If N Rock go bust........................

Rob W

Guest elbee909

NUFC would be bloody obviously sponsored by Sports Direct if NR fell through.  That's what I'd do anyway.  Some might argue that would be silly due to the lack of new sponsorship money coming in, but I'd like to think that the value of the exposure to Sports Direct would more than offset that lack of funds.  Hopefully we'd end up with money via Sports Direct... :)

But if he owns the club, surely theres nowt to stop him putting advertising hoardings around the ground anyway, to promote Sports Direct?

Club/Shirt sponsorship brings in massive revenue, so he aint gonna want to lose out on that, just to promote his sport shops on our shirts!

There's a difference between hoardings, and club/shirt sponsorship, though.  One that's worth paying a hell of a lot more for.  Every shirt that's sold, having your brand associated with it?  That's orders of magnitude more exposure than advertising hoardings - it becomes almost a direct association with a brand that millions of people are already passionate about.

Like I've said elsewhere, the benefits of the sponsorship would go directly to his own company, Sports Direct, which would go on to be more successful as a result.  I find it odd that people (correctly) state that it's possible to bring in lots of revenue via sponsorship, but then dismiss his plans to promote his multi-billion pound sports shop empire as a bunch of sports shops.  Sports Direct are all about brand acquisition, don't be under any illusions that NUFC don't somehow come into that.

Guest johnson293

NUFC would be bloody obviously sponsored by Sports Direct if NR fell through.  That's what I'd do anyway.  Some might argue that would be silly due to the lack of new sponsorship money coming in, but I'd like to think that the value of the exposure to Sports Direct would more than offset that lack of funds.  Hopefully we'd end up with money via Sports Direct... :)

But if he owns the club, surely theres nowt to stop him putting advertising hoardings around the ground anyway, to promote Sports Direct?

Club/Shirt sponsorship brings in massive revenue, so he aint gonna want to lose out on that, just to promote his sport shops on our shirts!

There's a difference between hoardings, and club/shirt sponsorship, though.  One that's worth paying a hell of a lot more for.  Every shirt that's sold, having your brand associated with it?  That's orders of magnitude more exposure than advertising hoardings - it becomes almost a direct association with a brand that millions of people are already passionate about.

Like I've said elsewhere, the benefits of the sponsorship would go directly to his own company, Sports Direct, which would go on to be more successful as a result.  I find it odd that people (correctly) state that it's possible to bring in lots of revenue via sponsorship, but then dismiss his plans to promote his multi-billion pound sports shop empire as a bunch of sports shops.  Sports Direct are all about brand acquisition, don't be under any illusions that NUFC don't somehow come into that.

The point I was making though - Shirt/Club sponsorship brings in massive revenue - surely if Sports Direct became our shirt sponsor, then that company - another of Ashley's companies would have to put a similar amount of money into Newcastle united, otherwise the club are ultimately losing out on that revenue?

Would he really want to do that - whereas inground advertising could probably be added with little cost to him/another of his companies without losing the club any revenue from shirt sponsorship?

Ultimately, he will want Newcastle United to be successful, and generate its own revenue without him having to fund it - hence the club could bring that revenue in from another company, and he could still bring in advertising revenue in for Sports Direct, by other means.

Anyway, having Northern Rock on a shirt hasn't made me 'passionate' about a local building society, or made me want ot bank there, take out a loan/mortgage with them!!!

Guest elbee909

The point I was making though - Shirt/Club sponsorship brings in massive revenue - surely if Sports Direct became our shirt sponsor, then that company - another of Ashley's companies would have to put a similar amount of money into Newcastle united, otherwise the club are ultimately losing out on that revenue?

I'd argue that Ashley and co. would see SD sponsoring NUFC as a way of increasing the profitability of their main business, which would in turn lead to those profits being able to be allocated to Newcastle United.  I'm not saying this is a nailed on cert, but could definitely understand it if it went this way.  I think the idea would be that the club would ultimately be better off by SD sponsorship, due to the knock on effects of the benefit to the sister company.

Would he really want to do that - whereas inground advertising could probably be added with little cost to him/another of his companies without losing the club any revenue from shirt sponsorship?

I think this sort of opportunity is one of the reasons he'll have bought into the club.  He can do the hoardings thing anyway.  Hell, could rename the stadium 'Sports Direct Stadium' if he wanted to... ;)

Anyway, having Northern Rock on a shirt hasn't made me 'passionate' about a local building society, or made me want ot bank there, take out a loan/mortgage with them!!!

The passion is more affiliated with NUFC, than Northern Rock.  Now you're downplaying sponsortship deals while at the same time claiming they bring in massive revenue.  Well, there's a damn good reason they bring in revenue for the club, and that's due to them working rather well...

Guest elbee909

the people who  say sponsorship is GREAt tend to be the people selling it TBH

I'll bet you anything his plan is based on soaking someone else

It's possible. It's a brand association thing though and it's worth more than many people might think.

Guest johnson293

The passion is more affiliated with NUFC, than Northern Rock.  Now you're downplaying sponsortship deals while at the same time claiming they bring in massive revenue.  Well, there's a damn good reason they bring in revenue for the club, and that's due to them working rather well...

Not downplaying it at all - a massive, multi-million sponsorship deal is clearly good for Newcastle United, but means nowt to me personally!

Just because any company sponsored the club, wouldn't necessarily make me suddenly go out and use/buy one of their products any more than normal.

But, it is obvious that the sponsorship money would be very important/signifigant to the club - and yes, I would want that for the club.

10,000 local people would lose their jobs for a start!

The shares were at their highest ever (over £12) in February because there were rumours of a takeover that never happened. Typical of shares. A rumour of a takeover gets the share price sky high, profits warnings have them plummit. It won't happen anyway but if Northern Rock were in trouble one of the big banks would probably swallow them up.

This reminds me of when people thought Northern Rock 'gave' money to NUFC to buy Owen. Could you imagine a bank trying to explain to its shareholders that they had given money to a football club to buy players? Excluding sponsor money, the only way NUFC will have got any money out of NR (or any other bank) is with interest being charged on a loan.

I work for NR and we are very quiet at the moment but apparently all banks are experiencing the same thing. The buy to let bubble seems to have gone pop, and with interst rates rising quite a bit this year people seem to be holding back a bit

If anything is about to happen with Northern Rock,you'll be the first to know.

Bloke who to sits next to me at home games is very high up at Northern Rock and was part of the deal that got us sponsored by them.

Do you sit in the directors box? Platinum club?1892? Northern Rock box? If you say the corner of the Gallowgate or up with Ultra's I am going to doubt your "very high up at Northern Rock" source.

The shares were at their highest ever (over £12) in February because there were rumours of a takeover that never happened. Typical of shares. A rumour of a takeover gets the share price sky high, profits warnings have them plummit. It won't happen anyway but if Northern Rock were in trouble one of the big banks would probably swallow them up.

This reminds me of when people thought Northern Rock 'gave' money to NUFC to buy Owen. Could you imagine a bank trying to explain to its shareholders that they had given money to a football club to buy players? Excluding sponsor money, the only way NUFC will have got any money out of NR (or any other bank) is with interest being charged on a loan.

There wouldn't necessarly be interest attached to it - NR could have an agreement which entitles them to x% of any money NUFC make out of marketing involving Owen or a % interest based on sell on fee.

I know through my work that Swansea have a similar arrangement with their sponsors

There wouldn't necessarly be interest attached to it - NR could have an agreement which entitles them to x% of any money NUFC make out of marketing involving Owen or a % interest based on sell on fee.

I know through my work that Swansea have a similar arrangement with their sponsors

How would NUFC calculate the % increment in reveunes attributed to the Owen marketing campaign?

Bit more about Northern Rock can be found here. Took me a few reads to understand it all but the news about Rock doesn't sound good.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/08/15/cnrock115.xml&DCMP=EMC-mcn_15082007

Not so sure its that bad. The dip in global markets last week has been massive news and there are basically lots of articles discussing the business's that have been hit or exposed to risks by the dip. Its the US credit market thats fucked and Northern Rock uses that market in its own businness.  They may revise their profit for this year but once the credit markets get back in line, they should be fine.

Northern Rock will just become more vunerable to takeover if their share price continues to fall. The sonsorship deal will likely continue with the new parent company should they be swallowed up.

As for Ashley putting sports direct on our shirts i can't see why he'd want to. Yes it would be increased exosure but sports direct are a plc and ashley only owns 57%, he owns nufc outright and it'd be far better to get his/our mits on a massive wedge from some 3rd party to help rebuild the club/help repay his investment. He already gets loads of free marketing as everytime we/he is mentioned sports direct get a free plug too.

Sports Direct are in enough shit as it is without getting involved in deals like that. Or perhaps it could be a way to save a few bob and improve his reputation. In all honesty though it seems the market is upset at his lack of communication, the massive drop in share price (over valued at float?) and the fact they've issued a proft warning at their first results since floatation, unorthodox deals like that would only cement the view that sports direct should not be a public company.

If anything is about to happen with Northern Rock,you'll be the first to know.

Bloke who to sits next to me at home games is very high up at Northern Rock and was part of the deal that got us sponsored by them.

Do you sit in the directors box? Platinum club?1892? Northern Rock box? If you say the corner of the Gallowgate or up with Ultra's I am going to doubt your "very high up at Northern Rock" source.

Blatantly a call centre worker who has just been made team leader :lol:

they don't have team leaders @ N Rock

there are the Board, the execs and the slaves

I heard someone from a major financial institution complaining once that they could never get anyone to call them back from the Rock - it was only later they found out there was NO middle management

they don't have team leaders @ N Rock

there are the Board, the execs and the slaves

I heard someone from a major financial institution complaining once that they could never get anyone to call them back from the Rock - it was only later they found out there was NO middle management

That's not true. Anyway, all the banks are taking a hammering at the moment. RBS shares have dropped even more than NR shares.

• 4 weeks later...