Other clubs' transfer deadline day discussion

GeordieDazzler

Guest TyneToPlay

Where are the spuds getting all this cash from? Thats £30m already spent and now SWP and Petrov is another £20m! They are supposed to be getting that Boateng and another Lennon-type kid from Leeds too. Getting very depressed about catching them  >:(

Where are the spuds getting all this cash from? Thats £30m already spent and now SWP and Petrov is another £20m! They are supposed to be getting that Boateng and another Lennon-type kid from Leeds too. Getting very depressed about catching them  >:(

Danny Rose is the left footed Lennon type player from Leeds and he should sign today.  Not being held to ransom on transfer fees (Bent excepted) and a strict salary structure are the keys to having funds available.  The hope is that SWP, Petrov, Boateng and Rose all go ahead plus one other who isn't on the list.

Eveyone got an extra 30M from the TV deal although, I hope that is not the case and they are the new leeds.

The TV money hasn't been touched.  £20m profit was declared in the interim accounts, the annual accounts would have been showing near to £40m.  We're only reinvesting the profit in players to avoid paying tax, we've never been a club to pay dividends either.  Add in the sponsorship deals from Puma and Mansion and Spurs are currently very liquid.

We're nothing like Leeds.   Their salary/turnover ratio was something like 70%, Spurs is around 45%. 

Guest TyneToPlay

Love to see them collapse like Leeds but they have a salary cap don't they? I don't know how they get away with paying em two bob and a packet of crisps.

Got to admit am getting jealous. Saw their new kid Tarabat on Setanta and he looked class. As if they didn't have enough already. Come on Sam get us some!

Still the transfer spending should see 'em in massive debt and have to sell out to a Russian or Asian 'businessman' and all the good players will come to us as Ashley will keep us stable! :lol:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Danny Rose is the left footed Lennon type player from Leeds and he should sign today.  Not being held to ransom on transfer fees (Bent excepted) and a strict salary structure are the keys to having funds available.  The hope is that SWP, Petrov, Boateng and Rose all go ahead plus one other who isn't on the list.

Which Petrov is it?

Love to see them collapse like Leeds but they have a salary cap don't they? I don't know how they get away with paying em two bob and a packet of crisps.

Got to admit am getting jealous. Saw their new kid Tarabat on Setanta and he looked class. As if they didn't have enough already. Come on Sam get us some!

Still the transfer spending should see 'em in massive debt and have to sell out to a Russian or Asian 'businessman' and all the good players will come to us as Ashley will keep us stable!  :lol:

For a maximum of £2.75m, he's going to be a bargain buy.  Comolli is beginning to do for Spurs what he did for Arsenal for far too long.

Guest TyneToPlay

Think its Martin Petrov - the old winger with the dodgy knees that noone else wants :lol:

We do need to take a leaf out of Jols book tho. As well as buying established players like Bent and SWP they have lots of top teenagers are sneaking in there like Lennon, Kaboul, Bale, Rose, Tarabat and some Spanish kid as well. We need to buy in a few really good 16/17 year old prospects and bring em thru before they become incredibly expensive. relying on homegrowns isn't enough.

Which Petrov is it?

Martin.  I know Man City are now chasing him but he and Berbatov are best mates, if there is a choice of the two, Petrov will opt for Spurs, Berbatov has already said that.  The 2 problems are that Petrov has only played a handful of games since coming back from an ACL and the other is Levy only wants to pay around £3.5m!  Ath Madrid are looking for £8m.

Think its Martin Petrov - the old winger with the dodgy knees that noone else wants :lol:

We do need to take a leaf out of Jols book tho. As well as buying established players like Bent and SWP they have lots of top teenagers are sneaking in there like Lennon, Kaboul, Bale, Rose, Tarabat and some Spanish kid as well. We need to buy in a few really good 16/17 year old prospects and bring em thru before they become incredibly expensive. relying on homegrowns isn't enough.

Nothing to do with Jol, all to do with Comolli.  A lot of Spurs fans have been dubious about DoF's after Pleat's efforts but Comolli is now showing what can happen when the job is done properly.  Yuri Berchiche is the Spanish kid, we also signed Dean Parrett from QPR and Terry Dixon and Dorian Dervite are recovering from long term injury.  Not all will make it obviously but the future is looking brighter at any time in the past 20 years.  Maybe the most satisfying aspect is we are signing most of these players in spite of interest from clubs a lot bigger than Spurs.  If it is being accepted that Spurs is a good place to go to nurture talent, it should make the job of signing more in the future easier.

Guest TyneToPlay

Ahh so there are clubs bigger than the spuds then? :lol:

Is that Comoli the scout from Arsenal? So this French/Spanish kids policy is the one that they've been working for the last few years? Well it hasn't hurt them. Would definately like to see a few of these kids coming to Gallowgate.

MJ, are you interested in football at all? seems you only enjoy transfer window talk, ITK bullshit and Comolli arselicking.. posting like Spurs are the new Real Madrid or something..you make me sick

MJ, are you interested in football at all? seems you only enjoy transfer window talk, ITK bullshit and Comolli arselicking.. posting like Spurs are the new Real Madrid or something..you make me sick

As the new season hasn't started, the transfer window is open, there's a thread about transfer talk, doesn't seem majorly surprising I post here.  When there are threads that appeal I contribute, as I have done for the past 2 years.

Guest TyneToPlay

Its useful to get some knowledge on the spuds as they are a team we should be targeting. We have to be looking for a top 7 finish or top 6 to be sure of Europe, even if its the Intertoto. We aren't going to get near Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea but I think we should look to be pushing Spuds and Arsenal, so we are in there even if we fall short.

Its useful to get some knowledge on the spuds as they are a team we should be targeting. We have to be looking for a top 7 finish or top 6 to be sure of Europe, even if its the Intertoto. We aren't going to get near Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea  but I think we should look to be pushing Spuds and Arsenal.

Spot on user name btw.  :thup:

Guest brewer

Its useful to get some knowledge on the spuds as they are a team we should be targeting. We have to be looking for a top 7 finish or top 6 to be sure of Europe, even if its the Intertoto. We aren't going to get near Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea  but I think we should look to be pushing Spuds and Arsenal, so we are in there even if we fall short.

Liverpool and Arsenal finished on the same points last season, why get close to Arsenal and not Liverpool?

Liverpool didnt bother playing in the last 2 months of the season and Arsenal only just finished on the same points, Liverpool have strengthened while Arsenal have sold their best player and replaced him with an unknown.

Arsenal are going backwards.

Eveyone got an extra 30M from the TV deal although, I hope that is not the case and they are the new leeds.

The TV money hasn't been touched.  £20m profit was declared in the interim accounts, the annual accounts would have been showing near to £40m.  We're only reinvesting the profit in players to avoid paying tax, we've never been a club to pay dividends either.  Add in the sponsorship deals from Puma and Mansion and Spurs are currently very liquid.

We're nothing like Leeds.   Their salary/turnover ratio was something like 70%, Spurs is around 45%. 

There's so much wrong with that statement!

(1) Buying players is a 'capital' invstment and as such will nt impact on this years profits

(2) Most (if not all) of the players have been bought after Spuds year end - so even if (1) wasn't true they would have no impact on tax

(3) The comment suggests that Spurs are willing to spend money anywhere to avoid tax, rubbish

(4) I'll give him the Puma/Mansion money bit though

Guest brewer

They were struggling to get in the champions league spots at one point, i'm sure that got them playing.

Struggling because Liverpool hadnt stopped playing as Arsenal had and were pulling away from them?

Guest TyneToPlay

I know wasn't much between Arsenal and Liverpool but I just have a feeling the Spuds and Arsenal are more fragile and within our reach than the other big three. TBH I'm not sure we are close to any of the top five yet, (mainly in defense) but it can't be bad if we target those two, and even if we fall short we can get a European place.

As for the Spuds spending, I really, really hope they do a Leeds but sadly i suspect Levy is too shrewd for that. He has a salary cap going there which is why we normally can pinch their signings but its more difficult when we aren't in Europe.

Its useful to get some knowledge on the spuds as they are a team we should be targeting. We have to be looking for a top 7 finish or top 6 to be sure of Europe, even if its the Intertoto. We aren't going to get near Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea  but I think we should look to be pushing Spuds and Arsenal, so we are in there even if we fall short.

Liverpool and Arsenal finished on the same points last season, why get close to Arsenal and not Liverpool?

Have a look at this summer's transfer dealings so far. I think it's a fairly good logical step to make to assume we'll have a better chance of catching Arsenal than Liverpool next year. Personally I don't think we'll push either, but that's beside the point.

quote author=Scott Parker's 60's Haircut link=topic=42441.msg920559#msg920559 date=1184676600]

We're nothing like Leeds.  Their salary/turnover ratio was something like 70%, Spurs is around 45%. 

There's so much wrong with that statement!

(1) Buying players is a 'capital' invstment and as such will nt impact on this years profits

(2) Most (if not all) of the players have been bought after Spuds year end - so even if (1) wasn't true they would have no impact on tax

(3) The comment suggests that Spurs are willing to spend money anywhere to avoid tax, rubbish

(4) I'll give him the Puma/Mansion money bit though

I effectively repeated comments made elsewhere, so apologies for any inaccuracies.  The general thrust of the comments is that Spurs have been very profitable in the past year and Levy, unlike previous profitable years, has elected to spend far more than previously.  The feeling was that there was a tax benefit, but if not, maybe he thinks this is our best opportunity to join the big 4.