Nugent to talk to 2 unnamed clubs

Skirge

One of the clubs will be Sunderland, no idea who the other club is. I thought he had a very poor U21 Championship for England, did not impress at all, Litle was miles bertter.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=473277&CPID=8&clid=56&lid=2&title=Duo+set+for+Nugent+talks

Preston have given David Nugent permission to talk to two unnamed clubs about a move away from Deepdale.

Sky Sports News understands Sunderland are one of the two clubs interested in signing Nugent.

Preston are resigned to losing Nugent with the player expressing a desire to play in the Premier League.

Black Cats boss Roy Keane has made the Preston striker one of his top targets as he prepares for life back in the top flight next season.

Sunderland have now made their move for Nugent after he returned from international duty with England's Under 21s at the European Championship in Holland.

Everton, Portsmouth and West Ham have all been linked with Nugent in the last few months and one of the trio are believed to be the other club to have been given permission to hold talks with the player.

Nugent is believed to be on Wearside on Friday to discuss terms with Keane and he is also expected to meet with his other mystery suitors.

Seems logical. 1878 said some time ago they were in for him and he was likely to join as he's a toffee.

It's not us. Preston are asking for too much money.

I think I said the other week on here that I doubt we will sign him now, it did look nailed on for a while but his price seemingly rose month after month even though he only has 12 months on his contract and wants out.

I guessed in that striker merry-go-round prediction thread that he'd go to your mates over the way.

I think he's overrated anyway, not worth anywhere near £7 million IMO.

That's what an England goal does for you :lol: Crazy price.

6 months ago everyone on the Everton boards was debating whether he was worth £3/4m or not!

Would rather have Derbyshire

I think Nugent is better. Derbyshire's all round play is gash.

Though he's had a poor Euro U21 tournament Nugent is quite intelligent and a good link up player.

Nugent wouldnt want to join the mackems if he had a brain as they are just going to be relegated again ...

Everton would be a good club to join

him and johnson would be a good partnership..him and yorke or whoever for mackems?? dont think so

Guest Toon83

Everton is apparently his boyhood club and its his dream to play for them, or so say the quotes he has come out with a while ago, so if they come in with a bid then sunderland have no chance.

Its not just bias because i am a newcastle supporter but i dont buy into this Keane factor to keep sunderland up nonsense, the fact is that they have a poor squad and are looking at first division players to strengthen it, well i have news for you roy keane, thats how to get send straight back down to the championship!

Guest optimistic nit

i'm starting to think he's overated. 7million for someone who averages 1 in 3 in the championship, no way. pity shearergol doesn't post on here (i think) because he knows a lot about scunny, and billy sharp for 2 million or david nugent for 7. both risks, but billy sharp top scored in league 1 last year, so i think it could be worth a shot, and for 5million less..

Everton is apparently his boyhood club and its his dream to play for them, or so say the quotes he has come out with a while ago, so if they come in with a bid then sunderland have no chance.

Its not just bias because i am a newcastle supporter but i dont buy into this Keane factor to keep sunderland up nonsense, the fact is that they have a poor squad and are looking at first division players to strengthen it, well i have news for you roy keane, thats how to get send straight back down to the championship!

True!

why buy championship players becuase when you have a squad full of them they just turn out like a championship club!

if you get premiership and over foreign quality players then maybe you are right for the premiership...but we are talking about the mackems here!

Guest optimistic nit

well i've looked at the statistics. Sunderland could be about to sign a player who scored 8 less than chopera in the championship last year, and for 7 million. true maybe he can step up a level, but if he can't then they've wasted 7million. its way too much of a risk, imo, for such a large fee.

Billy sharp on the other hand scored 31 league goals last year, 9 ahead of his nearest rival. He's 21, and available for 2 million, i say risk it. the gap between PL and championship is so much bigger than between championship league one.

By the way nugents tally was 15, which was under half of sharps.

i agree op nut

a big gamble for anyone to take!

most clubs wouldnt take that gamble and would go for a more experienced player who they know can do it at prem level.

Guest optimistic nit

and to add a further point, nugent is 9 months older than sharp. its actually quite weird

Sharp: 5.2.86

Nugent: 2.5.85

weird or what, its almost like astrology is trying to tell us something  :frantic:

well i've looked at the statistics. Sunderland could be about to sign a player who scored 8 less than chopera in the championship last year, and for 7 million. true maybe he can step up a level, but if he can't then they've wasted 7million. its way too much of a risk, imo, for such a large fee.

Billy sharp on the other hand scored 31 league goals last year, 9 ahead of his nearest rival. He's 21, and available for 2 million, i say risk it. the gap between PL and championship is so much bigger than between championship league one.

By the way nugents tally was 15, which was under half of sharps.

I don't think Nugent is just about goals though. Whatever club bought him would ideally have him playing off a pacey striker or a penalty box player. Billy Sharp looks like he's going to Norwich btw so if he carries on his League One form then a Prem team will come in and we'll get to see just how good he really is.

any lower league player the mackems could sign but everyone it hasnt turned out for them

Nugent should sign for Everton or someone as he will be around better players who will provide him with more to do

we all dont know how well players will do coming into the premiership but its worth the gamble with alot of strikers

Since we are on striker

How many strikers do Birmingham want?

Cameron Jerome, DJ Campbell, Mikael Forssell, Rowan Vine, Gary McSheffrey

Host of good championship strikers, but I doubt any of them is good enough for Premiership.

Skysports

Russians announce striker sale

By Andrew Scurr -  Created on 22 Jun 2007

PREMIERSHIP SEASON 2007-08PREMIERSHIP SEASON 2007-08

Birmingham are 7/2 to finish in the top half. Click for more specials!

Related links

Team Pages:

* Birmingham City

Player Pages:

* Garry O'Connor

Birmingham City have agreed a deal to sign Lokomotiv Moscow striker Garry O'Connor, the Russian club have announced.

Steve Bruce appears to have been successful in his attempts to bring the Scotland international to St Andrews before the weekend after the two clubs reached an accord on a £2.65million fee.

Former Hibernian front man O'Connor will undergo a medical before signing a two-year deal with the newly-promoted Blues.

"Lokomotiv Moscow have come to an agreement with Birmingham City about the transfer of Lokomotiv attacker Garry O'Connor to the English club," Lokomotiv said in a statement on their official website.

"The total fee for O'Connor is $5.3million.

"It is expected that after O'Connor will pass his medical tests, he will sign a two year contract with the Birmingham club.

"Lokomotiv FC wishes to thank the striker for his high professionalism, hard work on the field and for the goal in the Russian Cup Final."

O'Connor had been tracked by Premier League clubs Fulham, Everton and Portsmouth, but it is Birmingham who have won the race for his signature.

The 24-year-old ends a 15-month stint in Russia and he is now looking forward to his latest challenge in England.

He said in a message to the Lokomotiv fans published on their website: "Thank you for your support while I was in Lokomotiv.

"I'll never forget the times I spent at our beautiful stadium, the support that I received on and off the field. You have all been great towards me.

"I also hope you understand the reason why I am leaving. There is only one chance in our life to play in the English Premier league - the best league in the world.

"It's a great opportunity for me which I would like to use. I'll support Lokomotiv forever and I hope that someday I'll come back to Russia to play at this beautiful stadium and see all my friends."

Guest optimistic nit

the fact that he's going to norwich for 2mill is a reason why a premiership club such as the toon or yourself could do worse than taking a gamble. The think about sharp is that he's worth 2million, and over, even if he can't cut it in the prem imo. your spending 5 less than on nugent, for a player who has already passed the 30 goals a season mark (albeit in league one). if your not operating on a shoestring then its worth the risk imo. he really deseved to be in the U21 as well.

lets face it, performing in the championship does not mean you will perform in the premiership, yet we have clubs willing to risk 7million on that. performing in league one, does not mean you can perform in the PL either, but you can never really tell how a player will make a step up. If it doesn't work out, sharp would still be worth a few bob to a championship or league one club, as he already has proven himself in league one, at a young age. at the very least he will be a new trundle imo. its relitively low risk, and if he can make the step up, then the best case scenario is you have the new andy johnson. if it doesn't work, then you could flog him for 1million probably more. If nugent doesn't work out he'll lose the buyer 3 million at least.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=43617&cc=5739 edited to include a link to sharp related stats, nugents to follow soon (but they wont be as impressive, i warn you)

if you go onto the game log it appears he scored a hattrick in a 2-0 win over huddesfield. impressive or what? he can score 3 goals, when the team only manage 2.

nugent: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=19945&cc=5739

also one extra point, sharp being sold for only 2million is even more remarkable, when you consider bent is apparently worth 17 and nugent 7. he seems to be the exception to the rule that brittish youngsters are overpriced. scunny are in the championship next year dont forget.

the fact that he's going to norwich for 2mill is a reason why a premiership club such as the toon or yourself could do worse than taking a gamble. The think about sharp is that he's worth 2million, and over, even if he can't cut it in the prem imo. your spending 5 less than on nugent, for a player who has already passed the 30 goals a season mark (albeit in league one). if your not operating on a shoestring then its worth the risk imo. he really deseved to be in the U21 as well.

lets face it, performing in the championship does not mean you will perform in the premiership, yet we have clubs willing to risk 7million on that. performing in league one, does not mean you can perform in the PL either, but you can never really tell how a player will make a step up. If it doesn't work out, sharp would still be worth a few bob to a championship or league one club, as he already has proven himself in league one, at a young age. at the very least he will be a new trundle imo. its relitively low risk, and if he can make the step up, then the best case scenario is you have the new andy johnson. if it doesn't work, then you could flog him for 1million probably more. If nugent doesn't work out he'll lose the buyer 3 million at least.

Good point

Since we are on striker

How many strikers do Birmingham want?

Cameron Jerome, DJ Campbell, Mikael Forssell, Rowan Vine, Gary McSheffrey

Host of good championship strikers, but I doubt any of them is good enough for Premiership.

Skysports

Russians announce striker sale

By Andrew Scurr -  Created on 22 Jun 2007

PREMIERSHIP SEASON 2007-08PREMIERSHIP SEASON 2007-08

Birmingham are 7/2 to finish in the top half. Click for more specials!

Related links

Team Pages:

* Birmingham City

Player Pages:

* Garry O'Connor

Birmingham City have agreed a deal to sign Lokomotiv Moscow striker Garry O'Connor, the Russian club have announced.

Steve Bruce appears to have been successful in his attempts to bring the Scotland international to St Andrews before the weekend after the two clubs reached an accord on a £2.65million fee.

Former Hibernian front man O'Connor will undergo a medical before signing a two-year deal with the newly-promoted Blues.

"Lokomotiv Moscow have come to an agreement with Birmingham City about the transfer of Lokomotiv attacker Garry O'Connor to the English club," Lokomotiv said in a statement on their official website.

"The total fee for O'Connor is $5.3million.

"It is expected that after O'Connor will pass his medical tests, he will sign a two year contract with the Birmingham club.

"Lokomotiv FC wishes to thank the striker for his high professionalism, hard work on the field and for the goal in the Russian Cup Final."

O'Connor had been tracked by Premier League clubs Fulham, Everton and Portsmouth, but it is Birmingham who have won the race for his signature.

The 24-year-old ends a 15-month stint in Russia and he is now looking forward to his latest challenge in England.

He said in a message to the Lokomotiv fans published on their website: "Thank you for your support while I was in Lokomotiv.

"I'll never forget the times I spent at our beautiful stadium, the support that I received on and off the field. You have all been great towards me.

"I also hope you understand the reason why I am leaving. There is only one chance in our life to play in the English Premier league - the best league in the world.

"It's a great opportunity for me which I would like to use. I'll support Lokomotiv forever and I hope that someday I'll come back to Russia to play at this beautiful stadium and see all my friends."

McSheff will probably play on the wing, Forsell is a crock, would be suprised if Vine and Campbell made the step up. Not really sure about Jerome.

McSheff will probably play on the wing, Forsell is a crock, would be suprised if Vine and Campbell made the step up. Not really sure about Jerome.

Correct, McSheffrey plays wide, Forsell's knees are fucked, and even Spudface Bruce must know Campbell belongs in the lower leagues.

Which is where they'll be again after next season, thankfully.