Playing For The Shirt..

The Bonk

With really top players it can give them that extra bit of edge, Gerrard and Carragher at Liverpool are great examples. It's only natural to put that extra in when you genuinely care for the club, and if your other players see such commitment it can only spur them on. Taylor could be that for us, in time.

But, without the talent, it's pretty worthless. I'm sure we could assemble a team of 11 people from this board who care more for the club than anyone on the books. Wouldn't make them any use, it's why I'd start Babayaro ahead of Ramage at LB every time.

Guest Knightrider

There is only one player in my lifetime supporting NUFC that has truly played for the shirt; James Milner.

You mean the same James Milner who was seen on the verge of tears in our training ground car park when he got the call from Fat Freddie telling him his transfer was off?  :coolsmiley:

As Baron Von Thingy said, the playing for the shirt thing is largely an anachronism these days. I can think of a few Man United players who do, and maybe Gerrard and Carragher at Liverpool, but then again it is easy playing for the shirt when you're winning things.

These days the major thing footballers give a shit about is themselves. Anything else comes a distant second. Observe the serial badge kisser Frank Lampard who will doubtless be off if he doesn't get pay parity with the other badge kisser John Terry.

You mean the same James Milner who was seen on the verge of tears in our training ground car park when he got the call from Fat Freddie telling him his transfer was off?  :coolsmiley:

As Baron Von Thingy said, the playing for the shirt thing is largely an anachronism these days. I can think of a few Man United players who do, and maybe Gerrard and Carragher at Liverpool, but then again it is easy playing for the shirt when you're winning things.

These days the major thing footballers give a shit about is themselves. Anything else comes a distant second. Observe the serial badge kisser Frank Lampard who will doubtless be off if he doesn't get pay parity with the other badge kisser John Terry.

"Who knows what would have happened if I had gone to Villa. I had a great year there on loan and they're a good club, but I'm delighted with the way things have worked out for me at Newcastle.

"I want to be here for a long time and I want to win things. The Villa thing is in the past, it's a closed chapter in my career and I'm looking forward, not backwards."

Sounds gutted.

Guest Invicta_Toon

There is only one player in my lifetime supporting NUFC that has truly played for the shirtlifting in the showers; James Milner.

You can't expect anyone bar those players who actually support NUFC to 'play for the shirt'.

Motivation comes from a lot of different places, I would rather a player perform because of personal pride in how he does his job... that would be true regardless of club.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Playing for the shirt is the kind of rhetoric the likes of Souness used as motivation...

I'd far rather a player played for his team mates, manager and self above something like the shirt or badge, doing so will mean playing for the shirt or badge is inconsequential anyway.

See how good they play without a shirt on

Guest Alan Shearer 9

what I meant by 'playing for the shirt' was always playing your best if anything to show how good you are and to keep playing football. If a player ahs any respect for himself he will always put in 100%.

what I meant by 'playing for the shirt' was always playing your best if anything to show how good you are and to keep playing football. If a player ahs any respect for himself he will always put in 100%.

I think most people understand it to mean playing with commitment to that specific club because you love it, rather than just trying hard generally.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

There is only one player in my lifetime supporting NUFC that has truly played for the shirt; James Milner.

:lol:

More evidence that HTT is a 5 year old posing as a 37 year old.

Gerrard playes for the shirt?  :idiot2: 

how is the man utd song for Gerrard? think it was something like:  "Oh Gerrard Gerrard, He kisses the badge on his chest, then puts in a transfer request".  I must agree with Carragher playing for the shirt though. Gerrard is playing for trophies and money...