The Asian Cup

Newcastle Fan

Guest assyriantoon

Iraq has as much natural talent as any team in Asia, perhaps more but it is lacking in the infrastructure that countries like Saudi Arabia have. In the 1980s we qualified for the world cup so we have never been one of the weaker teams in Asia. Now we have much talent again but our country is ravaged by war. All of our players play in foreign countries because we don't have adequate leagues at home. From our current squad I believe basem and nashat akram to be two players capable of playing in Europe. In England perhaps this was a big upset, but in the middle East it's not as suprising to see Iraq win.

F*cking unbelievable...Iraq deserved it 200%...They dominated the game and should have had 3 goals at least...Amazing stuff...What a story...Great talent in that squad...Finally Iraq got their revenge against the Saudis when they lost to them in the Gulf Cup by 1 goal to 0 and that was through a bullshit penalty...

Iraq....Iraq....Iraq....

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/75848943.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193954D253045690004F5B9B01469289A6A

Not the best cup I've ever seen.

what the heck is Blatter doing there?! >:(

Is there a problem with the President of FIFA handing over the Asian Cup?

Guest black

All I'll say about the targetman issue is that your interpretation is very very strict and narrow. IMO Viduka is mostly played as a targetman - whether he is a good one or not is another issue.

Again let me reiterate why is my interpretation any less correct than yours just because YOU disagree with it?

(Actually I've just read your opinion on Cho Jae-Jin so I have no doubt that your opinion is skewed.)

Congratulations to Iraq, forgetting the simulations tactics that have blighted the Asian Cup, the best team won.

The arrogance of Japan, Korea, Australia and even Iran has been shown up by a team that played as a unit, with heart and determination. I look forward to watching them knocking the stuffing out of the States at the next Confederates Cup.

I said in an earlier post it would be good to see Haidar Abdul Amer get a chance to play at a higher level but that could be said about the whole of the Iraq team.

So in the 2009 Confederations Cup, in South Africa, we have a 50-50 chance Iraq will play USA in one of the groups...not worth thinking about!

Iraq will beat the USA.

The ref in this 3/4th play off is a joke. The sending off was iffy and then the dismissal of 3 staff on the South Korean bench was even more ridiculous. Wasted about 5 minutes of time as we waited for them to head up stairs. Just get the game to move on!

Korea (10 men) 0-0 Japan after 62 mins.

see this.... how shit this ref is? this ref is the shit one who commanding indonesia VS saudi arabia game...

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/75848943.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193954D253045690004F5B9B01469289A6A

the funny one when indonesia no.1 giving the cup to younis mahmoud... and the other iraqis player jump at the president... to touch the cup.. that was funny as heck... because  the indonesia secret service was quick to protect the president after that ... hahahaha... that was funny as heck.... :lol: mostly people here was supporting iraq...

Is there a problem with the President of FIFA handing over the Asian Cup?

Nah, i was joking anyway.

Guest ryunufc

Iraq has as much natural talent as any team in Asia, perhaps more but it is lacking in the infrastructure that countries like Saudi Arabia have. In the 1980s we qualified for the world cup so we have never been one of the weaker teams in Asia. Now we have much talent again but our country is ravaged by war. All of our players play in foreign countries because we don't have adequate leagues at home. From our current squad I believe basem and nashat akram to be two players capable of playing in Europe. In England perhaps this was a big upset, but in the middle East it's not as suprising to see Iraq win.

i like bassem abbas performance yesterday. nashat akram has been important since day one of the tournament. the brightest player on the pitch was number 13, karrar i think his name. your players have the best understanding between each other, played like a club side. i only learned yesterday that some of them were involved in the 4th place finish last olympic.

And there in lies why Australia will never win against a well drilled team, Viduka isn't a target man. Duncan Ferguson is a target man, Brian McBride is a target man.

Well done to Iraq, wouldn't mind seeing Haidar Abdul Amer, Iraq central defender get an opportunity to prove himself at a decent level, he looked very solid and comfortable on the ball.

Dukes isn't a target man?? I think u have ur argument mixed up.  You're saying that in your opinion, Viduka is NOT a good target man.  In my humble opinion, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons Big Sam bought Viduka is to play him as a target man. Assuming Big Sam plays a similar 4-3-3 to what he played at Bolton, Dukes will play the position Kevin Davies was playing - as a target man with Martins and Owen playing off him. In relation to Australia, throughout the world cup last year and this year's asian cup with the exception of the Japan match, Viduka played as a targetman.  Ferguson was a targetman, McBride is a targetman and Viduka is a targetman.

Why would I have my arguments mixed up????? Because they are different to yours???

Viduka is not a targetman, a targetman is someone who likes the ball hit long at them for them to knock it on to another. Ask Viduka if that's how he likes to play football? Ask him if that is his strength?

Viduka is a skillful, ball playing forward not a targetman. He wants the ball played to him on the deck and to his feet or within a radius of four feet from him. Even as a bairn when I first saw him play for Melbourne Knights in 1993, when he was quicker than he is now, he always wanted the ball played into his feet. Please learn the difference.

All I'll say about the targetman issue is that your interpretation is very very strict and narrow. IMO Viduka is mostly played as a targetman - whether he is a good one or not is another issue.

Again let me reiterate why is my interpretation any less correct than yours just because YOU disagree with it?

(Actually I've just read your opinion on Cho Jae-Jin so I have no doubt that your opinion is skewed.)

Look mate, it seems from your posts you haven't got your argument mixed up.  It seems you really believe Viduka IS NOT a targetman. Fair enough.  My qualm is that your interpretation of what is a "targetman", is very very narrow. 

In my opinion Viduka is often played as a targetman and therefore he can be classified as a targetman.  I know that Viduka has great skills on the ball - more so, than McBride or Ferguson, but my interpretation of a targetman is a big forward who can hold the ball up and players play off.  That doesn't necessarily mean balls hoofed up to them in the air and it certainly doesn't mean that's all they do.  Most targetmen like the ball played to their feet and the truth is, the best targetmen score goals.  Let me put it another way, Patrick Kluivert, Van Nistlerooy and even the great Van Basten can all be classified as targetmen - and they all had great ball skills.  (fact they are all dutch is pure coincidence - off the top of my head..but they all did play in a 4-3-3 formation at some point... :cheesy:)

Now, in relation to Cho - played as a targetman for Korea in the Asian Cup.  If you watched any of the matches you would have noticed Korea played a 4-3-3 formation with Cho in the middle and 2 wingers/forwards.  The whole korean attack basically did 2 things: 1 either play the ball directly to cho (air or feet) and then the midfielders would make runs off him or 2 get the balls to the wings and look for cho in the middle. His role is that of a classic targetman.  Whether he is a good one or a bad one is another issue. 

That's all I'm going to say about "targetmen" for a looooooong time.... unless it's in a military context of course... ;D

So in the 2009 Confederations Cup, in South Africa, we have a 50-50 chance Iraq will play USA in one of the groups...not worth thinking about!

Yes...Mouth watering game :lol: I can't wait...Hopefully the Iraqi will still be strong by then...

Guest black

Let me put it another way, Patrick Kluivert, Van Nistlerooy and even the great Van Basten can all be classified as targetmen - and they all had great ball skills. 

Now I know it seems like I'm just arguing for the sake of it but please, please, please don't tell me that you are trying to classify Van Basten, Pievert and Van Nistlehorse as targetmen, no way!

I think this is where the definition is letting you down, just because a striker is "big" doesn't make them a targetman - actually to be exact a targetman is more about a style of play, the lump it long and hope that the big striker gets the flick/touch on for another team mate. Shearer played this role at the end of his career because his legs had gone and it was successful with Bellamy beside him, the moment he started games without Bellamy beside him he was all but a passenger. Newcastle tried to get Kluivert to play this way but everyone knows that it wasn't a success because he's not a targetman!

As for watching the asian cup, yeah I saw most of it, there isn't much else to watch in Sydney if you're a football fan.

To you I say Jan Koller.

Let me put it another way, Patrick Kluivert, Van Nistlerooy and even the great Van Basten can all be classified as targetmen - and they all had great ball skills. 

Now I know it seems like I'm just arguing for the sake of it but please, please, please don't tell me that you are trying to classify Van Basten, Pievert and Van Nistlehorse as targetmen, no way!

I think this is where the definition is letting you down, just because a striker is "big" doesn't make them a targetman - actually to be exact a targetman is more about a style of play, the lump it long and hope that the big striker gets the flick/touch on for another team mate. Shearer played this role at the end of his career because his legs had gone and it was successful with Bellamy beside him, the moment he started games without Bellamy beside him he was all but a passenger. Newcastle tried to get Kluivert to play this way but everyone knows that it wasn't a success because he's not a targetman!

As for watching the asian cup, yeah I saw most of it, there isn't much else to watch in Sydney if you're a football fan.

To you I say Jan Koller.

Mmm definately, the names mentioned were not target men, I always thought of Nistelrooy as a poacher?

Guest black

Mmm definately, the names mentioned were not target men, I always thought of Nistelrooy as a poacher?

QFT