Baines signs for Everton

Guest hindu times

TBH both Geremi and Nobby are very comfortable at right back. We also have alot of injuries in defence so the chances are that Taylor will end up playing there anyway but i personally don't think it will harm his progress playing at right back alongside three experianced centre backs. If anything it will do him the world of good learning from them, centre back would be ideal though.

Geremi, Nobby and Taylor can all put in a good shift at right back.  Agreed.  However, why not sign a right back so you don't need to rely on playing someone out of their natural position? - We all know that injuries will hit us next year, hopefully not as bad as recent years, so why rely on these players to cover Carr when we need them playing elsewhere on the pitch.

I just don't think we will get a right back in any time soon. I think Sams already decided that Carr, Nobby, Geremi, and Taylor plus other youngsters is enough for the time being. I agree that a right back should be on our long term list though.

Sol Campbell & Jamie Carragher spent a lot of their early years at right-back even though it was clear they were more suited to centre-back. Did them no harm whatsoever.

Exactly. Taylor is only 21 (I think). Will do him no harm whatsoever to have a couple of seasons in a lower risk position as he matures as a player.

He's maturing fine at CB, he doesn't need a spell at RB, it would be a pointless exercise that should only be carried out in a total emergency.

Maturing fine? Seemed to make a lot of mistakes last season for someone maturing "fine".

At that age defenders make mistakes, he's about as accomplished as any 20-21 year old CB in the league.

I think Smoggie has a point though, I think his development has stuttered over the last season or so. I expect Allardyce to put that right though.

It came on leaps and bounds last season, a perfect season for him ruined by a handful of stupid antics imo. Some of them 100% his fault, and i've berated him for that, some because he's been totally let down by the man beside him.

This season he'll become a rock, cut out the mistakes and cement himself in the heart of defence, putting him at RB is about the biggest mistake we could make in his career to date. I'm just glad NUFC is now run by someone with a clue, and it simply won't happen.

While I accept playing with Bramble didn't help I can't agree he came on 'leaps and bounds' last year.

Sol Campbell & Jamie Carragher spent a lot of their early years at right-back even though it was clear they were more suited to centre-back. Did them no harm whatsoever.

Sol didn't play much there, i always remember him from an early age being a CB. Carragher was classed as very average until his move to CB, which just proves my point in a nutshell.

Sol Campbell was definitely a right back when he broke into the Spurs team.

Sol didn't play much there, i always remember him from an early age being a CB. Carragher was classed as very average until his move to CB, which just proves my point in a nutshell.

Not long though.

Not long though.

Maybe not, but I've got a feeling he didn't start playing with any regularity until he was at least the age Taylor is now.

Not long though.

So Sol Campbell played at right back sometimes.  Why should that mean that Taylor should?

I'm sure i read somewhere that cacapa has played at right back before? If so:

cacapa, taylor/dragutinovic, rozehnal, baines/dragutinovic is how we could be shaping up next season. Seems a fairly decent lineup to me if this baines rumour is true. If all the current supposed deals we're lining up come off i don't think there will be too much more strengthening needed, at least unitil january anyway once we've seen how the team is performing together

Not long though.

So Sol Campbell played at right back sometimes.  Why should that mean that Taylor should?

Because although it's not his best position, he's still probably better than Carr there, while Cacapa & Dragutinovic are better centre-backs than what Carr is a full-back, therefore we'd be stronger as a team.

Exactly. Taylor is only 21 (I think). Will do him no harm whatsoever to have a couple of seasons in a lower risk position as he matures as a player.

He's maturing fine at CB, he doesn't need a spell at RB, it would be a pointless exercise that should only be carried out in a total emergency.

Maturing fine? Seemed to make a lot of mistakes last season for someone maturing "fine".

At that age defenders make mistakes, he's about as accomplished as any 20-21 year old CB in the league.

I think Smoggie has a point though, I think his development has stuttered over the last season or so. I expect Allardyce to put that right though.

It came on leaps and bounds last season, a perfect season for him ruined by a handful of stupid antics imo. Some of them 100% his fault, and i've berated him for that, some because he's been totally let down by the man beside him.

This season he'll become a rock, cut out the mistakes and cement himself in the heart of defence, putting him at RB is about the biggest mistake we could make in his career to date. I'm just glad NUFC is now run by someone with a clue, and it simply won't happen.

While I accept playing with Bramble didn't help I can't agree he came on 'leaps and bounds' last year.

Good players will make it despite not because of who they play with. Taylor was appalling before xmas. Sam seems to have him sussed. Lower peoples expectations simply because the kid doesnt need it or deseve it.

If he plays like he did at the beginning of last season he will be on the bench at best hopefully.

The 'leaps and bound' comment presumably comes the pretty star jump he did against Man Utd when he should have been attacking the ball?

Not long though.

Sol settled at some point, maybe later than taylor and went on to have a great career.

Carragher was left out on the right until nearly mid 20's, and his NT career stalled because of it at the very least. Most people thought he was just average until moved to CB when Henchoz fuked off.

Taylor is there now, and can do a job now, and the more we play him the better he will become.

I stand by it he came on leaps and bounds, there were times is was superb, and thats great for someone so young. Expect less of the bad and more of the good this season, Rozy looks like a perfect reliable partner for him, and Cacapa someone who once settled can teach him a few finer points of the game later on.

Good players will make it despite not because of who they play with. Taylor was appalling before xmas. Sam seems to have him sussed. Lower peoples expectations simply because the kid doesnt need it or deseve it.

If he plays like he did at the beginning of last season he will be on the bench at best hopefully.

The 'leaps and bound' comment presumably comes the pretty star jump he did against Man Utd when he should have been attacking the ball?

Who wasn't appalling before xmas? He was one of out better players even then. Shaky start i agree with, but got better and better, the daft things will go away for next season, he will become a great player, i hope we keep the faith with him. So many people wanting to hate him because he's a local lad as they think he gets too much praise, its sickening.

Guest 22bnw

Sol Campbell signed for Spurs as a striker, I'm sure?

EDIT: Well he was in their youth academy. He was definitely a striker- scored on his debut too. Then played upfront and all across the back four in the next few seasons.

But the point is he still makes mistakes, if he was to make them at right back it wouldn't be so hazardous as if he made it in the middle as he can be covered.

Being honest if we got Drago I'd be tempted to play him and Rozenhal as first choice so Taylor would be on the bench anyway.

Sol Campbell signed for Spurs as a striker, I'm sure?

EDIT: Well he was in their youth academy. He was definitely a striker- scored on his debut too. Then played upfront and all across the back four in the next few seasons.

Wiki fuking tastic tbh.  O0

But the point is he still makes mistakes, if he was to make them at right back it wouldn't be so hazardous as if he made it in the middle as he can be covered.

Being honest if we got Drago I'd be tempted to play him and Rozenhal as first choice so Taylor would be on the bench anyway.

Or give him a season where he belongs to see what he can do. I'm more open to Drago & Rozy though.

Or give him a season where he belongs to see what he can do. I'm more open to Drago & Rozy though.

We've given him a season where he belongs and he make mistakes, he still has bags of potential but the only way he's going to sort himself out is by playing games with experienced defenders, you could say for him to get experience at CB but if we've got potentially a better partnership at the club then it would be a waste keeping them apart just to accommodate Taylor.

Stick him at right back for a season or two, if anything it'll improve his ability on the ball and whenever I've seen him play there for us and England under 21's he's looked comfortable enough, best solution for everyone IMO as there isn't any rightbacks that stand out at the moment anyway.

Guest firetotheworks

Who wasn't appalling before xmas? He was one of out better players even then. Shaky start i agree with, but got better and better, the daft things will go away for next season, he will become a great player, i hope we keep the faith with him. So many people wanting to hate him because he's a local lad as they think he gets too much praise, its sickening.

theres s lot of people loving him because hes local and under appreciated too. Its just hype leading to people going too far and under-rating him. Its been the same with Beckham throughout his career in my opinion, people going over-board and then a reaction against a player thats totally overboard. I think the answers somewhere in the middle. I dont agree that he came on 'leaps and bounds' last season but he is getting better. I cant see anything in him that suggests he'll be up there with Terry, Carragher and Rio but who knows at this stage really. I'd say theres every chance he can get to Ledley King level.

We've given him a season where he belongs and he make mistakes, he still has bags of potential but the only way he's going to sort himself out is by playing games with experienced defenders, you could say for him to get experience at CB but if we've got potentially a better partnership at the club then it would be a waste keeping them apart just to accommodate Taylor.

Stick him at right back for a season or two, if anything it'll improve his ability on the ball and whenever I've seen him play there for us and England under 21's he's looked comfortable enough, best solution for everyone IMO as there isn't any rightbacks that stand out at the moment anyway.

We gave him a season alongside some of the worst defenders in NUFC's history. It wasn't until the re emergence of Butt did he get any protection through the middle, down the sides were weak as piss and put immense pressure on the CB's.

That's going to hopefully change, i hope he's in the centre being the star, considering what everyone else at the back was doing last season, Taylor in comparison hardly put a foot wrong.

As for Baines, decent player but not as good as some suggest, I'd rather we tried to sign Bridge even though he's injured and play Drago (if we sign him) at LB until he returns from injury.

Wouldn't it be better to make his mistakes out wide though, and let a much more accomplished (at the moment) CB do a better job? Then when he's learned his trade in a couple of years (when, may I add, he's still young for a CB), he can revert into the centre and be a top top centre back, that hasn't harmed the team as he was produced.

If there were some serious flaws with him, it should of been done with Bramble after season 1, but it wasn't. Taylor doesn't need this, he only needs to have more games in a settled back line coached by a good manager and get another years worth of experience behind him. He knows what his mistakes last season were, he won't make them again. He's changed a lot, and will keep changing, we need to keep pushing him forward an not sideways, we've took the biggest risk, we've almost fully blooded him at CB, lets not push him to the side now.

You're not going to listen anyway, so i'm not going to bother anymore.

As for Baines, decent player but not as good as some suggest, I'd rather we tried to sign Bridge even though he's injured and play Drago (if we sign him) at LB until he returns from injury.

I think we should buy Baines and play him in the centre, won't do him any harm and he's only young.

;)

I agree. Would by no means be disappointed if we ended up with Baines though. To be honest this speculation could well just be coming from the agent to try and drive a deal through with Everton more quickly - I'd be a little surprised if we now moved for him having waited for so long.