NUFC not the subject of the police raids - Statement

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest Sam S

Actually Laurent Robert was transferred from Newcastle to Portsmouth and I think his agent is the same as the agent involved in the Faye / Boumsong deals.

Also to add a whiff the fee was never confirmed and there was no mention of that transfer in the Stevens report....

Indeed it did, like David Murray was quoted as saying, 'Graeme has continued to help Rangers since he left by buying players.'

but it was one of the 16 mentioned in the Stevens report, it's the undiclosed one that the Independent is implying is part of this investigation.

IIRC there were issues with Newcastle's transfers of Emre, Luque, Faye and Boumsong.

Emre and Luque deals weren't flagged as being 'wrong' per se, rather that the investigation hadn't been able to speak to the agents (as confirmed by Emre's agent later) and therefore they couldn't be given the ok

Getting back off topic, Shepherd has no say in anything which happens at the club, he's not even in a position to ask somebody to fill the bog roll holders up.  Fact.

Guest Sam S

Indeed it did, like David Murray was quoted as saying, 'Graeme has continued to help Rangers since he left by buying players.'

but it was one of the 16 mentioned in the Stevens report, it's the undiclosed one that the Independent is implying is part of this investigation.

IIRC there were issues with Newcastle's transfers of Emre, Luque, Faye and Boumsong.

Emre and Luque deals weren't flagged as being 'wrong' per se, rather that the investigation hadn't been able to speak to the agents (as confirmed by Emre's agent later) and therefore they couldn't be given the ok

True, both those deals involve separate agents too, unless the agent under investigation was acting on behalf of the toon.

As the quotes state (not sure they are facts yet, it could just be journo speculation) though 2 transfers are under investigation. 

My guess would be that they are:

Boumsong (pretty obvious why really)

and

Robert

Getting back off topic, Shepherd has no say in anything which happens at the club, he's not even in a position to ask somebody to fill the bog roll holders up.  Fact.

with an arse that size Shep could be in trouble then. No wonder he's fast-tracking for the exit.

Guest Guinness

In the Chronicle tonight Willie McKay and Shepherd both have statements denying that they were involved in the raids yesterday.

So it seems as if it could indeed be to do with this "mystery transfer". Can't really think of any other links between the clubs other than what's been highlighted and if Willie McKay isn't involved that surely rules out the Boumsong and Faye transfers if they are as the Telegraph say investigating a well known agent?

Proof?

I guess if Shepherd isn't involved anymore it explains why we've been slow at board level and missed out on putting offers in for transfers the manager wanted. It must simply be due to the incompetence of the new owner and his lackeys. >:(

Wouldn't you agree? 

Has anyone mentioned Paul Stretford and his connections to Newcastle yet?

"Proactive was one of the first player representation agencies to be listed on the alternative investment market (Aim). It has had scores of football managers and players among its shareholders, and some of its deals have raised eyebrows because of the potential for conflict of interest.

Mr Stretford has strong links with Newcastle United. Kenneth Shepherd, the son of the chairman, Freddy Shepherd, is Formation's head of business development. Four of the club's last five managers, Graeme Souness, Sir Bobby Robson, Kevin Keegan and Mr Dalglish, have held equity in the company. "

Vic has been right about FS uptill now which must be gauling his usual detractors.

Thank You.

I must have missed the bit where Shepherd launched a counter bid and stopped the takeover from happening :razz:

but you have missed the bit where I said shepherd woulc be involved in a future ashley set-up. something I do believe stopped him making a counter bid. Or are you that naive that given the nature of all the other recent take-overs there was absolutely no-one willing to back shepherd against ashley?

I think that no one in their right mind would have backed Shepherd under the circumstances and I don't see how the promise of being chairman in name only (which is what he is imo) would have stopped him launching a counter-bid. Shepherd didn't have the financial clout or the connections to do anything about it once the Halls sold up. And he's a goner anyway, as time will tell, I think.

name only? what was he doing in Barcelona then?

When?

Guest Sam S

Wasn't Robert basically loaned out for the final year of his contract by Souness?

Yes, which is why we had the power to fine him over his articles in the Sun.

That is true, nufc.com have the transfer down as TBC but it was reported at the time as a loan deal and the fining of him does back that up.

Maybe it weren't Robert that was the unspecified deal in the Stevens enquiry?

Guest Invicta_Toon

the chairman can't tell the cleaners what to do? riiight

No, you're wrong, I've no reason to have a soft spot for anybody. I just find it amusing that people make things up to discredit Shepherd - and Hall for that matter - in the same way that they allow their dislike of Craig Bellamy to influence their opinion that we were better off without him. They didn't think that when he was here. They didn't dislike Shepherd either when we were in the Champions League and I bet they didn't give their FA Cup Final tickets away either.

Fickle. To put it bluntly. They wouldn't know true mediocrity - or a really s*** board - if it hit them in the face with a rusty shovel.

FYI Bellamy was got rid of by Souness (Manager) and Shearer (Captain) under Shepherd (Chairman). Only a fat-headed pig could attribute this to 'fickle fans' while failing to call Shepherd to account for sacking SBH for finishing 5th.

FYI I'm quite aware who was behind the departure of Bellamy. I suggest you learn to read properly, then come back and understand I am referring to fickle supporters who turned against a player who gave everything for the club, after supporting him when he was here and playing a major part in us shooting up the league from a mid table place into the top 4, simply because he was sold on the wishes of a pig headed manager, that they mysteriously backed with this sale.

I just find it amusing that people make things up to discredit Shepherd 

I've trimmed that right down to focus on that one bolded statement.

I'm not so sure anyone makes anything up, at least not consciously. Earlier today ChezGiven pointed out something to me regarding business decisions that made me think...

..or more correctly made me realise something.

None of us are privvy to all the facts and yet we are all constantly forming opinions and making judgements on them. In my case I had got caught up in all the rhetoric directed against Shepherd and somewhere along the line decided he was a scumbag. That was an emotional decision that I was barely conscious of.. no, I wasn't conscious of it for I cannot find in my memory when that decision would have been reached.

That emotional decision, totally without basis in fact, led me to view someone in a constantly negative way. It is a rather easy step after that to believe anything you read, negatively, in connection with that person as you want to believe it. It supports your preconceptions.

So, a bit like Chinese Whispers, a comment here, a comment there, repeated with a word missing, or from a different perception can quickly become a fallacious rumour that others repeat as fact. So for instance, I never made anything up, nor in all likliehood did anyone else, consciously. They just went along with their preconceptions.

It may be true, in actual fact, that Shepherd is a scumbag . But I have no real basis for that opinion other than one I created myself.

I'm sorry, but I've lost count of the people who have said things like Fred "may", of Fred "may not" blah blah, every time to discredit Shepherd.

It probably runs into hundreds, and I can't be bothered to labour the point.

He may be a "scumbag", and equally he may not, but I don't give a toss either way, so long as he backed his managers and our top players were happy to stay at the club, which was not the case when we had shite directors.

BTW.....see the 2 bold bits ie "never made anything up" and "went with their preconceptions", Care to explain the difference ? And thanks for admitting what I said to be true.

Guest Gemmill

This thread is like NE5's greatest hits album. :lol:

"This 21 page compilation includes all of his greatest hits, timeless classics such as........"Bellamy wronged by Souness", "Freddy Shepherd always backs his managers", and who can forget the haunting "You've never experienced a bad board".  This collection is not available in stores.  To reserve your copy call us on 0845 DEJA VU"

No, you're wrong, I've no reason to have a soft spot for anybody. I just find it amusing that people make things up to discredit Shepherd - and Hall for that matter - in the same way that they allow their dislike of Craig Bellamy to influence their opinion that we were better off without him. They didn't think that when he was here. They didn't dislike Shepherd either when we were in the Champions League and I bet they didn't give their FA Cup Final tickets away either.

Fickle. To put it bluntly. They wouldn't know true mediocrity - or a really s*** board - if it hit them in the face with a rusty shovel.

FYI Bellamy was got rid of by Souness (Manager) and Shearer (Captain) under Shepherd (Chairman). Only a fat-headed pig could attribute this to 'fickle fans' while failing to call Shepherd to account for sacking SBH for finishing 5th.

FYI I'm quite aware who was behind the departure of Bellamy. I suggest you learn to read properly, then come back and understand I am referring to fickle supporters who turned against a player who gave everything for the club, after supporting him when he was here and playing a major part in us shooting up the league from a mid table place into the top 4, simply because he was sold on the wishes of a pig headed manager, that they mysteriously backed with this sale.

I'm not sure i see the relevance of the fans opinions tbh.

I wasn't happy about Bellamy leaving, less happy that the Chairman thought Souness was of more value to the club than Bellamy. If other fans thought otherwise so what? What influence does that have over what happened? None. Therefore what relevance is it? None, shirley?!?

The club was in an unfortunate situation of making several bad decisions back to back. No one wanted NUFC to go through a bad patch, least of all Souness i'm sure.

Proof?

I guess if Shepherd isn't involved anymore it explains why we've been slow at board level and missed out on putting offers in for transfers the manager wanted. It must simply be due to the incompetence of the new owner and his lackeys. >:(

Wouldn't you agree?   

mackems.gif

Proof?

Wouldn't you agree?  

I was thinking exactly that about the slow signings, by this time last year we had signed (scratches head, whistles a little, slowly drinks coffee, scratches head again and gives up trying) nobody.

Proof?

Wouldn't you agree?  

I was thinking exactly that about the slow signings, by this time last year we had signed (scratches head, whistles a little, slowly drinks coffee, scratches head again and gives up trying) nobody.

and the year before ?

I suppose, now that success is nailed on due to Fred being completely responsible for us not qualifying even for the Champions League like all those other clubs with incompetent chairmen - you will be looking forward to explaining the lack of it if such a thing happens ?

mackems.gif

and the year before ?

I suppose, now that success is nailed on due to Fred being completely responsible for us not qualifying even for the Champions League like all those other clubs with incompetent chairmen - you will be looking forward to explaining the lack of it if such a thing happens ?

mackems.gif

:D

The year before we'd signed 2 players by this time, possibly 3 as I'm not 100% sure when Krul signed other than it was about this time.

How many years do you want to go back in an attempt to try and prove something?

Proof?

Wouldn't you agree?  

and the year before ?

mackems.gif

You sound like you want the club to fail.

Proof?

Wouldn't you agree?  

and the year before ?

mackems.gif

Anything rather than admitting he was ever wrong.

He probably doesn't but I can't imagine how many threads will be bumped if we do.  All of us bastards that wanted change will all be proven wrong.  :weep: