Baines signs for Everton

Guest hindu times

Signing Baines makes sense if we are getting Drago. We will have the potential and experience for which ever game we need them for.

Wes Brown would be an excellent addition aswell coving RB and CB.

Id wager we dont end up with any of them. But fingers crossed anyways.

Not sure we're likely to get Brown, Man Utd haven't bought any defenders so far have they? If not I would think they's be reluctant to let him go, he did make a view appearances last season.

The two LBs would be pretty much the best we could hope for in terms of solving that problem. One young and developing the other an experienced campaigner. Would really like to see these two in, although the Everton thing is a potential reason that it might not happen.

Wonder why its taken so long for us do go after Baines, if its true that is, with Everton and Man City both chasing him too its not going to be easy.We should have bid weeks ago.

I wonder why?

This smells like agent-driven bollocks to me tbh. It's pretty much common knowledge that Baines wants to stay in the North-West and play for Everton (reason given for turning down the Mackems). With them dragging their heels and trying to get him on the cheap, safe in the knowledge he wants to play for them, wouldn't suprise me at all if his agent or someone close to him put out a "Newcastle are interested" story to get Everton to hurry up and agree a fee so he can sign for them. Hope i'm wrong, would be a great signing in a position of desparate need.

Wonder why its taken so long for us do go after Baines, if its true that is, with Everton and Man City both chasing him too its not going to be easy.We should have bid weeks ago.

Because Allardyce preferred Silvestre?

It does say that in the Chronicle article if you read it.

This smells like agent-driven bollocks to me tbh. It's pretty much common knowledge that Baines wants to stay in the North-West and play for Everton (reason given for turning down the Mackems). With them dragging their heels and trying to get him on the cheap, safe in the knowledge he wants to play for them, wouldn't suprise me at all if his agent or someone close to him put out a "Newcastle are interested" story to get Everton to hurry up and agree a fee so he can sign for them. Hope i'm wrong, would be a great signing in a position of desparate need.

It was only Keane who said he wanted to stay in the North West wasn't it?

Seen this on TotalFootballForums:

As some of you may know, Leigton is my second cousin and latest on his situation is, Newcastle have offered 6 million for him he hasn't been up to tyneside for talks but he will if Everton don't match that bid in the near future. He favours Everton but as seems to be the Everton way we can't afford the price.

Don't no how much truth is in it like.

I reckon he is lying, i reckon he forgot about the LB position and just made up the Silvestre stuff so that it doesnt look like he forgot about it. I reckon he was on the bog having a shit yesterday and suddenly went 'fucking hell, Left Back, i knew i'd forgotten something'

I reckon he is lying, i reckon he forgot about the LB position and just made up the Silvestre stuff so that it doesnt look like he forgot about it. I reckon he was on the bog having a s*** yesterday and suddenly went 'f****** hell, Left Back, i knew i'd forgotten something'

That sounds abit far fetched to me.

I reckon he is lying, i reckon he forgot about the LB position and just made up the Silvestre stuff so that it doesnt look like he forgot about it. I reckon he was on the bog having a shit yesterday and suddenly went 'fucking hell, Left Back, i knew i'd forgotten something'

Roeder got sacked at the end of the season mate ;)

Guest Knightrider

Going back to the "play Taylor at RB debate", I think he now needs played at CB as he's at a vital stage of his development. What people seem to forget about the likes of Carragher and Campbell who were also used at full-back a lot, that isn't why they turned into top CB's, those two players in particular have both enjoyed the coaching of very sound defensive minded coaches (Houllier and Rafa, George Graham and Sven) and have been guided by very experienced defenders in their careers such as Hyypia for Carragher and Popescu, Adams for Sol Campbell. All of which Taylor has never had here at Newcastle. Yet.

Regarding Leighton Baines, it wouldn't surprise me if his agent/Wigan are using our name to try and drive a better deal for themselves respectively. If Big Sam really wanted him, we'd have been in for him from the off surely. Mind, our late approach could be down to failing to attract Heinze/Riise - i.e. Sam's now working from his plan B list, as the signings of these new linked defenders indicate.

Guest Phil K
This Drago bloke can also play CB I believe? If that's the case, I'd take them both.

Agree.

Wouldn't it be nice to have defenders who actually play most of a season and have ability ?

Can't recall the last time this was true....

Roeder got sacked at the end of the season mate ;)

Should've been the previous season..... :undecided:

I reckon he is lying, i reckon he forgot about the LB position and just made up the Silvestre stuff so that it doesnt look like he forgot about it. I reckon he was on the bog having a s*** yesterday and suddenly went 'f****** hell, Left Back, i knew i'd forgotten something'

That sounds abit far fetched to me.

I bet Big sam does really big shits. Plenty of time to think about it.

HTT, i sort of agree but Taylor can play at RB if needed, which is nice to know. 

Guest fraser

It does but I have to say I prefer Baines. Silvestre is vastly more experienced but hasn't played that well for a season and half, possibly more(?).

Yeh, i agree, i dont think he'll be signing for us, if Allardyce wanted him am sure he'd have gone for him along time ago, its common knowledge that Baines has been available, from the looks of it, SA is after an imposing LB, hence the reason we are being linked with imposing physical left backs like Silvestre, Drago Heinze etc...Baines doesn't really fit into that category.