Allardyce rules out Curtis Davies move

Guest sicko2ndbest

Got to remember that strikers generally cost a lot more than defenders. Bent, Chopra and Nugent are all strikers, and Bent has plenty of Premiership experience.

£8m for a Championship defender with no Premiership experience is a lot of money.

He has a fully season's worth of it iirc.

2 seasons iirc.

Got to remember that strikers generally cost a lot more than defenders. Bent, Chopra and Nugent are all strikers, and Bent has plenty of Premiership experience.

£8m for a Championship defender with no Premiership experience is a lot of money.

He has a fully season's worth of it iirc.

2 seasons iirc.

One.

04/05 he plyed for Luton, then in WBA second season they paid £3m for him, and went down.

My mistake. I have no idea about his ability, but it still seems a high price for a young English defender who doesn't seem to be attracting that much real interest. Has anyone in the Premiership made a serious move for him yet this summer?

My mistake. I have no idea about his ability, but it still seems a high price for a young English defender who doesn't seem to be attracting that much real interest. Has anyone in the Premiership made a serious move for him yet this summer?

No but he's been injured for a couple of months and WBA were talking £10m which has put people off.

Who needs a CB for that much apart from us?

My mistake.  I have no idea about his ability, but it still seems a high price for a young English defender who doesn't seem to be attracting that much real interest. Has anyone in the Premiership made a serious move for him yet this summer?

Then why did you comment?

That French centre back spurs signed cost about £8.2m didn't he? No-one seems to have batted an eyelid over that though.

Anyone think that clubs are waiting to see what happens with Heinze before anyone moves? If he does move, it will mean a shuffle of the pack. If we are linked in somehow that could be holding us up?

It would explain the recent hold-up. If Liverpool did get Heinze (looks unlikely) then they would have Heinze, Aurelio and Riise. Although Riise can also play left wing, it's likely he would not be a first team player so perhaps we have our eyes on him? Seems unlikely, but we've been a little too quiet recently.

That French centre back spurs signed cost about £8.2m didn't he? No-one seems to have batted an eyelid over that though.

Because he's rated as the best young defender in French football?

Or that he was followed closely by Chelsea, Lyon and Juventus?

Maybe even because they have an excellent DOF in Comolli who has a track record of spotting young talent?

Anyone think that clubs are waiting to see what happens with Heinze before anyone moves? If he does move, it will mean a shuffle of the pack. If we are linked in somehow that could be holding us up?

It would explain the recent hold-up. If Liverpool did get Heinze (looks unlikely) then they would have Heinze, Aurelio and Riise. Although Riise can also play left wing, it's likely he would not be a first team player so perhaps we have our eyes on him? Seems unlikely, but we've been a little too quiet recently.

I've always imagined sometimes its a bit like house-buying and chains. We may be nowhere near having a sniff of the better players but a move like Heinze's is bound to have a significant knock on effect. I wouldnt be too disappointed if we ended up with Riise or Hyppia, neither are long term buys.

Maybe even because they have an excellent DOF in Comolli who has a track record of spotting young talent?

I bet you would have wet your pants (in the bad way) if he had signed for us for that figure.

I dont think we need to be signing players like that here at the moment though, might be right for Spurs, but we need a solid unit and some experience at the back.

Whilst having lots of big clubs tracking you means little (Gooch, Lucas Neill) your right with the Comolli statement.

I just dont think youth is the route we should be taking over the next few years at least..

I bet you would have wet your pants (in the bad way) if he had signed for us for that figure.

I dont think we need to be signing players like that here at the moment though, might be right for Spurs, but we need a solid unit and some experience at the back.

Whilst having lots of big clubs tracking you means little (Gooch, Lucas Neill) your right with the Comolli statement.

I just dont think youth is the route we should be taking over the next few years at least..

Leeds looked good when they had Woodgate and Ferdinand as their CB pairing. Both young at the time. Good enough, old enough imo.

I don't think I'd of been wetting my pants, I've never seen him play so I'd be optimistic but wary about what we were going to get out of him, similar to how I feel about Rozenhal.

Curtis has two years premiership experience while the baggies where in the league.

Curtis has two years premiership experience while the baggies where in the league.

One

Wary is a better reflection. We have become too used to big money "highly rated" players coming here and flopping.

I think the buying young can only work if you have coaching staff capable of taking them to the next level and on the whole have experience with coaching youth, its too easy for the younger players to get lost in the senior squad.

I dont think buying young says much for the academy, and certainly doesnt send out the right messages to the players in it or players attracted to it.

Too much potential doesnt work IMO, you need the right mix of potential and experience.

I think we are just about right as we are. We have plenty coming through, I think we are limited on who they can learn from though.

Guest Knightrider

Baggio, you are the unhappiest man in the world at the minute.  No one that we sign or are linked with is good enough.  What's going on?

We've all had our wishes come true this summer one way or another, Freddy out, mega rich billionaire in, Roeder sacked, Bramble out, Owen staying, Luque staying... yet no sign of a DOF for Baggio. I'd be miffed tbh.

Seriously, I agree with him regarding Davies. From what I've seen of him (not much mind) he's average at best, and very shaky. Taylor is twice the player he is in every department but passing.

Anyway it seems to me many would like to see Davies here because he's a defender and I question how many have actually seen the lad play a good number of games. Well if you give me two choices, sign Davies or no-one, I'd take the latter thankyou as that kind of panic buying and buying for buying sake has cost us dearly in the past.

Guest khyberpass

Been to watch the baggies a few times seeing as i married a midland lass and her brothers are all baggies fans....

I DON'T think Davies is a patch on Taylor, OR Edgar for that matter!

Would rather see us signing a Hyppia, Heinze, Campbell or Riise!

Would also rather see us sign 4 Scandanavian big buggers for £2M a piece than Davies for 6-8M...

Davies had a lot of Bramblisms that weren't punished in Championship...would get slaughtered in Premier.....

Lescott was the best young un in the Championship and we chose NOT to sign him when we had the chance...he's been top notch for Z Cars...

Wary is a better reflection. We have become too used to big money "highly rated" players coming here and flopping.

I think the buying young can only work if you have coaching staff capable of taking them to the next level and on the whole have experience with coaching youth, its too easy for the younger players to get lost in the senior squad.

I dont think buying young says much for the academy, and certainly doesnt send out the right messages to the players in it or players attracted to it.

Too much potential doesnt work IMO, you need the right mix of potential and experience.

I think we are just about right as we are. We have plenty coming through, I think we are limited on who they can learn from though.

I totally agree on the need someone to learn off, Sol Campbell & Davies should be coming in, that would be ideal. However the academy is not producing, that should signal that there is a lack of talent more than anything, players who have it are going to get close to the EPL with us. Steven Taylor shows what happens when it does, the fact Ramage has got further in his NUFC career than he should of and the debuts of Edgar & Huntington show that we do give our chances. Thats just the defenders. You can go back as far as Ameobi or even Harper to show you can make a good career at being at our club, and youngsters such as Pattison & O'Brien move on with some 1st team experience and a decent education while the more talented Lua Lua & Carroll will be given the time and effort into making them as good as possible.

Just got to hope he develops as prone to the odd howler and still very raw. However we need cover at the back and he might surprise us all.

Same was said of Bramble when we bought him.

true, but not every young defender turns out like Bramble. 

Been to watch the baggies a few times seeing as i married a midland lass and her brothers are all baggies fans....

Would also rather see us sign 4 Scandanavian big buggers for £2M a piece than Davies for 6-8M...

Davies had a lot of Bramblisms that weren't punished in Championship...would get slaughtered in Premier.....

Lescott was the best young un in the Championship and we chose NOT to sign him when we had the chance...he's been top notch for Z Cars...

:jesuswept:

:jesuswept:

All credibility lost ... what a statement.

Not a patch on Edgar?