Alou Diarra - Equipe.

Optimistic Nut

Just updated on the L'Equipe website 45 minutes ago...

http://www.equipe.fr/Football/breves2007/20070623_095521Dev.html

The list of clubs interested in Alou Diarra continues to grow. Already being watched by Portsmouth, Werder Bremen, Bordeaux and Monaco, the Lyon & France defensive-midfielder is also on Newcastle's list. According to Saturday's L'Equipe, last year's World Cup finalist would be more attracted to this offer than to the one made by Portsmouth. Newcastle would have to bid more than €8.5m (£5.7m).

Is this the Diarra who made a quick cameo in place of Vieira at the last world cup? He looks really immense. The perfect DM machine.

we could then have a central midfield of:

Butt/Diarra and Barton/Emre.

Awesome:)

He's flopped at Lyon apparently; only featured in 9 games for them.. He physically looks the perfect DM, but that's not to say he's good enough, a lesson I hope we´ve learned with Oneywu.. To be honest I don´t know enough of him, but he´s not been able to impress at Olympique Lyon and they´re willing to let him go after just one season, so I´d be wary to splash a huge amount on him..

Isnt this the same Diarra that bombed at Liverpool

He was a teenager that played in the reserves at that point, don't think he kickeda ball in thePremiership. He was also in Bayern Munich's youth system before that.

Good player.

He's flopped at Lyon apparently; only featured in 9 games for them.. He physically looks the perfect DM, but that's not to say he's good enough, a lesson I hope we´ve learned with Oneywu.. To be honest I don´t know enough of him, but he´s not been able to impress at Olympique Lyon and they´re willing to let him go after just one season, so I´d be wary to splash a huge amount on him..

15 games in the league and 5 in Europe, most of them as a sub though.

He was a youth player at Bayern before he moved to Liverpool and played in their second team. I remember Bayern trying everything to hang on to him.

I think it depends on the fee. The rumoured 8.5m Euro from L'Equipe are probably a bit too exepensive, but we definitely could do with another genuine defensive midfieler (and boot out Emre hopefully).

Why are Lyon ditching him though?

And if he was so promising for Bayern why did they let him go to Liverpool?

Why did Liverpool let him go?

Seems everyone just lets him go. How much did Lyon pay for him?

Wait on, I'll try to think of a few more questions :)

Found this: It is fair to suggest that central midfielder Alou Diarra made far more of an impact for his country than he did at Liverpool before he was sold by Rafael Benitez in 2005 to Lens. He was signed by Gerard Houllier from Bayern Munich in 2002 but only played 45 minutes in a pre-season game in Le Havre. He was never seen again in a red shirt but then ended up playing in the 2006 World Cup Final as a substitute for France in their defeat to Italy.

Diarra is now playing under Houllier at Lyon. Before leaving Anfield Diarra spent season long loan spells with Le Havre and Bastia before being transferred to Lens.

Before he signed for Liverpool Diarra had found it hard to break into the Bayern Munich team but did gain experience on loan at German side Freiburg during the 2001-2002 season.

A defensive midfielder, Diarra moved to Bayern Munich from French second division side CS Louhans-Caiseaux in 2000, and appeared during the 2000/01 campaign in Bayern's third-league side.

He's 26 now and has apparently yet to be a hit anywhere, and yet he's on the fringes of the first XI for France.

Certainly need someone like this though, if Sam can work his magic.

Bayern "let" him got because his contract ran out and he refused to sign a new contract. Liverpool let him go when they already had a midfield stocked with Alonso, Sissoko, Hamann, Gerard. Lyon later signed him for 6.25m Euro.

Edit: And he was a hit at Lens for two full seasons.

14 games and I think that's simply because Toulalan and Juninho are ahead of him in the CM pecking order at Lyon.

Bayern "let" him got because his contract ran out and he refused to sign a new contract. Liverpool let him go when they already had a midfield stocked with Alonso, Sissoko, Hamann, Gerard. Lyon later signed him for 6.25m Euro.

Edit: And he was a hit at Lens for two full seasons.

Just realised Houllier signed him for Liverpool, Rafa let him go as he did with many of Houlliers buys, Houllier resigned him for Lyon. He was involved in 14 games of the team that won the league.

He'll do. Get him in. :D

He's 26 now and has apparently yet to be a hit anywhere, and yet he's on the fringes of the first XI for France.

Certainly need someone like this though, if Sam can work his magic.

26 years old and yet to be a hit anywhere..? I´d rather Sam worked his magic on what we already have here and on players that we can at least realistically expect to be of Premiership level, especially for 6 million.. For that money we should be able to do better and with our new found wealth we should certainly be aiming higher in my opinion..

Guest optimistic nit

Don't think we need him at the moment. We need defenders first.

At present we have Nicky Butt, a 32 year old there. Of course we need defenders but we can't just stop looking at other areas because of this!

exactly. people who keep going on about us signing absolutely nobody until we have defenders need to stop being so fucking retarded.

Don't think we need him at the moment. We need defenders first.

At present we have Nicky Butt, a 32 year old there. Of course we need defenders but we can't just stop looking at other areas because of this!

exactly. people who keep going on about us signing absolutely nobody until we have defenders need to stop being so f****** retarded.

True. Would be no good if we have the opportunity to get someone like Diarra in now, but waited until August or whenever after we'd signed 3 more defenders, when all the good players have already been snapped up and we're looking at Plan D & E.

Guest optimistic nit

Viduka-free

Barton-5.8 (or -.7 if you take into account parker)

Rozental-2.7

diarra5.8

that comes to a total of 7.8mill spent so far. the first three is also without ashley's money, as i doubt he will consent to fund any transfers until he's finished sorting out our backroom staff etc... and can descuss budgets with the board and such.

Guest optimistic nit

talking of the zog, should he stay or should he go? looks like he's not off to arsenal, although we can't be sure till july1st. if this is the case then why wasn't he even included in the bench for the final games of the season.