.

I think its a fair price, was exspecting the fee to be more thna that, but if we have decided not to bid for him then there must be a massive lack of funds for transfers, how much did they think we would get him for like? A young talent like him is always going to cost decent money, but £6mill is a good price IMO..

Guest Johan

They (sunderland) should just surf into www.ohmelads.com and they would see that the transfer has already been done!

alternatively, how about that left back from marseille whose name escapes me. supposedly very good, around 23 i believe

do you mean taye taiwo, the nigerian lad?

They've got £6m to splash on a leftback?

Highly doubt it.

I doubt the lad would swap one relegation battling team for another. He wants to move to a 2nd tier football club if he's to leave his life behind and start again.

Guest teepee

do you mean taye taiwo, the nigerian lad?

yep - thats the one!

Guest Gemmill

I would love Nicky Shorey here but seems as though he will sign a new deal with Reading, getting Roder'esk again this transfer window. Yeah I know there is still loads of time to sign players, but time is no good to us if all of our targets have gone elsewhere or re-signed with their clubs..

It's the third week in June man, Skirge.  There's fuck all Roeder-esque about this transfer window to date.  If we're still in this situation with a fortnight to go, you might have a point. 

It's the third week in June man, Skirge.  There's fuck all Roeder-esque about this transfer window to date.  If we're still in this situation with a fortnight to go, you might have a point. 

Thats outrageous Skirge.

:D :lol:

We made Bianes a top target of ours then when a price is put on him we run, did they really think he was going to come cheap? Did we target him not because his a cracking player or just because we thought he was decent enough and may be cheap.

Its crazy stuff, he is well worth £6mill, is it a case of we won't pay it, or a case of we can't pay it?

Guest icemanblue

Some people really need reminding it's only June. Nothing has been confirmed when it comes to Baines, so how would anyone know if he's an actual target?

These people really should have a word with themselves. It's embarrassing tbh.

It's the third week in June man, Skirge.  There's f*** all Roeder-esque about this transfer window to date.  If we're still in this situation with a fortnight to go, you might have a point. 

I agree what over reaction . Let's give him a chance. We need to get quality defenders in. If it takes all of July then so be ot. its the end result that matters not the quickness of it.

Thats outrageous Skirge.