Message to the Doom and Gloom Merchants

Decky

What have the doom merchants said to get everyone's backs up anyway?

Apart from pointing out how s*** we looked yesterday?

Saying that things need to to be changed after 2 games. We did look s*** at times yesterday but that doesnt mean that any sort of football philosophy needs to be changed, just needs practicing in my opinion, were going in the right direction.Its not all about people saying we were s***, thats fair enough, its people saying we're a class act after one game and then saying things need to be changed after we draw against Villa.

Things do need to be changed though, a midfield of Butt, Geremi and Smith at home is shocking and creates nothing, at least at Bolton Allardyce had decent ball players in midfield in Speed and Campo but the lads we've got will create very little.

It was one game against one team. Last week in one game against one team it worked swimmingly, does that mean it will always work? No, but one game where it doesnt work doesnt mean it will never work. Theres the kneejerk youre looking for, rather than the jury still being out, which I think it should be.

If you noticed I did say at home, teams come here and like Villa yesterday are happy to sit back and hit us on the break, that means it's up to us as a team to create things and try to break them down, plenty of times yesterday one of our centre midfielders had the ball and turned around and past it backwards when they should have been looking to move it forward, it was like having Jenas and Parker back in the team and it isn't good enough.

That's not a kneejerk, that's an opinion formed on watching Smith and Butt in midfield over a period of time.

Guest firetotheworks

Saying that things need to to be changed after 2 games. We did look s*** at times yesterday but that doesnt mean that any sort of football philosophy needs to be changed, just needs practicing in my opinion, were going in the right direction.Its not all about people saying we were s***, thats fair enough, its people saying we're a class act after one game and then saying things need to be changed after we draw against Villa.

Things do need to be changed though, a midfield of Butt, Geremi and Smith at home is shocking and creates nothing, at least at Bolton Allardyce had decent ball players in midfield in Speed and Campo but the lads we've got will create very little.

It was one game against one team. Last week in one game against one team it worked swimmingly, does that mean it will always work? No, but one game where it doesnt work doesnt mean it will never work. Theres the kneejerk youre looking for, rather than the jury still being out, which I think it should be.

If you noticed I did say at home, teams come here and like Villa yesterday are happy to sit back and hit us on the break, that means it's up to us as a team to create things and try to break them down, plenty of times yesterday one of our centre midfielders had the ball and turned around and past it backwards when they should have been looking to move it forward, it was like having Jenas and Parker back in the team and it isn't good enough.

That's not a kneejerk, that's an opinion formed on watching Smith and Butt in midfield over a period of time.

That time being 2 games? Thats not exactly well informed tbf. Youre right about the butt and Geremi passing it back, but again, one game. Its something to be worked on with Big Sam and the midfield in training, not nessassarily a change in personel. If they continue to be counter productive over a long period of time then fair enough I'll say you had great insight, but until then I'll give the new midfield a chance.

That time being 2 games? Thats not exactly well informed tbf. Youre right about the butt and Geremi passing it back, but again, one game. Its something to be worked on with Big Sam and the midfield in training, not nessassarily a change in personel. If they continue to be counter productive over a long period of time then fair enough I'll say you had great insight, but until then I'll give the new midfield a chance.

I was talking about seeing them in midfield over the last few years, in Butt case all of his career.

Yesterday we got a point, fair enough it was at home and was a bore draw, BUT last season with Super Glen we lost our 2nd game against Villa 2-0.

I cant stand all these knee jerk OMG WE ARE sh*t NOTHING HAS CHANGED reactions ive seen since the Villa game ended. Actually alot has changed, a new set up, a far better manager and a far better squad. For having

a midfield consisting of 2 defensive midfielders, a striker and a winger.

defense consisting of a sh*t RB, a youngster, a defender new to the Prem and a left winger did a f***ing outstanding job considering what i just mentioned and considering how sh*t our defense has been for years

I think we did excellent because it was easily a game we could have lost. I never expected our strikers to get much service today due to our midfield but we did have our chances. People need to remember this is just week 2 or 38. Our team needs time to gel and Sam needs time to get our tactics right, once he does that and once we get the likes of Barton, Duff and Emre back we will be banging them in, not to mention once Owen gets full fitness.

People need to get a reality check and remember we were getting beat by the likes of Sheffield Utd and Fulham last season at home, we probably would have been delighted with yesterdays result 6 months ago, people kept saying the Mackems will be beating us next season, relegation, doom and gloom etc. Well now we are a confident side so stop complaining and moaning and give Big Sam and the team some time and lets look forward to 3 points next week  :thup:

And how about those of us who didn't mind the fact we came away with a draw but our main complaint being the utter mind numbing boredom of a performance that was on show?

Guest firetotheworks

I was talking about seeing them in midfield over the last few years, in Butt case all of his career.

2 competative games together.

What difference does that make? If they didn't create anything from midfield at different clubs in the past then there's a good chance that they won't when they play together, which they haven't so far.

You're either creative in midfield or you're not, they have proven over a number of years that they're not.

Yesterday we got a point, fair enough it was at home and was a bore draw, BUT last season with Super Glen we lost our 2nd game against Villa 2-0.

I cant stand all these knee jerk OMG WE ARE sh*t NOTHING HAS CHANGED reactions ive seen since the Villa game ended. Actually alot has changed, a new set up, a far better manager and a far better squad. For having

a midfield consisting of 2 defensive midfielders, a striker and a winger.

defense consisting of a sh*t RB, a youngster, a defender new to the Prem and a left winger did a f***ing outstanding job considering what i just mentioned and considering how sh*t our defense has been for years

I think we did excellent because it was easily a game we could have lost. I never expected our strikers to get much service today due to our midfield but we did have our chances. People need to remember this is just week 2 or 38. Our team needs time to gel and Sam needs time to get our tactics right, once he does that and once we get the likes of Barton, Duff and Emre back we will be banging them in, not to mention once Owen gets full fitness.

People need to get a reality check and remember we were getting beat by the likes of Sheffield Utd and Fulham last season at home, we probably would have been delighted with yesterdays result 6 months ago, people kept saying the Mackems will be beating us next season, relegation, doom and gloom etc. Well now we are a confident side so stop complaining and moaning and give Big Sam and the team some time and lets look forward to 3 points next week  :thup:

Very much agreed.

For the Boro-game I want to see an offensive style and this line-up'(I take it as Given, Emre and Enrique will figure):

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Given:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Carr:::::::::::::Taylor:::::::::::::::::::Rozehnal::::::::::::Enrique

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Geremi::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Milner::::::::::::::::::::::::Emre::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::N`Zogbia

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::Martins::::Owen/Smith:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Subs: Harper, Cacapa, Solano, Luque, Viduka.

We don`t need Butt for this game, because this game we want to crush Boro with goals!

Guest Sniffer

Hence the reason I suggested the other day that rather than buy 4 more players at 2 mill each, we actually invest in a player with some ability on the ball. I was shot down with comments of "  shite " fron the likes of toonstaylor and a bunch of equal illiterates. Yesterdays games shows that we have a decent midfield when it comes to acquiring the ball but not many prople who can do much with it or provide many chances for the strikers.

Hopefully barton can do more but I question if emre is the man as he's too inconsistent. And I don't see a gascoigne amongst the young kids. So IMO, Sam has to raise his sights above the bargain basement, the question in my mind is whether he's capable of doing that.

Guest firetotheworks

What difference does that make? If they didn't create anything from midfield at different clubs in the past then there's a good chance that they won't when they play together, which they haven't so far.

You're either creative in midfield or you're not, they have proven over a number of years that they're not.

Fair point but I think it makes a big difference its also about a dynamic that players build between each other and their roles and resonsibilities and working within a system. Most people were in agreement that last week the shape, movement and interaction of the midfield with the forwards was good. This week it wasnt, Im not willing to write it off or call it the solution after 2 games. Thats all Im saying

Guest Darth Toon

We may have a new manager and some decent new players but it's a bit much to expect us to start sweeping all before us right from the off.

Sam is clearly building from the back - make us difficult to beat to start with, then once you have a solid platform you can try to develop a more expansive game. He made the point after the match that Villa are doing a similar thing and are 12 months further along than we are, yet we still pretty much matched them across the park.

I'm more than happy to take the long term view - this season is about righting the club on and off the pitch (let's not underestimate exactly how much of a shambles we had become), then we can push on - the fans have a crucial role here, and it's vital we stay patient and keep the jerking knees to a minimum.

Then next year we'll win the league easy!  :laugh2:

When you can muster 1 shot shot on target in a home game you fully deserve all the criticism that comes your way.

For me it was a very poor performance. More so because from the first minute the system never worked and wasn't changed - except the last desperate 10 minutes when we just pushed forward.

Play 4-4-2 - the players understand it. As has been said why make a wide player of a natural striker and expect a natural wide man to be a striker. Viduka was on his own against the entire back 4 for most of the game.

And does anyone really think you'll get the best out of Owen when he's being played wide? 

I don't think anyone disagrees with you right there regarding the tactics. Yes we were set up differently to what we've been used to, and certainly differently to what would be ideal with the players we have. However, Allardyce is clearly still testing things out (as its different in competitive conditions), and is trying to learn as much about his players as possible (esp before the window shuts), without having to compromise results (namely defeat).

Allardyce has said it himself, that he will be after results this season, and it is results only that will keep him his job. Any points picked up from any game, home or away, will do me personally. We will not be in Europe for playing attractive fluent football. We will get into Europe by collecting enough points to put us in a higher position than our closest rivals. As it stands, the longer we go unbeaten, the better. Tactics and best formations will follow.

I'm not one to talk as I do not live in the UK, and dont attend matches, but I must say, the performance of the home crowd (for a first home game of the season) was rather underwhelming! Had the tv turned up to max and heard f*** all bar the odd shouts at Howard Webb. And don;t even get me started on the booing.

As fans in the collective sense, we really have become an embarrassment at home, and home advantage is no longer that for the team. So people shouldn't be surprised we cant find that bit of extra push to beat teams like Villa at "home".

*tin hat donned

Absolutely spot on.

Seconded.

Gallowgate End, give us a song... ci? its called the first home game of the season, the idea is to support the team through the 90 minutes? But nar I'll sit on my arse arms folded and be as quick as anything to be vocally negatively . A bit of positive noise is too much to ask for, even if it dosent cost a penny to just use your bloody lungs.

Fact is you cant change people really, there can be as much build up/hype/positive talk about a better atmosphere as you want but at the end of the day its not going to change anything. To change the atmosphere the club have to bite the bullet and have the seating arrangements changed.

It was an average performance but I just cant believe how flat the place was especially considering its the first home game. Is it really such a hard task to be positive for the 90 minutes, do people not want to help lift the players?? But again, you cant change people. Bloody booing, who the fuck would want to be the team off yest? How sad.

But its a total culture of impatience in football which has been getting worse and worse. Demanding instance success, not forgiving any stumbles along the way, not really with the lads but demanding 5-0. Take the spurs fans, booing their players during the time, crisis time, total panic etc, then beating Derby and everything is so rosy 'Jol give us a wave', well bloody cheers its all good and well sticking with me and praising me when were winning, but a bit of togertherness and support during tough times would be a bit more appriated and make the good times a lot of satisfying!

Guest firetotheworks

Gallowgate End, give us a song... ci? its called the first home game of the season, the idea is to support the team through the 90 minutes? But nar I'll sit on my arse arms folded and be as quick as anything to be vocally negatively . A bit of positive noise is too much to ask for, even if it dosent cost a penny to just use your bloody lungs.

Fact is you cant change people really, there can be as much build up/hype/positive talk about a better atmosphere as you want but at the end of the day its not going to change anything. To change the atmosphere the club have to bite the bullet and have the seating arrangements changed.

It was an average performance but I just cant believe how flat the place was especially considering its the first home game. Is it really such a hard task to be positive for the 90 minutes, do people not want to help lift the players?? But again, you cant change people. Bloody booing, who the f*** would want to be the team off yest? How sad.

But its a total culture of impatience in football which has been getting worse and worse. Demanding instance success, not forgiving any stumbles along the way, not really with the lads but demanding 5-0. Take the spurs fans, booing their players during the time, crisis time, total panic etc, then beating Derby and everything is so rosy 'Jol give us a wave', well bloody cheers its all good and well sticking with me and praising me when were winning, but a bit of togertherness and support during tough times would be a bit more appriated and make the good times a lot of satisfying!

Good post. I actually got a bit of a funny look off this bloke yesterday for screaming 'come on' as loud as i could. I think its fair enough if you go to a match and just want to watch, but if youre gunna moan all the time you should fuck right off. A singing section would be brilliant, no fear of getting funny looks or feeling like a tit. Focusing the noise to one area would spread a lot more around the ground as well I think.

It was an average performance but I just cant believe how flat the place was especially considering its the first home game. Is it really such a hard task to be positive for the 90 minutes, do people not want to help lift the players?? But again, you cant change people. Bloody booing, who the f*** would want to be the team off yest? How sad.

Good post. I actually got a bit of a funny look off this bloke yesterday for screaming 'come on' as loud as i could. I think its fair enough if you go to a match and just want to watch, but if youre gunna moan all the time you should fuck right off. A singing section would be brilliant, no fear of getting funny looks or feeling like a tit. Focusing the noise to one area would spread a lot more around the ground as well I think.

It's not a crowd anymore, it's an audience. The lack of noise and support is an embarrassment. Viduka said before the game he couldn't wait to get out there and experience the Geordie support, I'll bet he was distinctly underwhelmed.

We still have a hardcore of "real" fans and I do hope the new management consider the idea of a "singing" area such as the Toon Ultras are advocating. We need it!

Atmosphere was fine IMO. Loud first half, went flat second but picked up again as we urged them to push forward. Some silly booing for a few seconds at the end but then polite applause. Nowt wrong with the crowd yesterday if you ask me.

I'm not one to talk as I do not live in the UK, and dont attend matches, but I must say, the performance of the home crowd (for a first home game of the season) was rather underwhelming! Had the tv turned up to max and heard f*** all bar the odd shouts at Howard Webb. And don;t even get me started on the booing.

F*cking cheek. "I'm not one to talk" doesn't excuse that.

Guest zerocipher

Oh f*** off. The supporters overseas are just as much a part of the fanbase. We pay those ridiculous prices for team swag, and then almost the same just to have it shipped. Don't try some bullshit about how we are lesser supporters. It's even harder here in the US where 90% of PL fans are for Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal. But I'll tell you 1 thing for sure. People here want to talk about getting into the top 4; if you watched the Liverpool game on TV today, you can easily see the difference in an atmosphere for the home side. Could just as well have been an away game for us yesterday.

Oh f*** off. The supporters overseas are just as much a part of the fanbase. We pay those ridiculous prices for team swag, and then almost the same just to have it shipped. Don't try some bullshit about how we are lesser supporters. It's even harder here in the US where 90% of PL fans are for Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal. But I'll tell you 1 thing for sure. People here want to talk about getting into the top 4; if you watched the Liverpool game on TV today, you can easily see the difference in an atmosphere for the home side. Could just as well have been an away game for us yesterday.

You're not a supporter, you're a fan. Therefore in no position to slag off people who actually went yesterday.

How much noise did you contribute yesterday? None.

So....  :-X

Guest zerocipher

You're not a supporter, you're a fan. No position to slag off people who actually went yesterday.

I'll tell you what. Come to NYC, and go to Nevada Smith's on a gameday and tell the Toon supporters there that they are just fans because they don't live in the UK. I get the feeling that you would fell like you were back in the middle of the heyday of hooliganism.

You're not a supporter, you're a fan. No position to slag off people who actually went yesterday.

I'll tell you what. Come to NYC, and go to Nevada Smith's on a gameday and tell the Toon supporters there that they are just fans because they don't live in the UK. I get the feeling that you would fell like you were back in the middle of the heyday of hooliganism.

Internet hardman. :lol:

They could kick me all over. They'd still be wrong, though. I'm sure plenty of paedophiles and rapists in prison could give me a kicking. Would that make them better than me by your logic?

Guest zerocipher

They could kick me all over. They'd still be wrong, though. I'm sure plenty of nonces in prison could give me a kicking. Would make them better than me in your way of thinking.

Wow. You are calling me names, after saying that there is no supporters outside of St James'. Did you have to work to achieve that level of stupidity or does it come naturally? If yours was the prevalent feeling among Geordies, NUFC would be stuck in League 1 with Leeds, millions more in debt. FFS, it costs me more to order a damn scarf than it does for you to go to a damn game. Attitudes like yours try to hold the team back rather than take it forward. It's pretty sad really.

They could kick me all over. They'd still be wrong, though. I'm sure plenty of nonces in prison could give me a kicking. Would make them better than me in your way of thinking.

Wow. You are calling me names, after saying that there is no supporters outside of St James'. Did you have to work to achieve that level of stupidity or does it come naturally? If yours was the prevalent feeling among Geordies, NUFC would be stuck in League 1 with Leeds, millions more in debt. FFS, it costs me more to order a damn scarf than it does for you to go to a damn game. Attitudes like yours try to hold the team back rather than take it forward. It's pretty sad really.

Yes, that's exactly why Leeds went bankrupt. They ignored the American market.  :rolleyes:

(Wow, yankee bought a fucking scarf)

Yes, that's exactly why Leeds went bankrupt. They ignored the American market.  :rolleyes:

(Wow, yankee bought a f****** scarf)

I agreed with you until you made this an UK vs. US issue, which is just ridiculous.  S.S.R. = Super Stevie Returns. 

(Wow, yankee bought a f****** scarf)

I agreed with you until you made this an UK vs. US issue, which is just ridiculous.  S.S.R. = Super Stevie Returns. 

Hey, that's not true. I'm very grateful for your completely arbitrary and tenuous interest in my local team.