Guest Martin

Viduka

Barton

Rozenhal

Edmilson (?)

Gudjohnsen (?)

Is anyone else concerned?

You're completely right

Let's get rid of the lot and buy some Martin's and Rommedahl's to play as Targetmen, cm's and cb's, 'cause that's where the pace's needed.

O0

Guest Milburnthedog

Its something that has worried me for a while and we seem not to be adding the quick players needed in the Prem these days. To be honest though, simple passing and moving will be better than the dross suffered in the past half a dozen seasons. Work rate will be there as will the fitness, we just need creative players to open up defences and create chances.

Are we actually getting any slower when you consider that so far we've signed Viduka, Barton and Rozehnal to replace Sibierski, Parker and Bramble? I think we've got quicker players (or at least as quick) there than what we previously had, although admittedly not by much.

Let's see who actually stays/goes from here before we start worrying about this, there are currently plenty of speed merchants left at the club - we've got one of the fastest squads in the league on paper - I'd actually prefer it if we played a more technical way than the "push and run" we've employed since Robson left as well.

As for Ballack being quick, I've seen JCB's move quicker than he did every time I saw him last term!

Also, I'd be massively surprised if we sign two fullbacks slower than Solano, Carr, Babayaro and Huntington/Ramage/Edgar and another centre-half that's as slow as Craig Moore is/was.

When you look at things that way, aren't we actually improving this particular department?

As others have said, there's still N'Zogbia, Owen, Martins, Milner, Emre, Duff and Dyer who are hardly short of "pace" - to varying degrees of course - and of course it's already been noted that some of these might be away/are injured, etc.

Nowt to worry about just yet!

Also, I'd be massively surprised if we sign two fullbacks slower than Solano, Carr, Babayaro and Huntington/Ramage/Edgar and another centre-half that's as slow as Craig Moore is/was.

When you look at things that way, aren't we actually improving this particular department?

As others have said, there's still N'Zogbia, Owen, Martins, Milner, Emre, Duff and Dyer who are hardly short of "pace" - to varying degrees of course - and of course it's already been noted that some of these might be away/are injured, etc.

he is as good as gone

he is as good as gone

If you read about 20 words after that I do mention something along those lines already.

If we're playing 4-5-1/4-3-3 which is highly likely then we only need pace in the wide areas. As things stand we've got Duff, N'Zogbia, Dyer, Martins and Owen, that's probably more pace than most squads the league. Central midfielders don't need pace, consider Zidane, Scholes, Pirlo etc, they've all made careers as world class midfielders without any pace at all.

i still think we need more players who have pace than that, duff and milner might be fast in their own right, but we need a super quick winger still

If the Gudjonsen rumours have any truth in them I'd be slightly concerned about the lack of pace up front because that would probably mean that Martins is on his way out.