£300m expansion plans in doubt

JH

I much rather have a decent team than stadium.  Teams like Chelsea and Liverpool have smaller stadium than ours but they have superior teams on the picth. Once we got a good team it is easier to expand the stadium.

I'd prefer both, a good stadium and team, I think we have a good stadium already but would like to see it evened up a bit, getting level 7 on the Gallowgate would help a lot.

A good-sized stadium is essential. It's our main source of income for starters and the only reason we are close to approaching a 'big club'. Once the stadia of our rivals dwarfs our own, we'll be up shit creek unless we actually start winning stuff.

It all sounded like another FFS pie-in-the-sky  quote to me at the time.Too many things that did'nt add up.

I was told by a previous stadium manager at SJP that further building work at the Gallowgate couldn't go ahead because they couldn't re-inforce the Metro tunnels

It all sounded like another FFS pie-in-the-sky  quote to me at the time.Too many things that did'nt add up.

I was told by a previous stadium manager at SJP that further building work at the Gallowgate couldn't go ahead because they couldn't re-inforce the Metro tunnels

We've had plans for a Gallowgate extension for years, it is possible.

Guest Milburnthedog

No doubt Ashleys new team will look at the feasibility of it in cost and return for the Club. If it will make sense then he'll go for it, if not he won't, simple as that.

Another 8,000 supporters in the ground would be good though and the ground would look awesome.

Guest samtoonarmy

I think we do need the 60,000 capacity. If you look at all of the other top clubs like Arsenal and Manchester Utd - they both have 60,000+ capacity. Liverpool will also have 60,000+ capacity in the near future, when the work on the Stanley Park ground is complete. I beleive it is necessary to extend St. James' Park so that the atmosphere would be much better than it already is (even though it always is good :D) and that we can use some of the money from gate receipts, in the transfer market to bring in more players. 

Guest Milburnthedog

Atmosphere good!!! Have you been in the last 3 yrs or so??

I expect it to be a lot better next season though.

Chicken and egg imo.

Do you need the extra revenue from the bigger ground to improve the squad, or do you invest in the team to fill a bigger ground?  :undecided:

If Ashley can afford both then it's all good baby.  O0

I much rather have a decent team than stadium.  Teams like Chelsea and Liverpool have smaller stadium than ours but they have superior teams on the picth. Once we got a good team it is easier to expand the stadium.

Half-right - you need BOTH, but the team takes precedence ; anyone who doubts that should look at Sheffield Weds & what happened when they put ground before team...

Personally, I wouldn't care if Ashley had to move to get a much bigger stadium once things start rolling & success arrives - we lost hugely when the Leazes Park project was downed, and even if it meant going over the river(which would concentrate the Council's minds hugely.!!)we should consider it if it means keeping up with Man U, Liverpool etc.

Guest Ridzuan

As much as I would like to see the expansion plans to go through,I dont mind not having it if we can bring some success to the club under Mr Ashley's leadership.

Atmosphere good!!! Have you been in the last 3 yrs or so??

I expect it to be a lot better next season though.

as the ground has got bigger the atmosphere has got worse IMHO

Half-right - you need BOTH, but the team takes precedence ; anyone who doubts that should look at Sheffield Weds & what happened when they put ground before team...

Personally, I wouldn't care if Ashley had to move to get a much bigger stadium once things start rolling & success arrives - we lost hugely when the Leazes Park project was downed, and even if it meant going over the river(which would concentrate the Council's minds hugely.!!)we should consider it if it means keeping up with Man U, Liverpool etc.

worry about that once we've won the PL , the Cup and reached the SF of the CL regularly