Faye signs three year deal

STM

I'm quite happy to see Smith in the team instead of Dyer, but I'll be disappointed if the board makes the manager operate a "one man in one man out for a similar fee" policy. It is a long time since the board at NUFC adopted such a policy. Basically, we should always be looking for players to strengthen the team, with the knowledge that having a big fanbase, we can within reasonable limits speculate to accumulate.

Where has it been suggested this is the case?

In NE5's post, the part you've highlighted.  :razz:

also in Allardyces comments, again, quoted by Baggio. Smith for Dyer. [not forgetting Barton for Parker].

Unless someone knows more than Sam does  :coolsmiley:

I've highlighted a different part, which is the policy we have adopted for the last 15 years.

A lot will depend on Allardyce's views on Emre tbh. It's obvious he thinks highly of Barton, and if he has high hopes for Emre then it's arguable that we're stocked well in midfield already.

What we really lacked on Saturday was someone like Barton to get forward and make the most of Viduka's play with his back to goal and a playmaker ala Emre to provide quality balls in to Viduka's feet.

Time will tell, but there's certainly a case for getting in a top playmaker as there are obvious concerns over how much Emre will contribute.

Personally, I'd give thought to playing Milner through the middle until Barton is back. Now that Owen is back and N'Zogbia should be able to move out of the LB spot we have another two options for the wide roles. Milner would get beyond the front man and would be a goal threat from the middle, which we sorely lacked on Saturday.

Milner could flourish through the middle where his lack of pace is irrelevant, I've said that for a while now.

N'Zogbia would be better suited to the wing as he can stretch the play with his pace.

Smith would be suited to Boro, the signing of Faye would make his even more ridiculous.

I'm quite happy to see Smith in the team instead of Dyer, but I'll be disappointed if the board makes the manager operate a "one man in one man out for a similar fee" policy. It is a long time since the board at NUFC adopted such a policy. Basically, we should always be looking for players to strengthen the team, with the knowledge that having a big fanbase, we can within reasonable limits speculate to accumulate.

also in Allardyces comments, again, quoted by Baggio. Smith for Dyer. [not forgetting Barton for Parker].

I've highlighted a different part, which is the policy we have adopted for the last 15 years.

Who did we sell to sign Enrique and Rozenhal then?

What do you think of the £30 million they paid off the debt? You ignored that thread on Howaythetoon for some reason...

We've also signed Geremi without getting rid of anyone, not to mention an almost entirely new defense without raising any cash from sales there.

As I said in my previous post, if Allardyce rates Emre then I'm not sure another CM is essential, though I'd be pleased if we got one nonetheless.

I'd rather we buy a striker/winger personally.

Exactly.  Allardyces quote was about the number of players in the squad,  not the financial side.  Anything to have a sneaky little dig though,  eh?

A lot will depend on Allardyce's views on Emre tbh. It's obvious he thinks highly of Barton, and if he has high hopes for Emre then it's arguable that we're stocked well in midfield already.

What we really lacked on Saturday was someone like Barton to get forward and make the most of Viduka's play with his back to goal and a playmaker ala Emre to provide quality balls in to Viduka's feet.

Time will tell, but there's certainly a case for getting in a top playmaker as there are obvious concerns over how much Emre will contribute.

Personally, I'd give thought to playing Milner through the middle until Barton is back. Now that Owen is back and N'Zogbia should be able to move out of the LB spot we have another two options for the wide roles. Milner would get beyond the front man and would be a goal threat from the middle, which we sorely lacked on Saturday.

I'm not sure if Allardyce will rate Emre. I don't rate him too much personally. I agree with what you say about needing to run past Viduka ie ahead of the ball and past Viduka, especially when he drops deep to accept a pass into him. I think this need is urgent enough for the owners to find the money and go for getting back into europe quickly. They will get their money back later, or with the later sale of Emre to recoup part of the fee, if the manager selects the right player.

I would consider playing zoggy in this position. It might not give him the space to run at players like he does when he plays wide, but he does have the pace and has said somewhere that he would like to play inside.

I think that Geremi will go to right back when Barton returns.

Milner could flourish through the middle where his lack of pace is irrelevant, I've said that for a while now.

N'Zogbia would be better suited to the wing as he can stretch the play with his pace.

Smith would be suited to Boro, the signing of Faye would make his even more ridiculous.

As have I.

Kind of a tricky situation we find ourselves in regarding Milner. As an individual, his performances the first two games have been very good. But it does somewhat upset the balance of the team as his lack of pace is a problem. You need pace out wide, especially in a 4-3-3 where you'll typically have a target man type in the center.

I'd be very excited to see N'Zogbia and Martins either side of Viduka tbh.

As have I.

Kind of a tricky situation we find ourselves in regarding Milner. As an individual, his performances the first two games have been very good. But it does somewhat upset the balance of the team as his lack of pace is a problem. You need pace out wide, especially in a 4-3-3 where you'll typically have a target man type in the center.

Well said mate, I think exactly the same.

Exactly.  Allardyces quote was about the number of players in the squad,  not the financial side.  Anything to have a sneaky little dig though,  eh?

Not really a dig, I don't know why you think I should "dig" at them anyway, its certainly not in the same league as the "digs" that have been made at the ex directors by those whining on about signing top players, and playing in europe regularly.

If you really want to draw a comparison, then signing Enrique and Rozenhal was an urgent need. But so is the need for a quick midfield player. If they want to get back into europe as quickly as possible. After all, the ex board have dug out and showed they had ambition in this respect, by speculating many times in the same way, so what is stopping the new board ?

I'm not sure if Allardyce will rate Emre. I don't rate him too much personally. I agree with what you say about needing to run past Viduka ie ahead of the ball and past Viduka, especially when he drops deep to accept a pass into him. I think this need is urgent enough for the owners to find the money and go for getting back into europe quickly. They will get their money back later, or with the later sale of Emre to recoup part of the fee, if the manager selects the right player.

I would consider playing zoggy in this position. It might not give him the space to run at players like he does when he plays wide, but he does have the pace and has said somewhere that he would like to play inside.

Always thought Barton had been earmarked for this role myself.

He doesn't have pace, but I don't think that's needed in such a role. Lampard and Gerrard do this for their clubs, and neither are about pace. You need to be a powerful runner moreso, and I think Barton has to be aiming to get to that Gerrard/Lampard level of play.

Not really a dig, I don't know why you think I should "dig" at them anyway, its certainly not in the same league as the "digs" that have been made at the ex directors by those whining on about signing top players, and playing in europe regularly.

If you really want to draw a comparison, then signing Enrique and Rozenhal was an urgent need. But so is the need for a quick midfield player. If they want to get back into europe as quickly as possible. After all, the ex board have dug out and showed they had ambition in this respect, by speculating many times in the same way, so what is stopping the new board ?

Perhaps Allardyce doesn't want a quick midfield player, would he have bought Smith if he did?

What do you think of the £30 million they paid off the debt? You ignored that thread on Howaythetoon for some reason...

Basically, I've already said I consider it to be part of the cost of buying the club. He would have known about it, when he decided to go ahead, don't you think  ?

If you buy a house that needs things done to it, you know about it, and you know that when its done it adds to or restores the value. And the simple fact is that, without this debt, it would have cost more to buy the club. I think Ashley has got the club cheaply.

Its up to him now what he does with it. As many people have said, if he wants to make money, then we need to be in the Champs League etc, Correct ?

Never saw pace in center midfield as being at all important tbh, unless the team desperately lacks it in other areas.

More a case of timing your runs well from that part of the field.

As have I.

Well put. I'm still not sure about Martins in this 4-3-3 mind, he barely got into the game at all on Saturday, though I'm not sure about the 4-3-3 at all at home. Our central midfielders probably work best in that system, cos I like a few of them, but our strikers and our wide men are best in a 4-4-2. Interesting problem to solve.

Perhaps Allardyce doesn't want a quick midfield player, would he have bought Smith if he did?

Smith has said that Allardyce has told him that he wants him for his versatility and he will play in different positions.

Always thought Barton had been earmarked for this role myself.

He doesn't have pace, but I don't think that's needed in such a role. Lampard and Gerrard do this for their clubs, and neither are about pace. You need to be a powerful runner moreso, and I think Barton has to be aiming to get to that Gerrard/Lampard level of play.

Yes, I agree, but he's injured. What I mean is that playing Viduka in the role he played on Saturday, needs someone to get ahead of the ball. Martins will do that, but timing of the run of another player and getting into the forward positions when Viduka drops deep is a better way to phrase it.

His injury has outlined the lack of depth though, because our midfield on Saturday didn't have any players that did that. Nor was there creativity in possession, which most of us agree with.

I don't think Barton has been injury prone in the past, and hopefully won't start now.

Basically, I've already said I consider it to be part of the cost of buying the club. He would have known about it, when he decided to go ahead, don't you think  ?

If you buy a house that needs things done to it, you know about it, and you know that when its done it adds to or restores the value. And the simple fact is that, without this debt, it would have cost more to buy the club. I think Ashley has got the club cheaply.

Its up to him now what he does with it. As many people have said, if he wants to make money, then we need to be in the Champs League etc, Correct ?

Still good of him though don't you think? We're much better off now and having a stable financial base means we can plan better for the future, hopefully that will mean CL in the future but our main aim should be to improve on last season and continue to improve every season in future.

I think Viduka's going to suffer without someone to link up with. His partnership with Yakubu has been one of the league's most potent over the last couple of years, he's always worked best with a clinical finisher to link up with. I think one of Martins or Owen could be lethal alongside him.

Smith has said that Allardyce has told him that he wants him for his versatility and he will play in different positions.

With midfield looking to be his favoured position by Allardyce.

Has he even said he wants a pacey player?

Still good of him though don't you think? We're much better off now and having a stable financial base means we can plan better for the future, hopefully that will mean CL in the future but our main aim should be to improve on last season and continue to improve every season in future.

Oh aye, its good of him. But don't think he's doing it out of the goodness of his heart Baggio, somewhere down the line he will hope to gain.

I would say, having spent money like this, and knowing he would be doing it, he should be looking to get back into the Champs League asap. But as supporters, we are all realistic and accept that we can't qualfy for europe all the time and have no divine right to it any more than anyone else who are all striving for the same thing.

After all, the vast majority of people on here have said that he wouldn't have taken over the club not to make money, and this is the way to make the biggest amount of money ?

The only comment I've seen about Smith is as i just said, so I wouldn't like to guess at what else may be in his mind as to where he would play him. If anything.

If he told Smith he would play in various positions, then that is probably exactly what he means.

Oh aye, its good of him. But don't think he's doing it out of the goodness of his heart Baggio, somewhere down the line he will hope to gain.

I would say, having spent money like this, and knowing he would be doing it, he should be looking to get back into the Champs League asap. But as supporters, we are all realistic and accept that we can't qualfy for europe all the time and have no divine right to it any more than anyone else who are all striving for the same thing.

After all, the vast majority of people on here have said that he wouldn't have taken over the club not to make money, and this is the way to make the biggest amount of money ?

Possibly, he seems to have his head screwed on in regards to marketing so I can see him making a push to make us a big brand name over sea's, again though he's only going to do that by making us successful.

I think CL is his aim but it's a fair way off, I can see it being a case of progressing slowly while keeping the club stable rather than throwing 10's of millions in with a chance of never seeing it again.

The only comment I've seen about Smith is as i just said, so I wouldn't like to guess at what else may be in his mind as to where he would play him. If anything.

If he told Smith he would play in various positions, then that is probably exactly what he means.

The thing is though he would have seen Dyer as someone who could play in various positions too which makes me think it's a like for like.

Hope it's not though as we've seen in the past what difference a bit of pace makes to a team, lets hope Allardyce doesn't have to find out the hard way.