José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Thing is, we have about 6 or 7 players who are good enough to play for "better clubs". How many do we need before we become that better club ourselves?

A very valid question and one worth putting to Ashley seeing as we had one more of even greater significance than most in January.

Thing is, we have about 6 or 7 players who are good enough to play for "better clubs". How many do we need before we become that better club ourselves?

If we had kept Carroll, brought in a good striker (Gameiro/El Arabi for example) and someone like Kranjcar - whilst shifting some of the deadwood (so net spend of about £11m), we would have become one of those ''better clubs imo''. Depressing.

It's not about needing players, per se, it's about needing ambition.  Players like Enrique will sign on as long as our club ambitions match their personal ones.  Enrique is good enough to be a regular Spanish international, but only if he's regularly playing for a club that wants to (and - crucially - has a plan for) challenge for honours.  As yet, we don't have that plan.  We have a plan to stay up, and we certainly have a plan to make money from our assets, but we don't yet have that plan for honours.  So Enrique will probably see his future now at a more ambitious club, since he himself is growing more ambitious.  

I don't think it's as big an issue for Tiote as he can be an Ivorian regular doing exactly what he's doing with us.  And he may still feel he needs a year or two more seasoning before he thinks about a move.  But it's deadly serious for Enrique now.  

And I'm sure hearing about the massive pay packet Carroll's getting doesn't hurt Enrique's desire to move either.

If we had kept Carroll, brought in a good striker (Gameiro/El Arabi for example) and someone like Kranjcar - whilst shifting some of the deadwood (so net spend of about £11m), we would have become one of those ''better clubs imo''. Depressing.

Well we could still bring in a good striker, and some other bodies.

I really think the massive negativity at the moment basically boils down to the Carroll sale. Before that must people thought things were looking up.

It's not about needing players, per se, it's about needing ambition.  Players like Enrique will sign on as long as our club ambitions match their personal ones.  Enrique is good enough to be a regular Spanish international, but only if he's regularly playing for a club that wants to (and - crucially - has a plan for) challenge for honours.  As yet, we don't have that plan.  We have a plan to stay up, and we certainly have a plan to make money from our assets, but we don't yet have that plan for honours.  So Enrique will probably see his future now at a more ambitious club, since he himself is growing more ambitious. 

I don't think it's as big an issue for Tiote as he can be an Ivorian regular doing exactly what he's doing with us.  And he may still feel he needs a year or two more seasoning before he thinks about a move.  But it's deadly serious for Enrique now. 

And I'm sure hearing about the massive pay packet Carroll's getting doesn't hurt Enrique's desire to move either.

I don't even think we lack ambition as such, it's just that any success we achieve will have to be within strict financial limits. And that means that in the Premier League it will be very difficult.

Well we could still bring in a good striker, and some other bodies.

I really think the massive negativity at the moment basically boils down to the Carroll sale. Before that must people thought things were looking up.

Some did, some didn't. Personally, I thought the ones who did lacked a certain amount of sense, but still. Even the more neutral had strong suspicions about what would take place in January - thought it provided a testing ground.

Thing is, a lot of the ones who did were clinging to the idea that Pardew being brought in, as a supposed mate of the Board and on a long contract, along with his quotes about his door-knocking skills, was a signal that Ashley was changing his financial strategy. Wrongly.

I understand those that say they too would have accepted a £35 million bid for the player, but as fans, we would reinvest that money into the squad. Will Ashley? We can only wait and see. Selling Carroll has improved our financial standing, but it has shown other clubs that we will sell our best players and that ultimately the club lacks ambition.

I understand those that say they too would have accepted a £35 million bid for the player, but as fans, we would reinvest that money into the squad. Will Ashley? We can only wait and see. Selling Carroll has improved our financial standing, but it has shown other clubs that we will sell our best players and that ultimately the club lacks ambition.

I don't think the club selling Carroll for £35m shows that they lack ambition.

Failing to reinvest that money back into the squad will show a lack of ambition.

Guest EastEndGeordie

TBH selling a player for the all time british record signing of an english player doesn't demonstrate that we'd sell our best players due to a lack of ambition. It shows that if you want our best players, you better be willing to cough up the dough to pay for them

Failing to reinvest that money back into the squad will show a lack of ambition.

True, that is kind of what I'm trying to get at. I just don't think they will reinvest the a lot of the money, which is why I am bitter about the sale.

TBH selling a player for the all time british record signing of an english player doesn't demonstrate that we'd sell our best players due to a lack of ambition. It shows that if you want our best players, you better be willing to cough up the dough to pay for them

We'll see what happens with Enrique and Tiote in the summer ...

Guest EastEndGeordie

True, that is kind of what I'm trying to get at. I just don't think they will reinvest the a lot of the money, which is why I am bitter about the sale.

I agree tottally with the sentiment of distrust that you have, I have it too. But there a number of reasons I'm certain that they won't leave 1) Where are they going to go? All the top teams have it covered 2)Even if a top team do want them as benchwarmers, are these teams gonna pay over ten million minimum for a benchwarmer?

Mind you if we do go down they'll be gone as well as the fact that I don't hold high our chances of keeping them if we don't bring any players in.

Like Spurs did when they signed Gazza.

Guest EastEndGeordie

Like Spurs did when they signed Gazza.

As much as I love Gazza I can honestly say that I hope Carroll goes down the same route and becomes an alcoholic whose career is cut short.

Fairy nuff. I agree on the reinvesting point btw.

I agree tottally with the sentiment of distrust that you have, I have it too. But there a number of reasons I'm certain that they won't leave 1) Where are they going to go? All the top teams have it covered 2)Even if a top team do want them as benchwarmers, are these teams gonna pay over ten million minimum for a benchwarmer?

Mind you if we do go down they'll be gone as well as the fact that I don't hold high our chances of keeping them if we don't bring any players in.

Hypothetically speaking ...

Evra leaves Man Utd for a Barcelona/R. Madrid/Inter type club for £8 million. Guess who they come to first? Liverpool shed Konchesky ... they come for Enrique. Barcelona look for a long-term replacement for Abidal (plus he's Spanish).

Man Utd finally get rid of Hargreaves, Tiote could be the athletic DM they've needed for years. Abramovich continues to pump transfer funds into Chelsea, so they bid £15m. West Ham stay up, and Redknapp finally gives up on Parker, guess which DM they come for.

Call my viewpoint grim, but with these bastards as owners I've lost all optimism for this club. Just think we're going to become a conveyor belt for talent, Ashley's cash cow.

Hypothetically speaking ...

Evra leaves Man Utd for a Barcelona/R. Madrid/Inter type club for £8 million. Guess who they come to first? Liverpool shed Konchesky ... they come for Enrique. Barcelona look for a long-term replacement for Abidal (plus he's Spanish).

Man Utd finally get rid of Hargreaves, Tiote could be the athletic DM they've needed for years. Abramovich continues to pump transfer funds into Chelsea, so they bid £15m. West Ham stay up, and Redknapp finally gives up on Parker, guess which DM they come for.

Call my viewpoint grim, but with these bastards as owners I've lost all optimism for this club. Just think we're going to become a conveyor belt for talent, Ashley's cash cow.

Do you know what a cash cow is?

Ashley will be lucky if he ever breaks even let alone makes a profit out of Newcastle United.

We're hardly Ashley's cash cow FFS, he hasn't made any money out of us and stands very little chance of ever doing so.

Let see how much makes when he sell up ay. Because nobody would of thought Shep & Hally would of made that much loot when they originally bought there shares for what now seems very little.

We're hardly Ashley's cash cow FFS, he hasn't made any money out of us and stands very little chance of ever doing so.

True enough, that won't stop him doing everything he possibly can to try and make it happen though