Sam Targets Glory In Cup

Kev

Guest WalkervilleMag

no chance of getting one if your not a ticket holder, unless you buy it off a tout or something

do you think i could get a ticket to a cup final if we got into it? bear in mind, im from the south of england and not a season ticket holder

Not a cat in hells chance unless you forked out a lot of £££'s

Guest WalkervilleMag

some scandiavian bloke offered me £1000 cash for a ticket outside Wembley v Man United

do you think i could get a ticket to a cup final if we got into it? bear in mind, im from the south of england and not a season ticket holder

Plenty go to corporates so it's possible if you know somebody who is in that circle.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Ask Bobby Charlton,  he might have some spares

Guest Verlaine

Rather see the reserves played in the FA Cup tbh. I love the FA Cup, but we haven't got a cat in hell's chance of getting anywhere near it. Not saying i want us to play weak teams, just that i'd rather it be in the FAC if any.

However, it sounds like Allardyce won't do so in either.

What are you on about?

Guest Verlaine

Rather see the reserves played in the FA Cup tbh. I love the FA Cup, but we haven't got a cat in hell's chance of getting anywhere near it. Not saying i want us to play weak teams, just that i'd rather it be in the FAC if any.

If you look at the finalists over the past 10 or so years, the FA Cup final has involved teams like West Ham, Millwall, Southampton, Aston Villa and us and although none of those teams actually won the trophy, they could have if the big guns were having a bad day (West Ham came so close to winning it).

Fact is, if you're lucky in the draws, you could easily end up at the final.

Top post.

Bollocks is it. Common fucking sense, more like.

Guest SamL

What are you on about?

;D well said

What are you on about?

If Allardyce were to play weak sides in either of the competitions, i'd rather he did it in the FA Cup, as apposed to the Carling Cup. If that makes sense. :D

However, he probably won't do so in either.

What are you on about?

If Allardyce were to play weak sides in either of the competitions, i'd rather he did it in the FA Cup, as apposed to the Carling Cup. If that makes sense. :D

I don't see how the FA Cup is that much more difficult to win tbh.

It's obviously a bit easier as the Big 4 will be fielding weaker teams early on, but in terms of going all the way we've almost just as good a chance in the FA Cup imo.

What are you on about?

It's obviously a bit easier as the Big 4 will be fielding weaker teams early on, but in terms of going all the way we've almost just as good a chance in the FA Cup imo.

Answered your own question.

The top four have the FA Cup sewn up for a long time now, i reckon.

What are you on about?

Answered your own question.

The top four have the FA Cup sewn up for a long time now, i reckon.

Carling Cup has become a lot harder to win these days though, only Arsenal really treat it as completely 2nd rate anymore.

Obviously it's easier to win, but I'd be fucking livid if we put out a weakened team in the FA Cup.

Guest Invicta_Toon

who gives a FUCK about the Carling Cup? seriously, you covet a trophy lauded by the fucking smogs? the carling cup is a pile of steaming dogshit, if you're proud at winning that, fuck off I say

Guest Invicta_Toon

It's not about being proud, it's about setting a realistic target for the season.  Which would also give the club and it's supporters a massive boost and end the drought.

me arse, winning the carling cup but finishing below the boro, I would stab my own eyes out

any cunt that would be happy with that wants euthenasia tbh

It's not about being proud, it's about setting a realistic target for the season.  Which would also give the club and it's supporters a massive boost and end the drought.

me arse, winning the carling cup but finishing below the boro, I would stab my own eyes out

any cunt that would be happy with that wants euthenasia tbh

Who said ANYTHING about finishing below them?  Admittedly, I haven't followed this thread, but it wasn't the point you made.

You know, for once, I actually thought you were going to reply "fair enough", but nah. 

Can see what Vic is saying as it wouldn't seem to indicate we're heading in the right direction if we're finishing below Boro, but the thought of a trophy, even if it is just the Carling Cup, would be too tempting.

Never saw the need for the Carling Cup at all honestly. Teams complain about too many fixtures, get rid of this and you're sorted. Fine to win while it's there though, I suppose.

Have I missed the part where people have said they'd finish below Boro in the league but be happy overall if they won the Carling Cup?

*can't be arsed to read the thread*

Agree with the rest of what you say though, Shak.

I believe one of the main reason's we haven't won a cup in 38 years is because we've never had a great defence.

If you have an absolute b*stard of a defence then you can beat anyone in a one-off knockout game, be it by nicking the only chance that comes your way or taking the game all the way to extra time or penalties. It's the best way for underdogs to lift the trophy, look at Liverpool and Greece in recent years as examples. Liverpool do it in Europe, not by playing silky football (far from it), but by excellent organisation and a mean defence. Greece did the same three years ago to become European Champions. With a defence like that, you level out the playing field and always give yourself a chance against bigger, better teams. Typically, the longer these teams go without scoring the more frustrated they become, the more doubt begins to creep in and the more your own team grows in confidence, because they know and you know you're still in the game and only need a half chance to dump them out. Teams like Chelsea, Juventus and Barcelona have played Liverpool in recent seasons and you could see in the second half the players were beginning to worry when they couldn't find a way through, and as they got more desperate, their passing became sloppy and suddenly the underdogs smell blood and take the initiative. The same happened with Greece's opponents in Euro 2004, as time wore on they began to panic. I feel our best bet is to emulate this if we are to end our trophy dought, build from the back and defend as a team.

Much easier said than done, which is why I feel we need to spend big in defence this summer even if it means no signings elsewhere. Playing a 5-man midfield will probably help too. We've got the right manager for this stubborn defensive approach to knockout games.

i agree in principle- a good defence would mean that we have a greater chance of success. i mean look at chelsea- they score 1 goal and defend for 85 minutes and they were only 6 points off the title. either that or they get a fluke goal out of nowhere i the 92nd minute!!! my point is chelsea play shit football, and still came 2nd- imagine what we could do with a decent defence and decent attackingness.

with a new arranged defence we could actually win a cup

big sams the man  bluelaugh.gif if he says he wants 4 new defenders then they might be the people to help us upto the next level!