A slight worry

madras

Barton, Enrique and Rozenhal all have their peak years ahead of them still, and Geremi and Smith are only entering their peak years now.

Not a worry at all for me.

Rozehnal is older than Smith btw, at 27 I'd class him as entering his peak years.

Defenders generally peak at an older age though.

You should know this, Greg :laugh:

I do know this, my point was that I wouldn't class Rozehnal in the same bracket as Enrique. Rozehnal is just coming into his peak years now imo.

Was a joke regarding the fact that Shak potentially got this opinion from Football Manager 2007.

Something you're very well-versed in!

Or maybe Shak just watches football in general, eh?

Not played FM since the 2006 version either. ;)

Barton, Enrique and Rozenhal all have their peak years ahead of them still, and Geremi and Smith are only entering their peak years now.

thats the slight worry,all first team players,and yes i know we needed a lot of work there,but how many youngsters did he bring into the bolton fold from outside.

i'm not saying it's wrong,just wondering if his scouts are so good could we get them younger and save money and drill them to the NUFC way earlier

Time will tell, I'm happy he's building us a good team for the now though.

Finding good young players to bring through will come in time, in Sam we trust. :D

but you can't really remember bolton being interested in the next big thing can you,and his thinking on krul(too inexperienced to be on the bench)slight worries like i say................you know when you think too deep about something and give yourself a headache ?

Probably because "the next big thing" would be out of Bolton's budget, although he set up the deal for them to sign Blerim Dzemaili this summer, he also brought in Vaz Te when he was a kid, brought Nolan, Hunt and O'Brien through the youth team and signed up Ben Haim when he was an unknown 22 year old.

2006 probably had the same thing in, so ner. Cannot tell them apart at the best of times, should have just said "FM" in the original post, it did cross my mind that adding the year would cause me some problems - and so it has been proven.

Sigh.

Anyway, this "slight worry" is nonsense brought upon the author because of an over-active psyche.

thats the slight worry,all first team players,and yes i know we needed a lot of work there,but how many youngsters did he bring into the bolton fold from outside.

i'm not saying it's wrong,just wondering if his scouts are so good could we get them younger and save money and drill them to the NUFC way earlier

Finding good young players to bring through will come in time, in Sam we trust. :D

but you can't really remember bolton being interested in the next big thing can you,and his thinking on krul(too inexperienced to be on the bench)slight worries like i say................you know when you think too deep about something and give yourself a headache ?

Probably because "the next big thing" would be out of Bolton's budget, although he set up the deal for them to sign Blerim Dzemaili this summer, he also brought in Vaz Te when he was a kid, brought Nolan, Hunt and O'Brien through the youth team and signed up Ben Haim when he was an unknown 22 year old.

and he's been there 8 years isnt it

Which suggests Bolton's youth system is poor, mainly because all of the better youngsters will be snapped up by bigger clubs in the area.

Which suggests Bolton's youth system is poor, mainly because all of the better youngsters will be snapped up by bigger clubs in the area.

can you only get the youngsters in your area ? isnt that only academy rules?

Nothing to worry about whatsoever.

We'll invest in youngsters like Sam's already said and this team will around for a good 2-3 years, with January/Summer windows passing by, youth players growing into the better setups and all of the players receiving better medical assistance than before.

There'll be ups and downs like always but its all looking to be in safe hands with plenty of common sense thrown in too.

Just keep looking back to the Roeder days and give yourself a slap, we're truly in a much, much stronger position than ever before. Enjoy it and stay positive, don't look for negatives all the time (even though I don't blame you for whats happened under previous managers)

You lot are worrying for the sake of worrying  :yikes:

Unless you go abroad then only youngsters within a certain radius can come into the academy.

I'm not sure what you're expecting? The likes of Fabregas and Pique to walk out on Barcelona and sign for Bolton? As a club they have no money and are not an attractive club for many youngsters, the quality of young player who would be attracted there are not going to be anywhere near the quality of older player they can get on a free transfer.

Mort has spoke about revamping the academy here and I can see him bringing in someone from outside the club to do that.

Unless you go abroad then only youngsters within a certain radius can come into the academy.

I'm not sure what you're expecting? The likes of Fabregas and Pique to walk out on Barcelona and sign for Bolton? As a club they have no money and are not an attractive club for many youngsters, the quality of young player who would be attracted there are not going to be anywhere near the quality of older player they can get on a free transfer.

Mort has spoke about revamping the academy here and I can see him bringing in someone from outside the club to do that.

look at the young players other clubs in a smiliar position to bolton brought through.....west ham,man city,boro,all clubs where the kids should supposedly go to the bigger regional clubs

Guest FlapjackJoe

To be honest, Big Sam did say a few times that he will build the team in the longer term (i.e. recruiting youngsters), but the only way to do that is to win games in the shorter term (which would imply playing ugly football when we have to, and recruiting experienced players at the top of their game instead of bleeding youngsters).

That way, an experienced team can get is higher in the league and hopefully back into Europe, and we can attract bigger names and youngsters with bigger potential.  Makes perfect sense to me.

And, yes, he did the same at Bolton - for years, he had his "Dad's Army", where the average age of the squad was 92 (the Bolton zimmerframe company did great business!), but over time he reduced the average age of the squad and attracted decent youngsters like Vaz Té because he could offer them UEFA Cup football, etc., etc.

Never doubt Big Sam!  ;-)

look at the young players other clubs in a smiliar position to bolton brought through.....west ham,man city,boro,all clubs where the kids should supposedly go to the bigger regional clubs

West Ham have a great reputation for bringing young players through, people will send there kids there because of that reputation, Man City have only had a few top players and Boro have only had Downing who's been any good.

You seem to be picking holes for the sake of it.

West Ham have a great reputation for bringing young players through, people will send there kids there because of that reputation, Man City have only had a few top players and Boro have only had Downing who's been any good.

You seem to be picking holes for the sake of it.

nope,just allardyces reputation at bolton and his treatment of tim krul. i'd like to hope he is thinking beyond now.like the title says "a slight worry"...i'm not wanting him hung...........................yet >:D

What about his treatment of Krul?

well,even when he's palyed for us in europe(very well) and he could bring him back from a couple of weeks from his loan,allardyce says no,he's too inexperienced to be on the bench in the premier league

well,even when he's palyed for us in europe(very well) and he could bring him back from a couple of weeks from his loan,allardyce says no,he's too inexperienced to be on the bench in the premier league

I don't see anything wrong with that, he's going to learn more about football playing every week for Falkirk than sat on our bench, no point him bringing him back for a few weeks and hoping we can send him back to Scotland after that.

I don't see anything wrong with that, he's going to learn more about football playing every week for Falkirk than sat on our bench, no point him bringing him back for a few weeks and hoping we can send him back to Scotland after that.

don't you think he'd learn more on a premier bench for two weeks then playing fro 2 1/2 months in scotland than playing for 3 months up there

don't you think he'd learn more on a premier bench for two weeks then playing fro 2 1/2 months in scotland than playing for 3 months up there

Well I don't think Given will be out for all that long and Harper seems fit n ready so I doubt he'd get more than reserve games. He'll get his chance with us soon enough and Sam and Krul both know that as he's of such high calibre

Not really no, not to mention it being unsettling for the lad coming back for such a short period of time for the sake of it, if Harper got injured then I've no doubt he'd be recalled but I don't see the point otherwise.

No not at all. Krul needs to play first team football to progress. He gets that at Falkirk.

No and it is not as simple as that.

We can't just recall him, due to SPL rules we would have to make a case for special circumstances.

His signings are OK for now - we need to get some tangible success in League or Cups so that we can start to compete for younger , top class players as they have more clubs after them - we just have to trust Sam's judgment until the end of the Season.