Allardyce rules out Curtis Davies move

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Newcastle are in talks for West Brom defender Curtis Davies, but their £6m offer is still £2m short of the Baggies' valuation. (Daily Mail)

Premiership experience?

West Bromwich do they think that he's Nesta or what? Overpriced because he's english. I would certainly not pay more than £6M for him. But if there was a bid for him around 6m. How long can they play hard and refuse to accept the offer on the table. Well an unhappy player for West Brom will certainly not help them.

Guest WalkervilleMag

£6 million and add-ons would probably get him,  but is it just me, but every time i have seen him play he has looked distincly average ?

Guest WalkervilleMag

but every time i have seen him play he has looked distincly average ?

Ditto.  I don't understand all this fuss over him. 

8 million for him?  Robbing bastards.

if he's worth 8mil  what Taylor worth ?

Guest DazzaNufc1892

i myself am unsure, however, look at sams track record of picking up under rated defenders and making them into an extremely solid unit. I mean, bruno N'Gotty was made to look class at times

Guest sicko2ndbest

For next season i would be happy with Taylor, Davies and Hangeland with one more experienced centre half (Campbell or Hyypia). Those 4 players will have cost in the region of 12-13 million. If Hangeland or Davies do not work out they will still be able to command a decent transfer fee so i think it is worth the outlay

For next season i would be happy with Taylor, Davies and Hangeland with one more experienced centre half (Campbell or Hyypia). Those 4 players will have cost in the region of 12-13 million. If Hangeland or Davies do not work out they will still be able to command a decent transfer fee so i think it is worth the outlay

Ain't you forgetting Rozza?

Guest WalkervilleMag

Just got to hope he develops as prone to the odd howler and still very raw. However we need cover at the back and he might surprise us all.

Same was said of Bramble when we bought him.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ain't you forgetting Rozza?

My bad  :blush:

I meant to say whoever we get Hangeland/Davies and indeed 'Rozza' will still command a decent fee

Davies/Hangeland.......Taylor..........Rozza.............Experienced CH

Guest WalkervilleMag

Scandanavians are the best defenders to go for over here. The majority always seem to settle very quickly.     

Just got to hope he develops as prone to the odd howler and still very raw. However we need cover at the back and he might surprise us all.

At the actual time we bought Bramble, not so much was made of the "odd howlers" thing, as he hadn't shown so much of that tendency (as he grew to here!) and he was young and developing.

The difference this time is though (and I am clinging to this) is that it is ALLARDYCE making the judgement call (and in charge of the training when/if he comes here).

Guest WalkervilleMag

At the actual time we bought Bramble, not so much was made of the "odd howlers" thing, as he hadn't shown so much of that tendency (as he grew to here!) and he was young and developing.

The difference this time is though (and I am clinging to this) is that it is ALLARDYCE making the judgement call (and in charge of the training when/if he comes here).

You talking about an ex England manager, who also managed teams like Barca and PSV, making the call on Bramble  and doing the training.

West Bromwich do they think that he's Nesta or what? Overpriced because he's english. I would certainly not pay more than £6M for him. But if there was a bid for him around 6m. How long can they play hard and refuse to accept the offer on the table. Well an unhappy player for West Brom will certainly not help them.

They did the same with Jason Koumas, apparently they have plenty money and will happily wait until they get the fee they want. Ended up getting 5.3m out of Wigan for him. Didn't seem bothered that the player didnt want to play for them.

I would be happy for curtis to come, because at the minute we don't have that much of a choice!

Heinze must have been the guy to turn us down, and who can blame him, were a bog standard team still until we prove it next season, and maybe next year we can attract a better standard of player!

Lets just get solid cheapies until then.

You talking about an ex England manager, who also managed teams like Barca and PSV, making the call on Bramble  and doing the training.

Yeah, I know, I was (am) a big big fan of Bobby  -  but what I see in Allardyce (and I hope I am right) is a genuine affinity with 'defenders' and the defensive side of the game. I am not saying he does not like attacking players, he just seems to have more of an affinity than most, with the "art" of defending. That makes him better than Bobby for this, I think.

Guest optimistic nit

I'm just glad to hear we're in talks for a central defender....

Me Too...

i wouldn't equit 'the daily mail says' to 'were in talks'.