Emre's Staying

Skirge

I am not sure Emre is an Allardyce sort of midfielder, and I half expected him to be shown the door. He's got the ability to play an Okocha type role but for me it depends on whether he is committed enough. If he is, which it sounds like now, then he can still do a great job for us IMO.

Good, I like Emre, a bit of consistency and he can be one of our key players because when he's good, he runs the show.

Aye, this in a nutshell really. Fairly undeniable imo.

Good, I like Emre, a bit of consistency and he can be one of our key players because when he's good, he runs the show.

Agreed, which is what makes him so frustrating the rest of the time when he seems to just drift through games doing nowt.

Could be a motivation thing, hopefully Sam will light a fire under his arse.

Agreed, which is what makes him so frustrating the rest of the time when he seems to just drift through games doing nowt.

Yep, true. His performances have gradually deteriorated after (what i thought was) an excellent start, but they decreased rapidly when his mate Souness left. However, on top of that, i don't think he's ever been played correctly tbh.

When Parker was in the team, it was all about accommodating Parker; when it should have been all about accommodating Emre. Then, when Butt was on form, Roeder felt he had to accommodate all three - then Dyer aswell. Really makes you realise what a joker the fella was when we lined up with a midfield of:

Dyer --- Parker --- Butt --- Emre

Four centre-mids. :rolleyes:

Emre was never made the main man by Roeder when i reckon he probably should have been.

also agreed

could be wrong but when turkey were shit hot didn't they play a couple of midfielders in with emre to basically chop people up and let him concentrate on playmaking and getting the ball to the likes of hasan sas? 

seem to remember when we played inter at home emre ran the show as well and he was more or less allowed to take the ball and think about the attacking side of the game even though they were away from home

could be interesting indeed if barton/butt do most of the legwork and hard tackling leaving emre to look for owen/martins/viduka/milner/zog or whoever else plays

Could be right, Mrmo, and i reckon Emre and Barton could alternate quite comfortably. And with Butt (or a new signing) being the 'protector of defense', a three-man midfield really should work quite well.

the more you think about it the more you realise we have a lot of VERY good assets in the sqaud that have been so badly under-utilised

if we can add some semblance of a quality, settled defence to the squad we might very well be in business next season

a lot will depend on how fast we hit the ground running, if it all falls into place at the start we'll be laughing but if it takes a while to settle in then next season might be one of frustration

the more you think about it the more you realise we have a lot of VERY good assets in the sqaud that have been so badly under-utilised

Spot on; the potential that Roeder's squad actually had was surprisingly high.

Emre and N'Zogbia are the two I'm most excited to see under new management, assuming they both stay.

N'Zogbia as an attacking winger in a 4-3-3? Could be very promising, he's always looked composed in front of goal and has always said he sees his best position as playing just behind the striker(s). Others, myself included, think his qualities point towards him being a winger. Bith of a mixture of both playing out left in a 4-3-3, perhaps we'll get the best of both worlds.

Spot on; the potential that Roeder's squad actually had was surprisingly high.

that's the damning indictment of the man ain't it? 

we scored 38 goals last season with the players we had - fine owen and ameobi were out but a manager worth his salt would have found a way to get martins/duff/zog/dyer/milner/carroll/solano working better to create more chances and goals

we can't really blame him too much for the defence, assuming he never had any money to rebuild it, but the poor quality/record of our all round forward play tells it's own story

Emre and N'Zogbia are the two I'm most excited to see under new management, assuming they both stay.

N'Zogbia as an attacking winger in a 4-3-3? Could be very promising, he's always looked composed in front of goal and has always said he sees his best position as playing just behind the striker(s). Others, myself included, think his qualities point towards him being a winger. Bith of a mixture of both playing out left in a 4-3-3, perhaps we'll get the best of both worlds.

Aye, the idea of Zoggy as a centre-mid sickened me from the off, and it still does. One of the many, many factors of Roeder's actual downfall itself, was the treatment of N'Zogbia; and i don't think there's any other individual factor that makes me so angry, other than that one.

This'll sound a bit out there, and i'll probably get slated, but we had a young guy there who had the potential to be better than Ginola and Robert put together, imo. He was just that good in 05/06.

Then to convert him into centre-mid? Gar. Pisses me off just thinking about it. Really hope Sam tries to sort him out.

Aye, the idea of Zoggy as a centre-mid sickened me from the off, and it still does. One of the many, many factors of Roeder's actual downfall itself, was the treatment of N'Zogbia; and i don't think there's any other individual factor that makes me so angry, other than that one.

This'll sound a bit out there, and i'll probably get slated, but we had a young guy there who had the potential to be better than Ginola and Robert put together, imo. He was just that good in 05/06.

Then to convert him into centre-mid? Gar. Pisses me off just thinking about it. Really hope Sam tries to sort him out.

I'd have hope for Sam sorting him out, or at least getting through to him that his best position is on the wing.

Agree with you about Roeder's handling of N'Zogbia, complete disgrace.

Better than Ginola and Robert put together is pushing it though. :lol:

I'd have hope for Sam sorting him out, or at least getting through to him that his best position is on the wing.

agree with both of you about charlie

a lot of people here and elsewhere have slated the lad for his ego and various other things but at the end of the day a "manager" should know how to handle different types of player and roeder didn't seem to know how to handle ANY type of player

oldest cliche in the book but don't people think romario or some else like him had an attitude?  fuck the attitude, learn how to harness it on the pitch

i'll never forget zogs goal vs blackburn, the cheeky little rollover at pace....hope his treatment hasn't pushed him over the edge at our place 'cause he can easily get that back again

Aye, pushing it, but not totally unrealistic imo. The lad's class, man. ;)

N'Zogbia has their ability plus a fighter's instinct, priceless in a left sided midfielder. I completely agree that he is one of our biggest assets totally mis-managed. I am pretty certain that Allardyce will have seen it as well.

N'Zogbia has their ability plus a fighter's instinct, priceless in a left sided midfielder. I completely agree that he is one of our biggest assets totally mis-managed. I am pretty certain that Allardyce will have seen it as well.

i hope to fuck you're right

with a bit of luck allardyce will get his hands on him before arsenal have a chance to recover from the thierry henry carry on

i'd say arsenal was probably the only place he'd be likely to go in this country (possibly spurs) so if allardyce can sort his head out and show the lad he's wanted we'll get get him back on track

Excellent news. I believe he will be devastating in a 3-man midfield. He was awesome when he first started out, but fizzlied out eventually. (Like most of the other toon players, unfortunately)