A Long Read......

Heron

The Milburn (being the oldest after the East Stand) probably contained people who'd had their season tickets longer than anyone else (apart from the East Stand) before they were thrown out actually. They aren't the REAL fans though. That's the sort of clueless s**** that makes people think you're just daft kids.

That's my point exactly, members off here say that we're clueless and yet i have just shown that we're not as clueless as you think. I know for a fact that the real fans have always been behind both the goals, the Leazes was where the REAL fans used to go, when that used to be our singing end in the 70's and 80's during the days of football violence. But i want to stress that i don't mean the hooligans, i mean the passionate/loud fans.

The Milburn (being the oldest after the East Stand) probably contained people who'd had their season tickets longer than anyone else (apart from the East Stand) before they were thrown out actually. They aren't the REAL fans though. That's the sort of clueless shite that makes people think you're just daft kids.

Tbf, Vic was the first person who mentioned the term 'real' fan. Can't blame the kid for trying to argue his case, which is quite a decent one.

The Milburn (being the oldest after the East Stand) probably contained people who'd had their season tickets longer than anyone else (apart from the East Stand) before they were thrown out actually. They aren't the REAL fans though. That's the sort of clueless s**** that makes people think you're just daft kids.

That's my point exactly, members off here say that we're clueless and yet i have just shown that we're not as clueless as you think. I know for a fact that the real fans have always been behind both the goals, the Leazes was where the REAL fans used to go, when that used to be our singing end in the 70's and 80's during the days of football violence. But i want to stress that i don't mean the hooligans, i mean the passionate/loud fans.

Aye, but not after the redevelopment. You were suggesting their were no real fans moved out the Milburn when, as I pointed out they were amongst the longest serving season tickets holders in the ground as it was the second oldest stand. Got it yet?

The Milburn (being the oldest after the East Stand) probably contained people who'd had their season tickets longer than anyone else (apart from the East Stand) before they were thrown out actually. They aren't the REAL fans though. That's the sort of clueless shite that makes people think you're just daft kids.

Tbf, Vic was the first person who mentioned the term 'real' fan. Can't blame the kid for trying to argue his case, which is quite a decent one.

In general, it is a decent case, to be fair.

True, the 'old' stadium, i.e. the 36,500 seater had a fantastic atmosphere during the Keegan years (in the main). Similarly at times under Dalglish even (Barca at home in the CL for example). I think something close to that could be achieved in the current SJP but it'll take some fantastic performances on the pitch from genuinely class players to bring that about. The Ultras' intentions are admirable but I think their achievements are bound to be limited.

Performances on the pitch go a long way to dictating the atmosphere, as do the logisitics of the ground.

Back in the 80's and early 90's (looked at with rose tinted specs by many i think) when the ground was open at both ends, rarely full and the team was shit the atmosphere also was usually shit. There were a few young uns in the corner of the Gallowgate singing and a few Young uns in the Scoreboard section of the Gallowgate singing as well. Due to there not being that many of them and there also being no roof they were barely audible at the other end of the ground.

The atmosphere picked up when we ran away with the First Division title in 1992/93 and at this time (and for a few years after that as well) the majority of the singing actually came from the Milburn Stand in the corner towards the Leazes End not from any of the standing areas which i think dispells the myth about the end of standing being the cause of lack of atmosphere. The atmosphere was maintained and even improved with the building of the new stands at the Leazes and Gallowgate ends meaning the whole ground was covered (at the sameish height) and the noise was deflected back intop the ground rather than up in the air.

Extending the ground to 52K did however have a negative effect on the atmosphere. The "Singing" corner of the Milburn (of which i was part) became a corporate area and everyone who sat there was moved to other parts of the ground, mainly Level 7 Milburn, but not all sat together like previously. Also at that time the performances on the field of play dropped dramatically and we were utter shit for about 4 seasons running which again hinders the atmosphere.

The logistics of the ground now also mean that the lop sidedness of the ground means it is no longer as enclosed and a lot of noise created in the Leazes End and Milburn Stands just goes up in the air rather than reverberating around the ground.

Certain games have still produced excellent atmospheres in the newly developed ground however, but these have been when there has been something at stake and the team have played out of their skins as well eg Chelsea at home last day of the 2005/06 season when we had to win to secure 7th spot and the atmosphere in the 2nd half was the best i've known for years.

A winning team playing attractive, exciting football is what will "Bring back the noise" to SJP as that is what always lifted the atmosphere in the past.

If the powers that be, the new board, recognise the psychological effect a noisy passionate support can have on both the opposition and the home team then they would do their utmost to try and improve the situation.

The current ground at times can seem almost passionless compared to times in the past and I'm quite sure the periods of almost total silence are even more disconcerting to the players than when a few boos ring out.

As with anything there is no one factor that causes a problem or forms a solution. But exciting football coupled with dedicated singing sections (standing?) in lower tiers of the ground would go along way to improving the situation.

In the early 90's the singers had moved out of the Gallowgate and into the Milburn Stand seats at the Leazes End overlooking what at the time was the away fans pen.

Guest Invicta_Toon

the more I read of your lot, the more it sounds like you are honestly trying to make people make noise by force. All this 'why wouldn't you want a better atmosphere?' attitude is completely mis-placed, you have missed the point.

I think you seriously need to question if this would ever work, I mean are you as a group really going to convince someone who doesn't currently make noise to do it, just because you plead and make banners?

you harp on about the Keegan years, yet seem to forget the reason why people were making noise. Loudest fans in the world win lose or draw is a myth (except away games), made worse by the extension to 50k

it will come when it comes, if it ever comes. your efforts while something to be proud of, will achieve nothing by themselves. That to me is plain as day, to a 17 year old, maybe not, but as they say, you'll learn.

I appreciate your views, but we are not "forcing" people to sing.

Like it or not the problem didn't arise because of the stadium expansion, the problem has came as a result of over-priced tickets that stop younger lads like myself from getting to the game. Young lads like myself are the ones who make the majority of the noise, it's a fact. I, like many my age will attend games for a day out with the lads, and the majority of the Toon Ultras are season ticket holders too. We don't just go to the cup games and friendlies.

Until, either A) The ticket prices go down or B) Older blokes get behind us...your right we will struggle. That is unless C) the club decide to repay their fans for once and create a singing section.

I too have my doubts about our organisation, but i hope one day we can say that we achieved something good for Newcastle United.

you're just plain wrong tbh. I was there in the Keegan era and everyone was making noise, from the smallest kid to the old gits. And the expansion did make it worse, as it facilitated the creation of the platinum club etc, populated by a bunch of c***s, and shoving real fans up into the gods

"Shoving real fans up into the gods", that would be where the Ultras are seated on league games. In addition to that, the majority of Level 7 is made up of youths, people who want to go and sing. The Leazes Level 7 is the loudest part of the ground on a league game, even if half the ground can't hear them because they are so high up.

But if you claim the real fans are shoved up into the gods, i am assuming you mean us? The ones who go to make a noise? Therefore, if that is the case, why do youmake derogatory comments about us as often. You might as well have said our cause is pointless and will get us nowhere in your previous posts, but if you do want an atmosphere? what are you doing to try and improve it???

Maybes your sick of trying, as other members have said, and i totally agree, the KK days were something special, and it will be hard to get that sort of atmosphere again. But supporting a football club is 2 ways, the club needs to produce the goods to get the fans going, and the fans need to produce the goods to get the team going.

After mediocre performances last season and a mediocre finish, i understand some of the older lads being a bit dissappointed and fed up. But now we are under a new board, with a new manager, and new players. People need to stop being so pessimistic and try to give them their vocal backing.

I meant the people who used to be in the west stand who got moved, I doubt that's any of your lot.

it's about time you realised that singing is a natural spontaneous thing, no-one is going to be coerced into doing it by a group, and if anything, your constant criticism is only going to piss people off more, and put them less in the mood.

sing if you want, but stop crowing on like you're some missionaries come to bring light to the masses, we f****** know what we're about

The West Stand-The Milburn, well i've never known that to be where the REAL fans go. I've always known it to be in the corners and the Gallowgate and Leazes.

I am obviously not pissing people off, there have been about 15 other posts in here that aren't being as cynical as yours, and are actually showing a level of understanding that you seem to be unable to gain.

If you know what you're about, then you would realise that we get a reputation for having great fans when really they're not that great at all. People like you, who can sit and criticise all day, but never gain an understanding are the problem at home games. You may as well go and sit in your armchair, you'd save hundreds, if not thogusands.

On the other hand, i understand your points that it (singing) is done out of spontanaity, and i agree to a certain extent. But i tell you what, if you type 'red ultras', 'green brigade', etc into google and you see what some other British clubs are doing to improve their atmospheres, you'll be rather surprised at the huge positive affect on a crowd a 'ultra' type group can have. By a few simple displays, or a group constantly singing, others around the ground (like myself on league home games) feel more comfortable to stand and sing alone, or voice their opinions.

I sit in the Leazes Middle Tier on league games, and despite the good view and the friendly people around me, i feel uncomfortable. Why? Because there are too many people who siot their doing f*** all until they boo because they haven't been entertained. The East Stand (where you probably sit) is also full of these types of people.

In fact, me and my dad stand at points every game chanting away and everyone around us loves us, not that it matters...because what i would prefer was that more people sang around me.

Without the 'ultra' type groups that are emerging from British clubs, i think you will slowly see a working class passionate sport, turn more and more into a middle class pantomime. Ticket sales will decrease and atmospheres will keep on going slowly down the drain.

However, i don't see us as missionaries, who are the only ones to make an atmosphere, like we are some sort of Gods. I see us as an excuse for the passionate fans to come out of their shells and voice there opinions and back their team. I reckon there is probably at least 8 or 9 thousand of those in St James' if not more! The 'ultras' group is small, and needs backing off the likes of you. Why else would i be on here???

there you go again, you can't help yourself coming across as a patronising git. "showing a level of understanding that you seem to be unable to gain." - piss off tbh

I've told you why you won't achieve your aims alone. The fact you stand there singing your heads off surrounded by mutes and you still don't get it only confirms that fact.

Banging on as if I'm an idiot because I don't understand your 'complicated argument' :rolleyes: , sums everything up for me: well meaning but deluded and ever so slightly arrogant

Guest Invicta_Toon

A winning team playing attractive, exciting football is what will "Bring back the noise" to SJP as that is what always lifted the atmosphere in the past.

nah, banners and extroverts is all we need

WHY CANT YOU UNDERSTAND!!!1111zzz

Guest Cheetzy

When has Heron said anything like that. People in this thread have made good suggestions but just because you seem too have a distinct dislike towards the group TU or just Heron's argument as a whole. Just from reading it you've made up your own opinion already:

Nobody has said anything about banners or extrovert's. They were talked about in the first thread as a way of showing support for the team. You don't have too like them but I for one know most of the TU lads and they do a cracking job whether there being heard or not.

As Heron said many of the members are between 15-21 and asking on here for a bit of support is hardly being the missionary and telling you what too do Invicta, it's just the way Heron sees it. Don't just automatically take something you don't like and slate it.

You need flags and shit, big fuck off flags, like french flags with zoggy's face on or luque in a che guevara kind of way, some flare, you know then you would get more reespect. If people think you are just singing yobs, then bring some flare to your game and show them you are serious about supporting your club and thats all. But more importantly flags!

I think the kid has a point, and I see where Vic is coming from too. If people need a spur to get them going before they will sing, it's not going to be a bunch of what they might see as kids or charvas telling them they are old farts and to create some atmosphere. I see no problem with giving people the opportunity to sit somewhere they know they will be surrounded by singers though, the club could help with some kind of singing sections too.

There's no doubt that good performances on the pitch are the easiest and quickest way to a good atmosphere, but how many of the good performances of the past have been fuelled by the atmosphere, from when we almost knew we were going to win before we kicked off.

Its a small contributing factor, fair enough. But the lack of noise and atmosphere hasn't helped the players over the last few years. Maybe a noisy, intimidating ground is worth a 5 point head start. Maybe 10, who knows. I'm sure it makes a difference though. So what's wrong with at least trying to get things going?

At the end of the day, I would rather be in a ground with people attempting to sing, make a noise, whatever, than people who arent.

You need flags and shit, big fuck off flags, like french flags with zoggy's face on or luque in a che guevara kind of way, some flare, you know then you would get more reespect. If people think you are just singing yobs, then bring some flare to your game and show them you are serious about supporting your club and thats all. But more importantly flags!

:lol:

I've been reading throug the whole thread. Like always the discussion of who are the 'REAL' fans come up, about where the 'REAL' fans sit and etc. What is a 'REAL' fan? Why argue about it, we are all 'REAL' fans, we all support the team and want what is best for the team. We all feel the passion for NUFC, so why not stick together? Why not try to get the noise back, does it hurt to try?

I've also been watching the songs you guys make up, they are to difficult to learn at the match, alot of ppl will not be able to sing those songs because they dont know em. Good songs are the ones that are easy to remember, then even me who lives in norway, and attend to the odd matches can come to SJP are sing with you. When Newcastle when to play lillestrøm, I was there standing with the nufc section, the main problem was I didnt know most of the songs. But some i learned by listening to the fans, like the one: "shoes off if you love the toon".  Its a simple and fun song, and I bet its one of the songs that make the most noise.

I also like to say, dont be negative to everything that is new, it might actually work.  :clap:

I support you but when you have people who look like full on charvs holding your banner its no real suprise.

http://aycu25.webshots.com/image/23464/2003008866827941080_fs.jpg

I support you but when you have people who look like full on charvs holding your banner its no real suprise.

http://aycu25.webshots.com/image/23464/2003008866827941080_fs.jpg

How can you say he looks like a chav??  can y ou see what he's wearing? He just looks like a young kid to me??

Some people will do owt to pick fault's, negative fuckers!

Guest Invicta_Toon

Has there ever been a post that vic agrees with?

I swear to god from now on I will put 'I agree' as a reply to every post I agree with

that'll fucking learn you eh?

Guest Invicta_Toon

When has Heron said anything like that. People in this thread have made good suggestions but just because you seem too have a distinct dislike towards the group TU or just Heron's argument as a whole. Just from reading it you've made up your own opinion already:

Nobody has said anything about banners or extrovert's. They were talked about in the first thread as a way of showing support for the team. You don't have too like them but I for one know most of the TU lads and they do a cracking job whether there being heard or not.

As Heron said many of the members are between 15-21 and asking on here for a bit of support is hardly being the missionary and telling you what too do Invicta, it's just the way Heron sees it. Don't just automatically take something you don't like and slate it.

your whole point is if more people put up banners and get up and sing then the whole ground will sing

I'm telling you that's shite

but fuck it, there are always people who won't be told, and pull out the 'but omfg we must try, why be so negative' Americanised bollocks

If the Toon Ultras get 20,000 members and we stay a mid table team, I guarantee the place will still be silent (not that it is silent tbh, but it's not rocking).

your whole point is if more people put up banners and get up and sing then the whole ground will sing

I'm telling you that's s****

but f*** it, there are always people who won't be told, and pull out the 'but omfg we must try, why be so negative' Americanised bollocks

If the Toon Ultras get 20,000 members and we stay a mid table team, I guarantee the place will still be silent (not that it is silent tbh, but it's not rocking).

How the f*** is it Americanised bollocks??!! Have you never sung when your team has been losing to spur them on? It's exactly the same thing! You must try to spur them on to win, i am pretty damn sure you will have sung when Newcastle has been losing, just to encourage them to get that vital goal. So don't give me that shite about Americanised bollocks.

The Toon Ultras will never be a 20,000 size organisation if wankers like you go on with the same negative attitude, and i am just guessing here but you must be 35+ the way you go on. It's like you have never done the same as what the younger lads do now.

We don't expect there to be a booming atmosphere at every game, but we do expect there to be an improvement on what is currently pretty near to silence.

Besides, if the Ultras were a 20,000 organisation the ground would be almost half full with us. If 3,000 fans can make as much noice as the away fans do, i'm sure 20,000 would have the place bouncing. So don't run your mouth with that stupid shite.

Flags and banners may not directly improve the atmosphere, but if you were on the pitch and saw a big surfer getting waved across saying "Pride Of The North East" or something like that then that would make you think, "fucking hell, i need to do my bit today!" That applys to the likes of money grabbing cunts like Kieron Dyer.

And in regards to you Baggio, i totally understand where your coming form, and another name would be appropriate, but then we would already lose any of the good reputation we have. Our reputation is extremely fragile at the moment and we need to do everything good to make it more secure. (if that makes sense)

Guest Invicta_Toon

but f*** it, there are always people who won't be told, and pull out the 'but omfg we must try, why be so negative' Americanised bollocks

How the f*** is it Americanised bollocks??!! Have you never sung when your team has been losing to spur them on? It's exactly the same thing! You must try to spur them on to win, i am pretty damn sure you will have sung when Newcastle has been losing, just to encourage them to get that vital goal. So don't give me that shite about Americanised bollocks.

The Toon Ultras will never be a 20,000 size organisation if wankers like you go on with the same negative attitude, and i am just guessing here but you must be 35+ the way you go on. It's like you have never done the same as what the younger lads do now.

We don't expect there to be a booming atmosphere at every game, but we do expect there to be an improvement on what is currently pretty near to silence.

Besides, if the Ultras were a 20,000 organisation the ground would be almost half full with us. If 3,000 fans can make as much noice as the away fans do, i'm sure 20,000 would have the place bouncing. So don't run your mouth with that stupid shite.

Flags and banners may not directly improve the atmosphere, but if you were on the pitch and saw a big surfer getting waved across saying "Pride Of The North East" or something like that then that would make you think, "fucking hell, i need to do my bit today!" That applys to the likes of money grabbing cunts like Kieron Dyer.

And in regards to you Baggio, i totally understand where your coming form, and another name would be appropriate, but then we would already lose any of the good reputation we have. Our reputation is extremely fragile at the moment and we need to do everything good to make it more secure. (if that makes sense)

you misunderstood. the americanised bollocks comment is your whiney attitude towards anyone who doesn't think you will achieve anything, 'omfg why r u dissin us? don't you want the team to be succesfull? don't you want a loud stadium?' Of course I do, and I know how it happens, and I know it won't come from your whiney forced efforts. Seriously, how many more members have signed up since this got posted?

ftr I have cheered the team, in the really good times and the bad times in the good era, which is why I know what I'm talking about, and why I know you don't. Like I said, carry on lecturing me if you want, I've said my bit, and I also said you'd be doing your cause no good if you carried on exactly the way you are now

How the f*** is it Americanised bollocks??!! Have you never sung when your team has been losing to spur them on? It's exactly the same thing! You must try to spur them on to win, i am pretty damn sure you will have sung when Newcastle has been losing, just to encourage them to get that vital goal. So don't give me that s**** about Americanised bollocks.

Besides, if the Ultras were a 20,000 organisation the ground would be almost half full with us. If 3,000 fans can make as much noice as the away fans do, i'm sure 20,000 would have the place bouncing. So don't run your mouth with that stupid s****.

Flags and banners may not directly improve the atmosphere, but if you were on the pitch and saw a big surfer getting waved across saying "Pride Of The North East" or something like that then that would make you think, "f****** hell, i need to do my bit today!" That applys to the likes of money grabbing c***s like Kieron Dyer.

you misunderstood. the americanised bollocks comment is your whiney attitude towards anyone who doesn't think you will achieve anything, 'omfg why r u dissin us? don't you want the team to be succesfull? don't you want a loud stadium?' Of course I do, and I know how it happens, and I know it won't come from your whiney forced efforts. Seriously, how many more members have signed up since this got posted?

ftr I have cheered the team, in the really good times and the bad times in the good era, which is why I know what I'm talking about, and why I know you don't. Like I said, carry on lecturing me if you want, I've said my bit, and I also said you'd be doing your cause no good if you carried on exactly the way you are now

I don't wish to keep arguing with you, we're both fans alike. But i just find it amazing how you can go on the way you do, when you're no different from me really, and just for the record i have sang in the bad times of a good era, you can't say i'm patronising when you make comments like that.

With regards to our forum, that is not what my post initial post was about. The forum isn't essential, but people singing is. All i wanted from this post was people to give us a chance (which everyone except you are) and for them to help us spread the word.

By posting on here i may gain 1,2 maybes even 3 members, but nevertheless i have got more people trying to help us. The forums don't matter to us like they matter to you's, what we do in that stands is what counts, not posting our opinion on every matter on a forum.

And just for everyone else who has read this thread, i really do appreciate your comments, and i would like to think that you would be willing to help us if we were to contact the club about a singing section. We might get some sort of petition or something going soon, it seems a bit of a long shot but it may be worth a try.

Not being funny mate but your reputation is hardly anything to be proud of at the moment, people just don't take your lot seriously and most of that is down to the name.

If I were you lot I'd change the name back to BBTN, scrap your forum and ask the people in charge here if they can create a forum for you on here, that way you get to reach out to a much larger fan base than you would otherwise, if you're serious about making flags then I reckon you could get a fair few donations off members on here if they can see that you've got a half decent set up, I look at some of the flags Liverpool have and they really look great at games.

Just a suggestion for you.