£300m expansion plans in doubt

JH

Expansion of stadium in doubt

by Nick Whitten, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE Uniteds major expansion plans have been thrown into doubt by Mike Ashleys takeover.

The 42-year-old billionaire has launched a full strategic review of the club after taking control at St James Park.

All aspects of the club are under scrutiny, including plans to expand the stadium to more than 60,000 capacity as well as building two hotels, a conference centre, apartments and offices.

The ambitious £300m expansion plans, which would create more than 1,500 jobs, were only revealed in April.

Former Toon director Bruce Shepherd, brother of chairman Freddy, was appointed project manager for the expansion plans.

But after he resigned from the board on Tuesday, the plans could be in jeopardy. A source close to the club said: Now that Bruce Shepherd has gone and Mr Ashleys has launched his review of Newcastle United, the expansion could never happen.

A lot of work was starting to be put into the plans, with lots of discussions with planners and architects taking place.

But it all could come to nothing if Mr Ashley decides he is not interested.

The plans involved expanding the Gallowgate End on land above St James Metro Station, increasing capacity by at least 8,000.

A key part of the plans was the building of a major 2,500-seat conference centre, which would be the largest in the North East.

According to Newcastle Gateshead Initiative chief executive Andrew Dixon, the region has turned down 40 major events, worth £20m, in the past three years due to a lack of suitable facilities.

Sports tycoon Mr Ashley has appointed top London lawyer Christopher Mort as deputy chairman and he has already set to work inspecting the club. It is not clear whether Mr Mort, 41, supports the expansion plans

Mr Ashley revealed yesterday that in just over a month since launching his takeover he now owns more than 93% of Newcastle United.

He has set the target of taking the club back into private ownership by July 18.

Link

An expansion is vital if he wants to make more money.

We sell out for shite and no glory, if we ever become successful then he needs to look at getting more bums on seats.

Disappointed in this news, i think the expansion is just as important to us as the takeover.

Guest hagler

its all free anyway.......so it will happen......just might be bigger and better now...like the chelsea village....thats why abramovich bought chelsea........property

Wasn't sure it's needed anyway.

It was an attempt to keep up with recent expansions of other clubs, or brand new stadiums, whatever, as that's all we had, was the second largest capacity in England.  But who gives a fuck about that now?  The future is a lot brighter, and I'd much rather we expanded when we're performing on the pitch and not as an attempt to cling on to 'something'.

if shepherd had beeen in charge and spent £300m, i think it could have all gone badly wrong!!! Im glad asgley has taken over because at least it means it will be profitable now, rther than a joke. shepherd just watned us to have a big stadium so we can look as good as arsenal!! at least with ashley, i have confidence in things

Just re-read that - it really doesn't say anywhere that there is any suggestion that Ashley won't support the plans; just that's not confirmed he does. I wouldn't expect him to just yet anyway. Not till he's got 100% at least.

I suspect it's quite a lot to mull over. In terms of growing the club, I'm not sure it was ever really going to do that much for us, was it? A smallish extension somewhere down the line, that's it.

Certainly £300m for only 8,000 seats is hardly great value for money when double that money would get you a brand new 60,000 stadium.

But that's the price to pay for staying where you are and having probably the best stadium location in British football.

Certainly £300m for only 8,000 seats is hardly great value for money when double that money would get you a brand new 60,000 stadium.

But that's the price to pay for staying where you are and having probably the best stadium location in British football.

I'm guessing the £300m figure includes the 8000 seat expanison, the two hotels, flats, offices and conference centre

Werent outside agencies supposed to be footing a large percentage of the bill?

The whole thing, and we got a free stadium expansion out of it.

Maybe Ashley wants the expansion but wants it to pay for it himself.

Guest Magpiecn

Ashley will not comfirm the plan during his first year in here.The first thing he will concentrate on the pitch.May be after one or two year ,his decision will come out.

Ashley will not comfirm the plan during his first year in here.The first thing he will concentrate on the pitch.May be after one or two year ,his decision will come out.

Yeah, this sounds about right.

They were supposed to be footing it all as far as I recall, which means in its current state it is extremely unlikely to go ahead.

There may be expansions, but they will be to Ashleys plan now.

Edit: Damn, wish I'd keep reading a thread before deciding to answer a post.

There's no news here. When you do a major strategic review to look at everything that means you do a major strategic review to look at everything. All that's going on here is that a mate of some architect or construction group is trying to whip up some PR to make sure the project continues.

No idea if that conference centre would have made money, Chelseas was losing cash hand over fist before Abramovich came in, and now we just don't know.

Guest Steven_MB

Werent outside agencies supposed to be footing a large percentage of the bill?

The whole thing, and we got a free stadium expansion out of it.

Maybe Ashley wants the expansion but wants it to pay for it himself.

It'd be far better if he did pay for it himself, then as long as its well run, we could get large amounts of capital, with ashley getting lots of profit.

Guest optimistic nit

what the fuck is this even saying? ashley's takeover could possibly stop the expansion. NO FUCKING SHIT SHERLOCK. of course it fucking could. it says nowhere ashley doesn't want this to happen just than an "insider" says that ashley may not be interested. I could tell you that for nowt.

i don't care either way btw

what the fuck is this even saying? ashley's takeover could possibly stop the expansion. NO FUCKING SHIT SHERLOCK. of course it fucking could. it says nowhere ashley doesn't want this to happen just than an "insider" says that ashley may not be interested. I could tell you that for nowt.

i don't care either way btw

I do.

Long after the the players, Sam & Ashley have gone the club will still be here, and its base for financial profit will always be SJP. The bigger the better imo, its always been a special place and always been marveled at for its size, but truth is we need it to be bigger to self support our ambitions under Ashley. I hope if he scraps the hotels scheme, he sill goes for the expansion, i also hope he maybe even sees an expansion beyond FS's plans and would like to finish off the ground if we can come to an arrangement about the buildings behind. TBH this football club means more to the City than those buildings, its only a matter of money to get the go ahead in the end.