Allardyce rules out Curtis Davies move

Guest sicko2ndbest

He was talking about bringing in 4 defenders so I can't see him only wanting one CB tbh.

Now that seems 3-4, could quite easily be two full backs and a centre back. Was just a though anyway as I cant see him wanting 5 centre backs here (6 if you include Ramage, 8 if you include Edgar and Hunts).

Ramage I'm afraid appears to suffer from the Bramble disease ... for which there is no cure.

He's much worse than Bramble.

Aye, at least Bramble looked like a good defender now and again, Ramage isn't even Premiership quality.

Guest Knightrider

It'll take more than Allardyce to make Ramage solid and dependable I'm afraid. One CB's really not enough, especially given that Taylor's injury prone.

He's a shocking footballer is Ramage, but defensively he's no Bramble. He can be solid and dependable as he proved in Europe at times last season, in particular his performances in Italy and against Fenerbache at home. I'm not saying he should start every game here BTW, ideally he wouldn't even be in the squad, all I'm saying is if we are forced to use him due to injuries or whatever, I can see him being a lot more solid and dependable under Sam than under Roeder or Souness, and that goes for the whole team defensively.

Ramage I'm afraid appears to suffer from the Bramble disease ... for which there is no cure.

Yep, Bramble actually had ability just not the brain to use it. Like the worlds most powerful PC without a monitor.

He was talking about bringing in 4 defenders so I can't see him only wanting one CB tbh.

Now that seems 3-4, could quite easily be two full backs and a centre back. Was just a though anyway as I cant see him wanting 5 centre backs here (6 if you include Ramage, 8 if you include Edgar and Hunts).

I hope next week it doesn't drop to 2-3 like Roeder's list did as time went on.

Yep, Bramble actually had ability just not the brain to use it. Like the worlds most powerful PC without a monitor.

he even had the brain.......but it overheated too often

Guest Alan Shearer 9

It'll take more than Allardyce to make Ramage solid and dependable I'm afraid. One CB's really not enough, especially given that Taylor's injury prone.

He's a shocking footballer is Ramage, but defensively he's no Bramble. He can be solid and dependable as he proved in Europe at times last season, in particular his performances in Italy and against Fenerbache at home. I'm not saying he should start every game here BTW, ideally he wouldn't even be in the squad, all I'm saying is if we are forced to use him due to injuries or whatever, I can see him being a lot more solid and dependable under Sam than under Roeder or Souness, and that goes for the whole team defensively.

I think Stevie Wonder would make a better judge of football than you :lol:

Guest Knightrider

Btw Hunt is a laughing stock at Bolton, the fans point him out as being shite and moan that Allardyce never got them better fullbacks.

Yet they kept clean sheets and in the last few seasons their average league finish in terms of total points would have them in 5th.

And this is my point exactly, a shit player indidvidually can still do a job within a team, as Hunt has been doing for Bolton and I'm sure Ramage or Carr will do for us, even though they are indeed shite.

Paradoxically, playing good players in defence does not make a good defence, defending isn't about ability on the ball or talent, it's about team-work, organisation and discipline and you have to look at it collectively.

That's been our problem for years, no-one has ever done that, everyone has tried to fix the defence by signing better players than those already at the club in the hope because they are better players, the defence will be better. Doesn't work like that, indeed most good defences often contain one shite player. Hunt is Bolton's, Ramage could be ours.

That's been our problem for years, no-one has ever done that, everyone has tried to fix the defence by signing better players than those already at the club in the hope because they are better players, the defence will be better. Doesn't work like that, indeed most good defences often contain one shite player. Hunt is Bolton's, Ramage could be ours.

Eh? Since when have NUFC done that?

We've signed a few big money defenders, but they've been fucking rubbish, apart from the obvious in Woodgate. For too long we've got by on cheap shite who can 'do a job' when most of the time they actually can't, to the required level anyway - AO'B, Carr, Babayaro, Moore, Griffin, Hughes et al.

Ramage is never going to be solid and dependable because he just doesn't have the ability in the Premiership. League 1 player if he's lucky.

That's been our problem for years, no-one has ever done that, everyone has tried to fix the defence by signing better players than those already at the club in the hope because they are better players, the defence will be better. Doesn't work like that, indeed most good defences often contain one s**** player. Hunt is Bolton's, Ramage could be ours.

We've signed a few big money defenders, but they've been f****** rubbish, apart from the obvious in Woodgate. For too long we've got by on cheap s**** who can 'do a job' when most of the time they actually can't, to the required level anyway - AO'B, Carr, Babayaro, Moore, Griffin, Hughes et al.

Ramage is never going to be solid and dependable because he just doesn't have the ability in the Premiership. League 1 player if he's lucky.

marcelinho,bramble,goma,boumsong cheap ?

we have always been cheap for full backs however. which are probably at the moment the most important players in football

Guest Knightrider

That's the problem with a lot of posters on here, they judge a player by his ability or lack of and never consider anything outside of that, especially in the context of the collective team.

You can see where Freddy Shepherd got it from...

"Luque - Spanish international, lets sign him, he'll do the business, he's better than what we have so will improve the team"

Just look at some of the Curtis Davies comments.

"He's a defender, we don't have many, he's better than Ramage, lets sign him, he'll do the business"

:lol:

Just as well we have a manager who understands all this. Hence "Steven Taylor is a very, very good prospect and to put Curtis Davies in there - both are in their early 20s - would be the wrong thing to do"

Restated: Someone who considers things outside of ability or lack of it.

marcelinho,bramble,goma,boumsong cheap ?

we have always been cheap for full backs however. which are probably at the moment the most important players in football

Warren Barton?

Guest Knightrider

We've signed a few big money defenders, but they've been fucking rubbish, apart from the obvious in Woodgate. For too long we've got by on cheap shite who can 'do a job' when most of the time they actually can't, to the required level anyway - AO'B, Carr, Babayaro, Moore, Griffin, Hughes et al.

See Madras' post.

christ, Ramage is absolute garbage. you cannot get away with being able to simply 'hoof the ball away' in the premiership. His lack of pace, strength, aerial ability, game reading, ball control etc etc etc

playing Ramage is like playing 3 at the back, it really really is