Notts Forest to get new 50 Thousand Seater

Decky

Nottingham Forest have announced plans to leave the City Ground and move to a new stadium by 2014.

The new venue, which will be built south of the city, will seat up to 50,000 and could cost between £45-50million as Colin Calderwood's side look to haul themselves back up the league.

"As a club our priority for this season is promotion," Forest chief executive Mark Arthur said. "Then it is promotion again next season.

"Then it is to ensure we establish ourselves back in the top flight and challenge for Europe.

"But the prospect of a new vision for Nottingham opens up many exciting opportunities.

"This will be a long journey, the earliest this stadium will emerge is 2014 and I know there will be many questions.

"There will be full consultation as part of the development process but this is an exciting new vision for Forest and one I believe we have a duty to explore for the city, the county and our supporters."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=472907&CPID=11&clid=17&lid=5&title=Forest+set+for+new+stadium

Not sure why they need it to be honest, they are in League One ffs

They didn't fill their ground when they won the European Cup.

Just another club with a joke support, nowhere near us, or the mackems for that matter, big city or not.

I lived in Nottingham in the mid 80s. Went to quite a few games, including the Uefa semi-final against Anderlecht in 84. Lovely spring evening and they got 28,000. Cloughie was livid.

As with all the E.Midlands clubs they can fill their smaller grounds when things are going very very well, the rest of the time there is little desire. 50,000 is a daft size for them

They are scum.  They should think about building a team worthy of a 50,000 seater stadium rather than vice versa.  Spackers.  Big club my arse.

Nottingham.. not that far from derby is it? ;)

Not that close either... although Morph has to say he hates them to continue his Derby supporting claims! Slightly strange one as a rivalry I always thought, takes about 20-30 mins to drive so they really aren't that close and (whilst I realise they haven't played each other much of late) there is another team in Nottingham.

They are scum.  They should think about building a team worthy of a 50,000 seater stadium rather than vice versa.  Spackers.  Big club my arse.

Nottingham.. not that far from derby is it? ;)

Not that close either... although Morph has to say he hates them to continue his Derby supporting claims! Slightly strange one as a rivalry I always thought, takes about 20-30 mins to drive so they really aren't that close and (whilst I realise they haven't played each other much of late) there is another team in Nottingham.

Goes back a long way though. Derby and Forest are each other's main rivals in the eyes of their fans. Much more so say Forest and Notts County.

Yeah, interesting that. Never known the reasons why, either. Probably why I find it so strange.

Traditionally the two biggest clubs in the East Midlands. That's all there is to it I think.

Forest have never been a big club. They had a spell mid to late 70s where they had a good team and they won a few trophies in 3-4 years, similarly end of the 80s they won a few league cups, other than that, they've done very little else throughout their history.

Guest Morph

Derby and Nottingham are about 5 minutes apart.  Probs closer than Newcastle - Sunderland if not as close.

Derby and Nottingham are about 5 minutes apart.  Probs closer than Newcastle - Sunderland if not as close.

It takes longer than 5 minutes to get to the M1 from Derby, never mind Nottingham.  The counties are next to each other but the Cities are not 5 minutes apart, unless you fly over by plane.

Derby to Nottingham is 15 miles, 30 minutes, on a good day.

Rivalry picked up when Cloughie went (via Leeds and Brighton) from winning the league with Derby to doing the same with Forest. Quite bitter rivalry but in a small town sort of way. Derby always somehow felt a bigger club, despite the later Forest successes. The Forest-County rivalry is liek the Boro-Hartlepool one

It probably depends on whether they get promoted or not. They do have a huge fanbase still though I think.

I live in scunthorpe and we went to the Forest vs scunny game last season when we won 4-0 and the attendance was just under 30,000

Forest have got an amazing fan base!

they deserve some credit for this

May 1996: They go to Man U and roll over and die for a nice 5-0. The next week a scouse bastard scores against us (again) and they celebrate like they've just won the European cup again.

I hope the scabby bastards go bust.

I had forgotten the Scabs thing, I hope they never get back to the premiership !

the evening game at Forest during the miners strike was the worst atmosphere I've been. It was 90 minutes of abuse from each set of supporters to the other. After the game the police were beating up Newcastle supporters as they left the ground. I'd never seen anything like it.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I had forgotten the Scabs thing, I hope they never get back to the premiership !

the evening game at Forest during the miners strike was the worst atmosphere I've been. It was 90 minutes of abuse from each set of supporters to the other. After the game the police were beating up Newcastle supporters as they left the ground. I'd never seen anything like it.

To be fair the police had got bored with beating up the miners by then.

Forest have never been a big club. They had a spell mid to late 70s where they had a good team and they won a few trophies in 3-4 years, similarly end of the 80s they won a few league cups, other than that, they've done very little else throughout their history.

Two biggest clubs in the East Midlands regardless though.