Apart from the big 4 who will finish above us this season?

Parky

Oh, Parky!!!  ;D

The honeymoon period is over and Ashley was a good signing, but I'm not impressed with Reo or Harewood and they struggled immensely at the tail end  of last year.

Yes, we struggled immensely at the end of last season, that is if you call a nine match unbeaten run including three away wins "struggling immensely".

Joking apart, I think we'll finish more or less in the same area of the table as you will (although, obv, for the purposes of our wager, I mean above you), but I don't see how MON needs another year to get it right, but SA is going to get it right in his first year - that's a massive ask of any manager.

I think you could probably take Newcastle, Villa, Portsmouth, West Ham, Everton and possibly Citeh, pick a random order and stand a very good chance of getting it right.

One thing is for sure we both need to improve our goalscoring.

Oh, Parky!!!  ;D

The honeymoon period is over and Ashley was a good signing, but I'm not impressed with Reo or Harewood and they struggled immensely at the tail end  of last year.

Yes, we struggled immensely at the end of last season, that is if you call a nine match unbeaten run including three away wins "struggling immensely".

Joking apart, I think we'll finish more or less in the same area of the table as you will (although, obv, for the purposes of our wager, I mean above you), but I don't see how MON needs another year to get it right, but SA is going to get it right in his first year - that's a massive ask of any manager.

I think you could probably take Newcastle, Villa, Portsmouth, West Ham, Everton and possibly Citeh, pick a random order and stand a very good chance of getting it right.

Funny thing is, at the start of this window, i was worried about our strikers. Now I've thought about it, i'm not really (so long as Harebrain stays off the pitch, I think Luke Moore and Agbonlahor plus Carew will do well), but I am more worried about our defence.

Much work needed.

Oh, Parky!!!  ;D

Funny thing is, at the start of this window, i was worried about our strikers. Now I've thought about it, i'm not really (so long as Harebrain stays off the pitch, I think Luke Moore and Agbonlahor plus Carew will do well), but I am more worried about our defence.

Much work needed.

Out of this little group Everton have the best def. You and pompey close behind.

Out of this little group Everton have the best def. You and pompey close behind.

Portsmouth have the best defence by some way, I think.

Ours is fucked - Mellberg is starting to look past it, Laursen is excellent but injury prone, Cahill is possibly not ready, Bouma is solid, but at RB there is a big, empty void, so worrying that I'm starting to pine for Aaron Hughes.

Ours is fucked - Mellberg is starting to look past it, Laursen is excellent but injury prone, Cahill is possibly not ready, Bouma is solid, but at RB there is a big, empty void, so worrying that I'm starting to pine for Aaron Hughes.

GA last year being a starting point that is....

Everton conceded 36 goals only 9 more than the Champions.

We only conceded 5 more than Everton did, but that is misleading.

Incidentally, I checked out Soccerbase to see how many we'd conceded and noticed something odd about last year's table, check it out (I'd post the link, but you need to manually select the season)

Incidentally, I checked out Soccerbase to see how many we'd conceded and noticed something odd about last year's table, check it out (I'd post the link, but you need to manually select the season)

You scored more goals away?

You scored more goals away?

No, the fact that according to their table "Brazil" and "Chile" finished below Watford, check it out.

Everton are weak in the fullback positions Hibbert and Valente are poor

Hibbert is a really solid defender but useless going forward. Valente is too old/slow now but had done a decent job for us when fit.

Anyway, P. Neville played right back more often than Hibbert last year and I think Jagielka will now take over that position. If we sign Baines for the left we'll have two new starting full backs.

-----------------Howard----------------

Jagielka---Yobo---Lescott---Baines

Not bad at all.

Everton are weak in the fullback positions Hibbert and Valente are poor

Hibbert is a really solid defender but useless going forward. Valente is too old/slow now but had done a decent job for us when fit.

Anyway, P. Neville played right back more often than Hibbert last year and I think Jagielka will now take over that position. If we sign Baines for the left we'll have two new starting full backs.

-----------------Howard----------------

Jagielka---Yobo---Lescott---Baines

Not bad at all.

Of the pairings amongst this little group imo this is the strongest : Yobo---Lescott.

Guest Knightrider

We have the makings of a very good team, however even if we do sign some quality defenders I expect this season to be one of transition where really we could finish anywhere from 12th-5th.

I think some people need to lower their expectations. I'll stick my neck out and say 8th.

Just remembered Sam said a cup was the priority, reckoned it was the easiest route into Europe iirc. That might affect league placing by a couple of places.

Would be worth it with the ability to attract a wider range of players though surely!

Are players really attracted by the prospect of playing in the UEFA cup these days?

Serious question. The current format ruins it.

Still European football I suppose, which is a bigger stage.

Know what you mean though, most of the teams we've played in recent years were tripe. When we played anyone half decent we went out.

Are players really attracted by the prospect of playing in the UEFA cup these days?

Know what you mean though, most of the teams we've played in recent years were tripe. When we played anyone half decent we went out.

The UEFA Cup ain't bigger than the PL, not by a long way.

But if they're coming to this league anyway they might still opt for a team in the Waffa than one not.

But if they're coming to this league anyway they might still opt for a team in the Waffa than one not.

See, that's what I'm not sure about any more, whether that would ever really be the deciding factor rather than, say, money, or whether they get to live in London or several other things.

When you look at the ridiculous format these days, it is enough to think that any player with half a brain would think fuck it, it is best avoided.

EDIT of course they wouldnt really go out of their way to avoid it, but you know what I mean. Probably.

Depends if we can stay fit, we have a much better forward line than any of those teams apart from Spurs who i see as equal, Man City have shit strikers like, diabolical so they wont finish above us. Villa are too inexperienced so they won't finish off games well, probably draw too many games. Everton are a fluctuating team and do well one year and are crap the next so im not expecting them to be brilliant plus with the same players eventhough they lost one of their best in Fernandes i think people know what to expect of them, i say they will finish around 10th. As for West Ham and Pompy both will do crap, neither teams have signed decent enough players for Europe but Pompy have a good defence its other areas they lack in, but both of these teams have been too desperate in the market and i dont think harry has the tactics or nouse to pull off another high finish. i expect Blackburn to finish 9th. If we sign 2/3 more defenders we are challenging for 5th, no doubt, one midfielder wouldnt be too bad either, but defence is the priority.

Guest Triglett

More games to be involved in too, I suppose. I can guarantee Petrov would have got at least 40-45 apps if he'd joined us, which makes his reasons for joining City a little dubious *bitter*

You're right about your forward line (if they can play together) but you won't finish 5th with that defence, that's a fact. You've got to give him a chance to get things right at the back, and it isn't necessarily going to happen overnight.

I would not be surprised at all if Portsmouth finished above Newcastle, Villa, and Man City. Like it or not, they're further along the teambuilding road.

Guest Triglett

You're right about your forward line (if they can play together) but you won't finish 5th with that defence, that's a fact. You've got to give him a chance to get things right at the back, and it isn't necessarily going to happen overnight.

I would not be surprised at all if Portsmouth finished above Newcastle, Villa, and Man City. Like it or not, they're further along the teambuilding road.

Think it's 9 new players Pompey have brought in since January, with more to come. When Redknapp came back and built that team from scratch, it took him right until the end of the season before they started to gel, surviving relegation by the skin of their teeth. I don't think it'll be as easy as some are making out. And as I mentioned in the other thread, their squad will be decimated by the ACN too.