Allardyce to be given £50m by Ashley - The Times

Guest TrEe

A lot of good points being made here.

I don't want trophy signings, nor expensive signings necessarily, but I believe I'm looking at the bigger picture when I say that a lot of other clubs will use this window to strengthen and while I'm satisfied with the signings of Barton and Viduka, we could still do better.

It's going to be difficult to attract top quality players here, we just finished 13th and we're out of Europe. But by the same token it's going to be difficult to persuade players like Hyypia to leave Liverpool in the twilight of his career for a place on our bench. Similarly it's going to be difficult to nab Marseille's captain and use him as a squad player. Man Utd or Chelsea could do that, but they won't come to Newcastle for that and if they do it will be for the wrong reasons as well.

My point is that Newcastle aren't big enough yet to keep a big squad of quality players that happy. Hyypia will want to play every week otherwise why leave Liverpool? Same for Beye. We only get one shot at bringing new blood in and if we've got the money we should be going for the best we can while everyone around us is doing the same. I agree about getting some signings of decent players in first to boost a very thin squad, but if we want to lift a level while we've got the chance then we should bring in one or two of real quality, Andrade being just one example.

Spot on O0

Viduka for nowt or Dean Ashton for £15m - Discuss.

That's one for the "world's thinnest books" thread.

Viduka is a better player tbh. Mardy sod but talent wise he is unplayable at times.

Ashton is good but I watched a bit of him at Norwich and Bent at Ipswich at Ipswich and neither struck me as being top top class. The figures quoted suggest they are.

Obviously those two are younger but I think we would be better off looking for the next batch of kids like them coming through and picking them up if poss. Hope that makes sense. In the meantime I am happy with Viduka, Martins, Owen and Shola. People moan about Shola but he isnt anywhere near as bad as people make out. If he was first choice I would be joining the chorus but he isnt at the moment.

I digress anyway. Prefer to have a bit of evolution before the revolution starts....

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

Ashton, Gattuso, Miguel, Andrade for around £40m.

or

Viduka, Barton, Rozenhal, Beye, Hyypia, Baines, Sagna, Diarra, Boateng, Arteta for £40m or so.

?

The second list. I was just giving examples of good players who'd improve us who'd cost big fees. I don't get why people are so against it.

Because history tells an intriguing story. (Most) Newcastle fans have learned that building a squad is now a better foundation for success, rather than buying expensive individuals.

Mainly down to the fact we've had sh*t managers when it comes to the transfer market (and yes, I include Robson here). I'd be a lot more confident in Allardyce bringing in a good £9m player than I would have been had Robson, Souness or Roeder done the same.

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

or

Viduka, Barton, Rozenhal, Beye, Hyypia, Baines, Sagna, Diarra, Boateng, Arteta for £40m or so.

?

Well for £50m then Yorkie, would you sniff your nose at Viduka, Barton, Rozehnal, Miguel, Andrade, Arteta, Diarra & Baines?

Well no, obviously not. But that's what Leazes said earlier that you seemed to go against. Sort out your argument, Nut!

we should be looking at getting good value for the essential signings that our squad has needed for a few years now. then with whatever money is left from the £50m we should go out and get 2 or 3 major sigings that will transform the team, the likes of Tevez, Torres, Diego, Arteta and so on. obviously it is hard to get players of this calibre but we should try if we have the money.

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

or

?

Well for £50m then Yorkie, would you sniff your nose at Viduka, Barton, Rozehnal, Miguel, Andrade, Arteta, Diarra & Baines?

Well no, obviously not. But that's what Leazes said earlier that you seemed to go against. Sort out your argument, Nut!

My argument stands. We've got two of the big signings in there and you're happy with it.

it's not a question of big name or big money signings,it's the right signings that count.

Exactly my point. If that means we only spend £10m then so be it.

i agree....................................don't think it will though

Guest Alan Shearer 9

If we have that money we should definately buy one "Trophy signing" ie someone with real class like a Deco or someone, not someone like fucking Bent, I want technical footballers!!!!

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

or

?

My argument stands. We've got two of the big signings in there and you're happy with it.

??? You've pretty much outlined, or elaborated on what Leazes initially said; build a squad then buy one or two 'big-name' players; something you argued against earlier on.

Guest optimistic nit

I'd rather put £20 million into buying top young talent for the youth team rather than blowing it on a trophy signing tbh.

aye.

maybe our scouts will get further than ipswich this time.

Although were all kegging ourselves with excitement, i think SA will be sticking to what his initial plan was, to bring in good players to build a squad, and then try and bring int some top quality with whatever he was given extra with the arrival of Ashley.

Rozy is a squad player, i hope Ashley is now looking to bring in a top named CB so Rozy & Taylor can fight for the honour to play alongside him.

With that level of money we now need to free transfer Carr & Babayaro, and bring in 4 new fullbacks. Do that and buy Tevez (or one creative players we can build around), it won't be long until we hit the good times with a squad built like that.

Am exited, its everything you want to read, and i know so many teams have £50m to spend, but Chelsea & Manu are done spending imo. WHU & Citeh won't be able to compete with us, we were ahead of the game before the takeovers started and currently still are. WHU are seen as a laughing stock, Citeh are still up in the air. Villa are not making massive strides but sensible ones & the likes of Liverpool & Arsenal are looking at different kinds of players to us, we need to get our squad to their level, then look at the additions they are wanting to make next year is possible.

No European football holds us back, i'd rather do it sensibly than go head 1st taking hits in the transfer and wage department to have players only here for the cash. We've done that, WHU are doing it now, its gets you nowhere fast.

If we have that money we should definately buy one "Trophy signing" ie someone with real class like a Deco or someone, not someone like f****** Bent, I want technical footballers!!!!

Why the fuck would Deco join Newcastle United?

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

or

?

??? You've pretty much outlined, or elaborated on what Leazes initially said; build a squad then buy one or two 'big-name' players; something you argued against earlier on.

Sorry, I was still on a role from my reply to the "Good players > expensive players" post so missed that bit. I agree with leazes.

The problem Allardyce will have now is that he hasn't scouted players with a £50 million budget it mind, it seems most of his signings so far are players he would have tried to attract to Bolton.

The problem Allardyce will have now is that he hasn't scouted players with a £50 million budget it mind, it seems most of his signings so far are players he would have tried to attract to Bolton.

I reckon he has. He's scouted at all levels, he'd be stupid no to anticipate a cash boost with a new oner who's the 25th richest man in the UK.

He's not Souness/Rodent you know!  :uglystupid2:

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

or

?

Sorry, I was still on a role from my reply to the "Good players > expensive players" post so missed that bit. I agree with leazes.

You quoted his post and argued against it. :lol:

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. I think we've both come to some sort of mutual agreement mate. :lol:

I'd be very disappointed in him if that's true. I don't think it is mind. If that is the case, we might as well accept mid-table now.

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

or

?

You quoted his post and argued against it. :lol:

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. I think we've both come to some sort of mutual agreement mate. :lol:

I missed the last paragraph of leazes post.