Scudamore - Only the Big Four Matter

brummie

What a fucking joke of a man he is.

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore shrugged off fears that the big four of Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have made English football too predictable — because it keeps the fans in the Far East happy.

While supporters here are increasingly frustrated that the fight for the Premiership has become a moneydriven, foregone conclusion with each passing season — and the rich simply getting richer — last night Scudamore insisted such a scenario is good news for the game's profile abroad.

Speaking from Hong Kong, where free-spending Liverpool are competing with unfashionable Fulham and Portsmouth in the Asia Trophy, Scudamore dismissed concerns back home about the predictable nature of the Premiership title race.

He likened the dominance of the socalled big four to that of Tiger Woods in golf or Roger Federer in tennis, saying: "The talk about only certain teams being able to win the Premier League is a bit of a domestic phenomenon. In Asia, it is almost completely the opposite.

"The fans here are excited by the fact it is the clubs they have heard of who are winning. It is like the Tiger Woods or Roger Federer factor.

"People may want other players to win the major championships, but when those two do it there is more interest."

Scudamore's words are likely to infuriate loyal fans of those sides seen as second and third tier. Barring a solitary crown for Blackburn Rovers in 1995, United, Chelsea and Arsenal have dominated the Premiership title race ever since the League's inception 15 years ago.

But with domestic and overseas television contracts set to earn the Premier League almost £2billion over the next three years, the financial health of the game in England has become paramount for those in charge, even if the trickle-down of wealth has not seen the silverware spread among the lesser lights.

Scudamore is clearly keen to expand the Premier League's enormous profile further in Asia, even if the potential markets are only interested in watching the glamour sides on their television screens.

He added: "It is stating the obvious, but the Asian market have to consume most of their Premier League football very remotely, via TV. But the one thing that strikes anyone who comes out here is the fact the fans have an absolutely intense interest and knowledge in our domestic football.

"I know some people in England would say true fans are the ones who travel to an away game on a wet November night. But the people in Asia are just as fanatical about their football.

"It is a positive thing for all of us when we take an opportunity to give them a chance to touch and feel what they see on their television screens all year."

Scudamore was forced to admit that barring a shock, the army of fans in Asia — just like those back home — are likely to see yet another four-horse race for the Premiership title and Champions League slots.

He said: "It does matter that our League is competitive. Nobody is talking about a one-club league any more. The question is, how many more do you add into the mix?

"Liverpool are clearly having a go and you can never write Arsenal off. Who knows, at some point there may be a surprise and another club may force their way into the gang of four?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=470886&in_page_id=1779

Cunt. If people in Asia are that fanatical about football then they'd want other teams to break into the top 4, and it wouldn't matter if one of the most famous clubs didn't win.

As I said, he contradicts himself. If they're fanatical about football they'd welcome a different winner/more competition at the top. If not then they're clearly not fanatics about football, they're fanatical about Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Can't blame people in Asia for this :lol:

can in a way,it's the" glory hunting i want to be attached to winner" complex that is fucking football the world over.

as for me,the only time i derive enjoyment from foreign football results is when the supposed big guns get turned over off so-called lesser lights and theres few things better than a nobody winning the league.

Guest Ridzuan

Im not happy.I think its unfair that in this part of the region,finding more Arsenal,Man U,Chelsea and Liverpool related stuffs are much more easier than finding stuffs from other clubs,including us.Im not talking about the football jerseys,but other merchandise instead and the cable vision here always tend to show live matches which include the Big Four,which I am not happy with.I think that other clubs,like us need to put in more effort at investing in the Asian market because I believe it is a very huge potential here.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

can in a way,it's the" glory hunting i want to be attached to winner" complex that is fucking football the world over.

as for me,the only time i derive enjoyment from foreign football results is when the supposed big guns get turned over off so-called lesser lights and theres few things better than a nobody winning the league.

it's true that's why I've got a soft spot for Napoli, still the FA are a useless organisation and they should take the blame imo

Guest Ridzuan

all vidukas fault tbh - ridzuan is also part of the problem, change that photo

What are you talking about.Yes I admit Viduka's is very popular in this region but I dont think he has anything to do with the popularity for the Big Four.But I guess bringing him here  is a good thing as it would mean that more Asian fans will follow our progress now.They would want to know how their best player is doing.

I don't care about Asia based glory hunters latching on to Man United or Liverpool, it is the domestic glory hunter I object to.

People walking around Birmingham in Man United shirts. If I had a gun ...

can in a way,it's the" glory hunting i want to be attached to winner" complex that is f****** football the world over.

it's true that's why I've got a soft spot for Napoli, still the FA are a useless organisation and they should take the blame imo

could be from when they were champions :coolsmiley:

not all fans go for the gloryhuntism,but the majority and that is enough to tilt the financial balance massivly.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

can in a way,it's the" glory hunting i want to be attached to winner" complex that is f****** football the world over.

could be from when they were champions :coolsmiley:

not all fans go for the gloryhuntism,but the majority and that is enough to tilt the financial balance massivly.

Exactly, before they won the scudettos/other trophies with Maradona/Krol/Careca etc, they were nobodies and had never won anything, despite being to this day one of the best supported clubs from within Italy in Italy. Plus the fact Napoli is a shithole and looked down upon in Italy made it nicer for them. MARADOO MARADOOOOOOO!!!!

Well that at least explains how the big four get preferential treatment all the fucking time!

With all of them getting more of there fair share of football decisions! I feel It's because that cunt want's them to be in finals all the time and he want's them to win more championships, so he can make more money of gullible peasents from around the world !

Lets face it footie's gone to the dogs!  I think the big four should just fuck off into a super wanker league and leave the rest of us to it!

Not had a rant for a while!  :rant:  :laugh2:

Well that at least explains how the big four get preferential treatment all the f****** time!

With all of them getting more of there fair share of football decisions! I feel It's because that c*** want's them to be in finals all the time and he want's them to win more championships, so he can make more money of gullible peasents from around the world !

Lets face it footie's gone to the dogs!  I think the big four should just f*** off into a super w****** league and leave the rest of us to it!

the mascherano and tevez deals now fit into place.

Well that at least explains how the big four get preferential treatment all the f****** time!

With all of them getting more of there fair share of football decisions! I feel It's because that c*** want's them to be in finals all the time and he want's them to win more championships, so he can make more money of gullible peasents from around the world !

Lets face it footie's gone to the dogs!  I think the big four should just f*** off into a super w****** league and leave the rest of us to it!

Yep it's all part of the fantastic four plan!

Yep it's all part of the fantastic four plan!

some club,straight after mascherano,should have done the same thing,quoting liverpools special circumstances,then another club,then another,then when the prem/fa says no,these are the rules,take the fuckers to court.

I too like the underdogs of Napoli and also the Genovese.

author=madras link=topic=43209.msg933120#msg933120 date=1185441277]

some club,straight after mascherano,should have done the same thing,quoting liverpools special circumstances,then another club,then another,then when the prem/fa says no,these are the rules,take the fuckers to court.

What did they do that was against the rules exactly?

Guest Triglett

This is the cunt who refused our appeal to replay the match against West Ham, with the backing of most PL clubs, in order to "protect the integrity of the league”. Makes you wonder.

As I said, he contradicts himself. If they're fanatical about football they'd welcome a different winner/more competition at the top. If not then they're clearly not fanatics about football, they're fanatical about Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Exactly. If they care about the football they'll want to see a more competitive league. If they care about brands they'll fawn all over Man Utd and Liverpool.

Scudamore is basically talking out of his arse, saying they know their football and are as fanatical as us yet also saying they need the big brands to win all of the time.

author=madras link=topic=43209.msg933120#msg933120 date=1185441277]

What did they do that was against the rules exactly?

the rule that a player cannot move twice in one season within the same country......yet he received "special dispensation"

This is the cunt who refused our appeal to replay the match against West Ham, with the backing of most PL clubs, in order to "protect the integrity of the league. Makes you wonder.

He was spot on for that.