£303,758

Martin Lol

Martin Jol spinning an anti-newcastle angle once more. that is prize money, we also got ticket money, sponsorship and tv money, most of our games being on terrestrial unlike spurs who were stuck out on ITV73.

Ah! Mystery solved.

Martin Jol spinning an anti-newcastle angle once more. that is prize money, we also got ticket money, sponsorship and tv money, most of our games being on terrestrial unlike spurs who were stuck out on ITV73.

Ah! Mystery solved.

Is it?  Was there a link to a UEFA site posted earlier?  I could not get access.

Never made an anti-Newcastle comment, never mentioned Spurs.  Simply copied and pasted the Mail's article.  How you interpret that is your problem.

Incidentally, I did look around the Uefa site to see if I could verify the figures, I couldn't find anything, maybe you can.

"Hardly worth the effort."

So you come on here, a NUFC forum, telling us our UEFA cup efforts were hardly worth the effort then when someone gets their back up you tell them its not anti NUFC and its their problem for thinking otherwise.

:tool:

Guest tomi

Ah! Mystery solved.

Is it?  Was there a link to a UEFA site posted earlier?  I could not get access.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=42284.msg901199#msg901199

Ah! Mystery solved.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=42284.msg901199#msg901199

"Page 8 and 9 here"

Page 8 and 9 where??

Guest Steven_MB

Spurs got so much more money in the "market Pool" what is that that gives such higher revenues than everything else?

sorry if obvious question or sumthing.

Guest tomi

Ah! Mystery solved.

"Page 8 and 9 here"

Page 8 and 9 where??

The word 'here' is the link mate :). http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/555726.pdf

Does that include intertoto money? Why is everyone on MJ`s case over this? He is only posting an article, he doesn`t decide the prize money himself does he?

his opening line plus there's smugness implied in the lack of comment about it for me, indicative of them as a whole at the moment, fucken smartarses

the fact that he never commented suggests to me he's trying to prove something instead of saying "bloody hell we only played one more game than you and look at the difference in prize money, hard to believe eh?"

Just another cheap dig from Martin Jol, there's a pro-Spurs agenda behind almost everything he writes.

It's a shame he wasn't more like the Man City, Villa, Everton fans etc who come on here and resist the urge to have cheap digs or gloat about every good piece of news from their own clubs.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Just another cheap dig from Martin Jol, there's a pro-Spurs agenda behind almost everything he writes.

It's a shame he wasn't more like the Man City, Villa, Everton fans etc who come on here and resist the urge to have cheap digs or waste their time trying to impress us about their own clubs.

He must be a very sad person. Spends his time on other clubs' forums looking for fights of sorts.

Each country is assessed by Uefa as contributing to the commercial success of their competitions.

The Uefa Cup had a marketing pool of money which totalled €13.5m across all the countries in it.

Each country then gets its market pool back to reward its teams who have made the quart-finals. Spain had a marketing pool of €4.883m and two teams in the quarter finals so they got €2.44lm each. England only had Spurs in the quart-finals so the English pool of €3.5m all went to Spurs. If we had qualified for the quarter finals we would have split the pot with Spurs and got €1.7m each.

It is similar in the CL but has the added complication of the finishign position of the team the year they qualified, so Chelsea > Man U > Liverpool > Arsneal, and some other muliplier related to games played in the CL

Hope this helps  :o

I lost a £50 bet with 2 spurs fans last season. I`m not bitter though, let them have their year or two of finishing higher. We all know it won`t last. What I`m saying is I wouldn`t really expect much else from a fan of another club that has had to suffer being worse than us for years and has just found out our prize money takes the piss. I had the same attitude with my mates who support other clubs and I don`t expect other supporters to be any different. Its all banter.

I don`t mind other fans from other clubs on here, even the annoying ones, it gives us a mini break from the constant black and white.

Guest Verlaine

What's this? A post from MJ very subtlely trying to say something about how Spurs are more important than Newcastle, shrouded in the guide of impartial reporting? NEVER.

If you were to add up all the gate money we took from playing loads of games in Europe we probably made a couple of million. We played 14 games, 7 of them at home. I would perhaps agree that in hindsight, seeing as we didn't get that far this time, then the injuries and fatigue we suffered wasn't worth the money we made out of it. We certainly didn't have a squad capable of fighting on four fronts, that's for sure.

It may be a blessing in disguise that Spurs, Everton and Bolton may play an extra 10 or 12 games this season while we can focus on the league.

You are right Jol, hardly worth the effort.

I think we should team up with other clubs that regularly miss out on latter Europe like Athletico Madrid, PSG, Boca Juniors, the 4th placed club in each CL group, and form our own tournament.

Terrestrial channels would probably show our matches instead of Spurs UEFA Cup matches, and our fans would actually turn up, and we'd rake all the money and attention.

Uefa are extremely odd with their payments.  Osasuna got less than spurs.  The Estonian FA received more money than the english FA for their clubs.  Its extrememly odd.  I suppose its just the same reason Spurs fans don't have to back up their claims of their sheer brilliance and future domination of football worldwide.  They are just great!  Best Manager in the world, best players in world, best chairman, the best fans in the world, the biggest stadium in the world (they have another arena below the ground which uses and intricate array of mirrors and magic to get the game visible from underground).  I could go on but you get the idea.

Ah! Mystery solved.

"Page 8 and 9 here"

Page 8 and 9 where??

The word 'here' is the link mate :). http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/555726.pdf

CHEERS!

Looks like not getting 'one more round' further, cost us £1.7M (half the 'pot' that Spurs ended up getting all of!!)

Ah well . . .  hopefully such things are no longer such a concern now (money-wise) . .  and hopefully they are also less likely to actually even happen so often from now on (playing-wise)!!

Never made an anti-Newcastle comment, never mentioned Spurs.  Simply copied and pasted the Mail's article.  How you interpret that is your problem.

Incidentally, I did look around the Uefa site to see if I could verify the figures, I couldn't find anything, maybe you can.

i'm intruiged as to your reasons for posting the article in the first place, care to enlighten us?

Guest sittingontheball

Weren't a lot of the games on Channel 5?

As prize money goes, we effed up more finished in the bottom half of the table. Isn't it 500,000 a place? At the tail end of the season, we had all those defeats to mediocre teams in dull encounters. More often than not it was "I wonder why I bother".

Things are looking good now though!

Because it shows how much Rudderless Roeder f***** up in Alkmaar.

Its not Jol's fault he's a spurs fan btw.

amuses me that it appears to have been approached from a position of condescension (my opinion) when their record for being in europe, and consequently monies earned, compared to us means if anyones looking down on anyone here it's us ain't it?

i mean we wouldn't exactly go onto a spurs website quoting an article referencing how much better we are at mid-table mediocrity and skirting with relegation, based on one season now would we?  given that over the last 10 years or so they've left us behind in that department....

I think there's been an over reaction to Jol in this thread. Let's be fair, the prize money derisory. I didn't get any 'condescending vibe' off his post at all, and it seems the Mail reported this accurately. No Cockney plot to undermine us. Relax boys, last season was sh*te for many reasons, but it was last season. I've nearly forgotten it.