Allardyce rules out Curtis Davies move

Guest sicko2ndbest

.COM saying there could be something in this one......

The imminent transfer of Luton Town defender Leon Barnett to West Bromwich Albion has been interpreted in some quarters as the first step to the departure of unsettled centre back Curtis Davies  from the Hawthorns.

Newcastle have been consistently linked with the 22 year-old, who has relinquished the captain's armband after seeing a transfer request rejected by the Baggies.

Interest in the defender first came to light during Glenn Roeder's stint at the helm, but the toon connection with Nigel Pearson remains - the current Magpies coach having worked with Davies at Albion as both assistant to Bryan Robson and in his own right as caretaker boss.

With Steven Taylor, Davies and Pearson also share an England U21 connection.

No confirmation has yet emerged as to who the mystery defender was who turned down a move to Tyneside last week - but it's claimed that he was from a Premiership club, which would exclude Championship player Davies.

For no apparent reason we'll add in the useless information that:

1. Davies was red-carded for the first time last season after two foul challenges on a certain Mark Viduka, then with the smoggies.

2. He hasn't played a competitive game since breaking the fifth metatarsal in his foot last March - the same injury Joey Barton sustained last Saturday.

PS: Another revived transfer link is that of FC Copenhagen stopper Brede Hangeland, with the Norwegian rag VG running a story on Tuesday apparently confirming our interest.

Quotes then surfaced from his Mister 15% naming Newcastle as one of a number of clubs sniffing round the 26 year-old who is under contract to the Danes for another two years.

They also said the Deco deal was done :thup:

They didn't, like.

They did, like. Under the heading "Incoming #5".

The difference that a . rather than a ? makes to a story!

They didnt say it was done at all.

They said their sources told them the deal had been agreed and he was set to fly in for a medical.

Who really gives a shit, anyway, in all honesty? I don't.

Personally i think Davies is very overated, and I think we need an older experienced centre half to guide and teach Taylor. With Baines obviously available does anyone else get the feeling Big Sam just isnt interested?

I agree. I would have Sol Campbell and Bredeland. The effect on the other CBs would be beneficial.

Very good player, made a few mistakes in his time but then who hasn't? Absolutely nothing like Bramble although its easy to see why some are shortsighted enough to compare the two.

Guest Moe-Ali

I'd take davies, and 8m isnt that bad if you consider what players are going for nowadays.

The thing is he's been injured for a long time now, hasnt played competitive football since march.

It would be rolling the dice, young..recently injured..questionable price tag.

I'm not sure i want to get excited by any of this, i will just wait for the articles that look like 'Magpies agree to terms with ....'

For next season i would be happy with Taylor, Davies and Hangeland with one more experienced centre half (Campbell or Hyypia). Those 4 players will have cost in the region of 12-13 million. If Hangeland or Davies do not work out they will still be able to command a decent transfer fee so i think it is worth the outlay

Ain't you forgetting Rozza?

My bad  :blush:

I meant to say whoever we get Hangeland/Davies and indeed 'Rozza' will still command a decent fee

Davies/Hangeland.......Taylor..........Rozza.............Experienced CH

Hangeland can neither play leftback, nor rightback!

Hopefully there is some truth in this, Davies has a lot of potential.

Would rather have someone proven over someone with 'potential' tbh........We've bought loads of players with potential over the years and few have worked out well

I have to agree with this. We already have, in Taylor and Rozenhal, two defenders that might be potential stars of the future. We need a solid, ready-made PL defender.

Guest TyneToPlay

I thought we were looking for experienced PL defenders?! Suddnely we are bottom fishing. FFS lets get Sol Campbell in.

Actually I do think Davies will be a good player and I'll be happy to have him in the squad too. I don't think he is the answer to our problems though.

I thought we were looking for experienced PL defenders?! Suddnely we are bottom fishing. FFS lets get Sol Campbell in.

Actually I do think Davies will be a good player and I'll be happy to have him in the squad too. I don't think he is the answer to our problems though.

No he's not, but we've left it too late to be picky. Davies in years to come will be a star, alongside Taylor in 5 years time we've got the best English defensive pairing.

About fuking time.

We cant attract top players plike Heinze, were fuking struggling to pull in average foreign talent like Beye, so we need to go for the likes of Baines, Davies & Shorey, even if it means paying a little extra.

So what if we paid £8m for him? We paid £5m for Bramble how many years ago? The market is more inflated than ever and Davies is a massive class above Bramble, you could even say the same for Boumsong, and unlike them two fuks, Davies will hold that price tag, and it will eventually grow. Same goes for Baines, at £6m he's a great signing for the club.

I'm sure we thought Bramble would hold his price and eventually grow when we bought him.

He's not the experienced defender I was hoping for.

We only have Taylor and Rozehnal at the minute though, so we need to more centre backs. One very experienced one and another younger one would be good.

I still think we will go in for Hyypia once Liverpool get the defender they want who is likely to be Heinze. Curtis Davies and Hyypia to add to Taylor and Rozehnal would be very healthy.

About fuking time.

We cant attract top players plike Heinze, were fuking struggling to pull in average foreign talent like Beye, so we need to go for the likes of Baines, Davies & Shorey, even if it means paying a little extra.

So what if we paid £8m for him? We paid £5m for Bramble how many years ago? The market is more inflated than ever and Davies is a massive class above Bramble, you could even say the same for Boumsong, and unlike them two fuks, Davies will hold that price tag, and it will eventually grow. Same goes for Baines, at £6m he's a great signing for the club.

I'm sure we thought Bramble would hold his price and eventually grow when we bought him.

Did we?

We thought he could possibly be a star but suffered humiliation a fair few times in his Ipswich career to suggest there were problems there. Also SBR was about the only man in the Country rating him at £5m. Wenger is a keen admirer of Davies, and he isn't even French, says it all.

Guest Sheriff John Bunnell (Ret

Just remembered Roeder turned Campbell down last season!! WTF??!! We could def use someone of his quality and experience.... I'd have him here in a flash....

Davies would be a decent signing too but 5-6mil max.... 8mil is ridiculous!!

£5m for Chropa, or £17m for Bent is ridiculous, i think £8m is over-priced, but not by much for a highly rated young English footballer after the hike in TV money.

About fuking time.

Did we?

We thought he could possibly be a star but suffered humiliation a fair few times in his Ipswich career to suggest there were problems there. Also SBR was about the only man in the Country rating him at £5m. Wenger is a keen admirer of Davies, and he isn't even French, says it all.

Well if we pay £8 million for him then it's fair to say Allardyce is the only one rating him at that price, he's not a bad player but he's not worth anywhere near the price being mentioned and he'll have to do something spectacular for that value to rise, I watched him play next to Taylor in an England u21 game last season and he was all over the place, Taylor had to bail him out more than once.

As for Wenger rating him, he rated Jenas as well but wouldn't go near him for the fee mentioned.

£5m for Chropa, or £17m for Bent is ridiculous, i think £8m is over-priced, but not by much for a highly rated young English footballer after the hike in TV money.

True - lets say over priced then :D

British player tax ... for other examples see Darren Bent, Andy Johnson, David Nugent, Michael Chopra etc etc etc

I actually think we will be getting off lightly paying £8 million as West Brom turned down a £10 million offer from Portsmouth just after they were relegated I believe.

About fuking time.

Did we?

Well if we pay £8 million for him then it's fair to say Allardyce is the only one rating him at that price, he's not a bad player but he's not worth anywhere near the price being mentioned and he'll have to do something spectacular for that value to rise, I watched him play next to Taylor in an England u21 game last season and he was all over the place, Taylor had to bail him out more than once.

As for Wenger rating him, he rated Jenas as well but wouldn't go near him for the fee mentioned.

What's £2m in the current climate though? £6m he's worth it, £8m he's not?

Will that matter in a couple of seasons? It cost us twice that amount to sack our last two managers, 3 times to get rid of Souness, GR, FS & SBR.

£9.5m on Luque, £17m on Owen, £8m on Boumsong and were bothered about £2m more than what Davies is probably worth.

I can't see the logic in it myself, there is a talent there, one U21 game where he was all over the place doesn't make a player, or is that it for Davies now, utter shite and he should retire before embarrassing himself any further?

Really is looking like 3-5-2 isn't it.

If we keep Martins I think it will be a 4-3-3 because I think Sam will want both Martins and Owen on the pitch playing off Viduka.