Owen 4-3-3 rant!

KaKa

Well ... maybe rant is a bit strong but some interesting comments none the less!  :yikes:

One question that remains unanswered is how Sam Allardyce, the Newcastle manager, will fit Owen into his team if he persists with 4-3-3.

“I have never been asked to play other than one up front or one of two before, but I am sure the manager knows my strengths,” he said.

“That is in the 18-yard box, so I wouldn’t have thought he would put me anywhere that would stop me getting in the box and scoring goals. It normally takes me two or three games before I start firing again after injury. Maybe that is the case again.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/euro_2008/article2317558.ece

So ... doesn't look like Owen is even being open minded about this at all. It's either play him up top as a striker or forget about it. Interesting that he mentions being played as a lone striker though, anyone think Sam might try the 4-3-3 with Owen as the middle/main striker? It would mean no long balls and much more intricate passing, which would be good, but could we pull this off? I wouldn't mind seeing us try it.

Alternatively, if we played the 4-3-3 with Owen as the main striker and Alan Smith as one of the wide forwards, we could probably rely on Smith to provide us with a physical presence from that position when we need it. This would mean going diagonal to Smith, should we need to play the long ball.

What do people think about these latest developments?

He's absolutely right. His strength is up front in a 4-4-2, and he is right to assume Allardyce knows this.

See that's the interesting thing though, he doesn't mention the 4-4-2 and neither does he solely mention playing alongside another striker. He just talks about being played as an out and out striker even if it means being a lone striker.

This is why I started talking about him being the out and out striker in the 4-3-3. I'm just interested to know if people think this might work. Taking into account the other players we have.

He's absolutely right. His strength is up front in a 4-4-2, and he is right to assume Allardyce knows this.

See that's the interesting thing though, he doesn't mention the 4-4-2 and neither does he solely mention playing alongside another striker. He just talks about being played as an out and out striker even if it means being a lone striker.

This is why I started talking about him being the out and out striker in the 4-3-3. I'm just interested to know if people think this might work. Taking into account the other players we have.

Touché.

Guest Hodgson09

It will be interesting to see how Big Sam sets the team out when Owen is fit. If we're playing 4-3-3 he has to be in the middle at the cost of Viduka.

Viduka does such a good job of holding up play which I think we will miss. Martins has that electric pace and great shooting. Owen is the best poacher at the club. Ameobi has been looking good. I'd play Smith in midfield. Oh and Milner looks undroppable at the moment.

We really are spoilt for choices!

I guess who ever performs well in training will get picked which is great no guaranteed starters they will all be wanting to play and only the best will.

I would like to see Ameobi and Martins together in a 4-4-2.

Viduka and Owen with Owen sitting behind Dukes would be class.

Owen is basically confirming he is a moocher, admittedly one of the best around. What disappoints me is he is waxing lyrical about Mclaren's leadership, which is doomed to failure, while he doesn't like to talk much about Newcastle at all.

Dont think it would work, because we dont have the players to afford him as the lone forward. If we were Barcelona, and Owen were to be playing the same role as Eto'o for example, hed probably excel because the rest of the team is great at keeping possession, building up play, and creating chances, whilst Owen could concentrate on making his runs and getting on the end of chances.

This team under Allardyce's system, however, will most likely need that lone striker to be doing the much of the possession and build up work. We'll be playing it up to the lone striker first, and then things go from there.

Dont think it would work, because we dont have the players to afford him as the lone forward. If we were Barcelona, and Owen were to be playing the same role as Eto'o for example, hed probably excel because the rest of the team is great at keeping possession, building up play, and creating chances, whilst Owen could concentrate on making his runs and getting on the end of chances.

This team under Allardyce's system, however, will most likely need that lone striker to be doing the much of the possession and build up work. We'll be playing it up to the lone striker first, and then things go from there.

Some great points here. What if we played Alan Smith as one of the wide forwards, from where he could occassionally provide a physical presence upfront, and we had Geremi, Barton and Emre in midfield? That might have a better chance of working.

I swear Sam played the 4-3-3 with Anelka up top and Kevin Davies out wide at times last season, and in these instances when they played it long it went diagonally to Davies. Maybe Alan Smith could be used in a similar fashion.

Well ... maybe rant is a bit strong but some interesting comments none the less!  :yikes:

One question that remains unanswered is how Sam Allardyce, the Newcastle manager, will fit Owen into his team if he persists with 4-3-3.

I have never been asked to play other than one up front or one of two before, but I am sure the manager knows my strengths, he said.

That is in the 18-yard box, so I wouldnt have thought he would put me anywhere that would stop me getting in the box and scoring goals. It normally takes me two or three games before I start firing again after injury. Maybe that is the case again.

So ... doesn't look like Owen is even being open minded about this at all. It's either play him up top as a striker or forget about it. Interesting that he mentions being played as a lone striker though, anyone think Sam might try the 4-3-3 with Owen as the middle/main striker? It would mean no long balls and much more intricate passing, which would be good, but could we pull this off? I wouldn't mind seeing us try it.

Alternatively, if we played the 4-3-3 with Owen as the main striker and Alan Smith as one of the wide forwards, we could probably rely on Smith to provide us with a physical presence from that position when we need it. This would mean going diagonal to Smith, should we need to play the long ball.

OMG! You're a genius. Die. Please.

Some great points here. What if we played Alan Smith as one of the wide forwards, from where he could occassionally provide a physical presence upfront, and we had Geremi, Barton and Emre in midfield? That might have a better chance of working.

I swear Sam played the 4-3-3 with Anelka up top and Kevin Davies out wide at times last season, and in these instances when they played it long it went diagonally to Davies. Maybe Alan Smith could be used in a similar fashion.

Owen made a similar statement during the World Cup - effectively that he's an out and out striker and there's no point in asking him to play another role.

The Barca point is a good one, but we have to face it that we can't play that way and we will have to use the main striker as a target man some of the time.

It's a bit of a worry, because I think that Owen should be thinking of adapting his game, not sticking to what he knows and expecting the team to fit around him.

“I have never been asked to play other than one up front or one of two before, but I am sure the manager knows my strengths,” he said.

“That is in the 18-yard box, so I wouldn’t have thought he would put me anywhere that would stop me getting in the box and scoring goals. It normally takes me two or three games before I start firing again after injury. Maybe that is the case again.

OMG! You're a genius. Die. Please.

Another pointless individual, with no opinion, trying to be quirky, controversial and "different".

Don't be mad because you lack the intelligence, ability or capacity to say anything worthwhile that goes further than a one line put down.

I would love to rip into you, but out of respect for Dave (those damn private messages!) I'll hold back.

You've been warned though ... ask Verlame about me. I could feast on punks like you all day.

:knuppel2: