Sam wants to save Luque's toon career....

Guest Darth Toon

I wish Luque was at least banished to the reserves under Roeder, the problem is whenever he did that Luque played well, so he just kept him out of both the first and reserves side, wich didnt really help Luque whenever he got those few mins per 10 games.

Good point, he didn't even play Luque in the reserves. The first game he played he scored two 30-yard screamers away to Liverpool and then disappeared off the radar again for ages. The way Roeder handled it was bizarre and disgraceful when you consider it's his job to get the best out of and deal with difficult players. Shocking. Now we've got a proper manager in who recognises his duties and you know he'll work hard to try and make it work.

Difficult really, if Roeder didn't feel he could get Luque to play anything like his level he didn't really have much choice but not to play him, at the end of the day he was trying to win games and Luque been in the team wouldn't have helped him achieve that.

What about when we played Charlton and Shefield United? he had Duff up front ffs.

Luque hasn't done himself many favours since he's been here however Roeder didn't go out of his way to help the situation either.

Duff has played upfront for Ireland and was still a better option than Luque tbf.

He wasn't like, after the Charlton game he should have been shifted back out wide as he never looked like scoring.

I wish Luque was at least banished to the reserves under Roeder, the problem is whenever he did that Luque played well, so he just kept him out of both the first and reserves side, wich didnt really help Luque whenever he got those few mins per 10 games.

Good point, he didn't even play Luque in the reserves. The first game he played he scored two 30-yard screamers away to Liverpool and then disappeared off the radar again for ages. The way Roeder handled it was bizarre and disgraceful when you consider it's his job to get the best out of and deal with difficult players. Shocking. Now we've got a proper manager in who recognises his duties and you know he'll work hard to try and make it work.

Difficult really, if Roeder didn't feel he could get Luque to play anything like his level he didn't really have much choice but not to play him, at the end of the day he was trying to win games and Luque been in the team wouldn't have helped him achieve that.

What about when we played Charlton and Shefield United? he had Duff up front ffs.

Luque hasn't done himself many favours since he's been here however Roeder didn't go out of his way to help the situation either.

Duff has played upfront for Ireland and was still a better option than Luque tbf.

He wasn't like, after the Charlton game he should have been shifted back out wide as he never looked like scoring.

When has Luque ever looked like scoring when playing in the Premiership? not trying to criticise Luque as i'm probably one of his biggest fans on here and on the same token i'm not trying to praise Duff as he's played very poor all season but if it was down to Luque who had never shown any form or Duff who'd you'd  expect to play well based on his premiership career, i'd go with Duff.

Still doesn't explain why he wouldn't even give him reserve games.

Luque was singled out by Roeder for his lack of enthusiasm under his regime. By the end of his time as manager most of the other players could be accused of it as well, which says more about Roeder than it does about Luque.

"We know his abillty, we've seen that on the training ground" - Lee Clark talking about Luque after the Liverpool reserves game.

I don't think its his lack of enthusiasm that was keeping him out of the team line-up, it was Roeder being a fucking cunt.

Should Allardyce get Luque playing decent football it's going to reflect very badly on Roeder who banished him not only from the first team but the reserves as well, despite the fact our squad was creaking and flirting with relegation. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out.

Allardyce's words are a thinly veiled criticism of Roeder.

Guest khyberpass

What Sam is saying sounds very fair and perceptive. However, I think he'll fail in this instance. The ability is there, but not the aggression. The move came about all of a sudden, and I think Luque quickly regretted it and hasn't been committed since. He's got to now fight for his place against Duff and Zoggy, and I don't think he'll succeed.

Actually, that was one of Luque's key attributes...he was a firey fucker, with a bucketload of passion. I'd love to see him regain that passion in a 4/3/3 or even  4/5/1. Too late to regain his International position; but it could earn him a return to a decent club in Spain to end his career...

I think some people are reading way too much into what Allardyce is saying - if you read what he says, the only quotes that relate directly to Luque are as follows:

"But once this [being settled off the pitch] is sorted out you get the best out of player and this is something I have to try and work out with Albert Luque.

"He might be too far gone. Who knows? But we might still be able to resurrect his career here. We will see."

All quotes before this are more general and could be applied to any foreign player who has flopped or struggled at Newcastle. Indeed, even saying "He might be too far gone" seems to be preparing the fans for the possibility that Luque won't feature.

Pre-season training starts 2 July (if memory serves) which gives Big Sam two whole months before the transfer window closes - I personally wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Allardyce comes to think Roeder and Souness had very good reasons for not involving him, and shipping him out...

I think some people are reading way too much into what Allardyce is saying - if you read what he says, the only quotes that relate directly to Luque are as follows:

"But once this [being settled off the pitch] is sorted out you get the best out of player and this is something I have to try and work out with Albert Luque.

"He might be too far gone. Who knows? But we might still be able to resurrect his career here. We will see."

All quotes before this are more general and could be applied to any foreign player who has flopped or struggled at Newcastle. Indeed, even saying "He might be too far gone" seems to be preparing the fans for the possibility that Luque won't feature.

Pre-season training starts 2 July (if memory serves) which gives Big Sam two whole months before the transfer window closes - I personally wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Allardyce comes to think Roeder and Souness had very good reasons for not involving him, and shipping him out...

I wouldn't think so...Roeder was an idiot...Proved that in many situations...

Souness didn't have the chance to get Luque back to playing well because he was injured most of that time...

Guest Magpiecn

Everyone should be saved.If Duff ,Luque,and any other in the forward and midfield come into being superb again, and buy decent defenders,I'll be shocked to find we cant get into top 6

Guest Ebolarama

I really hope that Allardyce does give Luque another go and makes it perfectly clear that he should fight for his place in the team. He's a good player who sadly never meshed well into the team, for whatever reason.

Didn't Roeder once drop Kanoute in favour of playing Ian Pearce up front though? Doesn't get much more damning than that.

Actually, dropping Luque for Matty Pattison is far worst :lol:

its not that ironic...

I'm praying that Luque will come good.  He has the ability... it's not impossible that Sam may be able to turn things around for him at SJP.  I'm going to hope that Luque sorts him self out and starts to repay some of the large transfer fee we paid.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Big Sam is 1st class at getting the very best out of average players, and that is exactly what Luque is .... Average. Knew it when we bought him that he would not be upto it over here. I would not blame Roeder as i have spoken to a couple of players and they say his attitude stinks in training (i.e cannot be bothered) so Roeder had no choice but to drop him. Now he has 2 seasons here though not many games, i think Big Sams thinking will be to getting him doing a job from the bench, in order to try and get some money back of him. 

Guest Ebolarama

Is Luque's squad number still 7?

No thats now Bartons.

Ah right, cheers. He also played under 20 didn't he? Sorry if these are obvious questions!