They want to improve the atmosphere......

ToonTastic

.....then they need to sort out the police at the stadium. 2 PCs were near my at the match yesterday, also sat next to me was a youngish lad and his dad (think it's his dad might be wrong) As with the rest of the stadium everyone was singing and having a good time till the police decided that calling the ref a mackem was racist and said if any song like that was sang again they would remove them (they seemed to pick on these two despite there being plenty more people singing) from the stadium and arrest them. The male police office was adamant this was racist using the word mackem and said he would be happy to arrest anyone as it would stand up in court. When questioned what would happen on derby day they said there will be alot of people being arrested if people use that term. They also refused to allow anyone to stand when singing any song and said they would be kicked out. The police were finally moved to another entrance and everyone was able to enjoy the match but these two PCs spoilt the game for everyone in that section of the ground yesterday.

Being slightly serious though, saying "Mackem" is like saying "Geordie" or "Scouser". Apart from the Mackems not being a race, to be pedantic, the word isn't even remotely offensive.

Being slightly serious though, saying "Mackem" is like saying "Geordie" or "Scouser". Apart from the Mackems not being a race, to be pedantic, the word isn't even remotely offensive.

Aye, why didn't you just tell this copper that, ToonTastic?

Of course it's not, the word mackem has been around long before the PC brigade has. I wonder if that means it would have been racist if I called a fan at the match a Geordie ? Christ even the mackems call themselves mackems they hate being called Geordies.

The song by the way was "Whos the Mackem in the green" to the ref. Dread to think what would have happned if they had sang "who's the wanker in the green" :)

Basically though it stop most of the singing in our area until they left as the two PCs were just arguing with the crowd.

They were told this by someone near me, that was when the PC said I'm not going to argue with you, it will hold up in court and if I hear anyone else say it I will arrest them.

Guest Sniffer

Should have got his number and reported it and made a stink. The plods would have then looked as stupid as they act at times. Really makes you wonder if any of the plods at the top have any intelligence at all.

Guest firetotheworks

Fucking joke that like. if we make up a word other than mackem that means mackem in our heads, does that make it racist. Literally PC gone mad as S.S.R rightly says.

Make your feelings known to Big Dave at the club, this is his thing the security at the ground, there is no other way of getting this kind of thing sorted.

[email protected]

He is a great bloke and will take what you say as a serious point and act on it.

Yeah but it's the police in question here, not the stewards.

Its still Dave that sorts it out though, the coppers at the ground are still part of his job mate all the security is..

If you complained straight to the police nothing would happen, do it through Dave and it will be taken notice of.

Basically, the polis will lie and his mate will back him up if there are any complaints. Not saying it isn't worth voicing your disapproval if you witnessed this but that's how they work.

Guest firetotheworks

Just realised that surely if theyre pulling you up for calling someone a mackem then they obviously see that as an insult, which makes them a seperatist, or in other words a racist. I think most mackems would be embarressed to know that geordies have been pulled up on this. just as we would be if a mackem got pulled up for calling someone a geordie.

That particular PC was probably bullied at school and has become a power whore. Pathetic cunt

With the match being as boring as it was, I'd have been tempted to carry on singing it. Call his bluff, because that would never get close to court, and he'd probably have got a bollocking off his CO for being such a tool.

Does he think 'geordie' is racist too? Cos he's gonna have a hell of a job arresting 40-50,000 when some songs get going.

Stewards , Police are all wankers where i am tbh.

I mean yesterday , all of level 7 , sang that song , Keano wanks his dog or whatever , and the police pulled a lad who looked about 17/18 saying i will throw you out if i hear that again , his father was with him and said here look mate thered 2000 other newcastle fans singing it , and you pull my son because he looks the youngest.

Police always seem to pick on the younger fans as there an easy target and are less likely to get any hassle from them.

The atmosphere will never improve unless the club sort the security policiy out , and also introduce a designated area for fans to sit if they want to sing ,, this way there will be no complaints from people who just want to watch the football and nothing else. It will create a more away match like atmosphere , and the people in the suites , and all the women with there new lovely hairstyles wont be disturbed by a fan who wants to back his team singing.

FOOTBALL FOR FANS NOT CORPRATES(sp)!!!!!!!!